Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Micro 4/3rds Camera Advie
  • PrinceJohn

I’ve got a Panasonic M4/3rds camera with a kit lens, & I also have an ageing Nikon D40 with alot of dirt on the sensor.

I’m going up to Fort William for the world cup & would like to take some camera equipment with me, but the kit lens on the m4/3 is pretty limiting.

What I’d like to do is use the Nikon lenses I have on the M4/3. I understand it’s possible to get an adaptor to allow me to use nikon fitting lenses on the M4/3 camera, but I have no idea which one is best to use (google throws up so many answers it’s somewhat confusing!).

However that said – is it possible to get the sensor properly cleaned on the D40? I had it done locally ages ago & it really made very little difference to quality – so again any recommendations for someone I could send it to?

geetee1972
    Free Member

Sorry I can’t help you with the questions you pose, but bear in mind the crop factor when using the Nikon lenses with the Micro 4/3 camera. The crop factor is about 1.5 on the Nikon body; I am guessing here but it will possibly be 1.7 to 2 on the M 4/3 body.

That would make a 50mm lense act like up to a 100mm lens. That might be a good thing for sports photography but it will depend on the aperture and the ISO setting.

PrinceJohn

Oooh hadn’t thought about that…

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

You can get adaptors cheaply, but they don’t let you autofocus – manual only. Might not be the best for sports

molgrips
    Free Member

You can get adapters yes but I also think you need to set the aperture somehow as well. Lots of info online about it.

nicko74

Crop factor on M4/3 is 2, IIRC

vinnyeh

is the dust noticeable on the images from the Nikon then? And more so than can easily be removed in processing?

Reason I’m asking is that the majority of m4/3 cameras use contrast detection autofocus, which is not great for moving objects, especially when moving to or from you, and is also very weak when taking bursts of shots. As you may be doing.
    I’d really, really try to use the D40.

molgrips
    Free Member

However on modern M43s the CDAF is so fast it’s actually better than older PDAF.

vinnyeh

I knew you’d have something to say…… 😆

In certain situations yes, but not for fast movement except maybe for the em1, but I’ve gone from nikon dslr to an em5 and the difference is marked, and not in Olympus’ favour.

IA

Owning/owned all the cameras and adapters talked about above.

Short story:

If you’ve only got Nikon G lenses (no aperture ring), don’t bother. You can’t easily set the aperture and so it’s not worth it.

You’re unlikely to have non-G lenses on a D40 as that means either you’d not have AF (as they need the body motor to drive them which the D40 lacks) or they’d be old lenses you’re shooting full-manual. If that’s the case, any adapter will do, you’ll still be manually focusing, but get auto exposure – crack on.

In what way is the panasonic kit lens limiting you? Quality wise they’re excellent, – I assume you mean you want a longer focal length? The panasonic 45-200 is good. Otherwise I used a manual focus nikon 70-200f/4 with an adapter till I got the pany. Should be able to pick up a decent 70-200f4 F-mount and adapter for about £40 all in…

If you’ve a G or a GH then that’s fine, the GX/GF “compacts” without the grip/viewfinder are a hassle with the longer/heavier lenses.

molgrips
    Free Member

It depends on how good the tracking is on the DSLR. On mine it’s not that good anyway, so you end up prefocusing which works well enough as a technique.

Russell96

I have also got an adaptor that I use with some Nikon AF-D lenses so have manual focus and aperture control. Only issue I have found is using a lens wide open can result in some purple-ish lens flare due to the light reflecting back off the sensor which isn’t an issue on a DSLR.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Micro 4/3rds Camera Advie’ is closed to new replies.