Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • Michelin Stars
  • benz
    Free Member

I’ve never eaten at a Michelin starred restaurant.

However, I’ve just spent a few hours with a mate who has a small boat and some creels. So having just eaten freshly cooked lobster, crab (inc the liver…) and some mackerel he caught yesterday and smoked last night, I’m struggling to conceive of anything nicer.

So, is it worth a trip to our nearest 2 Michelin starred restaurant?

Curious…

MrPottatoHead

My only experience was on our honeymoon. The taste of the food was amazing, but it really was a case of so much flavour being packed into the smallest portion imaginable. A different wine was served with each of the 4 courses and we were feeling pretty pissed by the end without any proper food to soak it up (no, we aren’t big drinkers!!). Afterwards, we went and bought a pizza.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Depends what Michelin stared restaurant it is.

I’ve eaten in quite a few, some are better than others and it’s a bit like any other restaurant really except you are paying for quality and service.

I struggle to find anything better than Ottelinghi’s Nopi or his Warwick St restaurant TBH.

But good locally sourced freshly cooked is very very hard to beat IMO.

andytherocketeer

thought this thread was going to be about the latest fashion, which is handing back Michelin stars
    https://sbnn.co.uk/2017/09/28/5-star-highland-hotel-wants-hand-back-michelin-star/

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Yes

onehundredthidiot

Tasty expensive sometimes strange, expensive.

Was at a good restaurant last evening that is Michelin recognised. The owner/chef would rather not be as it just attracts moany flashy types.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I had a Mcflurry after going to The Fat Duck.

Depends doesn’t it. Fat Duck and Noma were awesome, like going to the theatre, Fäviken near me was insane. These chefs are artists maaaaan, truly.

The snooty restaurant vibe is not for me, Michelin or not

They have given Michelin stars to sushi shacks in Japan, a chicken and rice kiosk in Singapore (I think)

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Depends what Michelin stared restaurant it is.

I’ve eaten in quite a few, some are better than others and it’s a bit like any other restaurant really except you are paying for quality and service.

Correct.

rice kiosk in Singapore

Liao Fan in Singapore is/was epic in its deliciousness and cheapness. Chicken Rice, not just rice. Is now over run with tourists, sadly.

Cougar

I’m reasonably sure that the number of Michelin Stars is directly proportional to an establishment’s degree of pretentious wan- er, frippery.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Cougar you up for going to the one that serves it’s food on an IPad then?

Sandwich

Only eaten in one starred establishment. It was a great meal, simple ingredients in well executed dishes. No sign of

pretentious wan- er, frippery

ratherbeintobago

I’m reasonably sure that the number of Michelin Stars is directly proportional to an establishment’s degree of pretentious wan- er, frippery.

I’m not sure that’s wholly true. Mind you, I’ve only eaten in a starred restaurant once (on Skye).

I thought One Devonshire Gardens had one but it appears not, and they’re declining to go for it as they reckon it leads to cooking to win awards rather than please customers.

We’ve eaten out of the Michelin Eating In Pubs guide lots, mind you.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Alternatively it’s a recognition of extraordinary hard work over many years and genuine excellence.

And they vary a lot – Hsnd of Flowers in Marlow is just a pub. Great place hence the waiting list

How many have you experience to be “reasonably sure”?

rone

Got to be worth a shot once in your lifetime.

Went to Sat Bains, great experience. Very labour intensive food. I can see where the money goes.

I loved the whole experience and got to chat in his kitchen.

Wines are what make these experiences super expensive.

I’ve enjoyed all the starred places I’ve been to.There is an element of pretence but equally it’s always nice to see people doing things well.

But then equally you can’t beat fish and chips in beef dripping.

wallop

Had a few, like someone above said – it’s generally a notch above and doesn’t always cost a fortune (Pony & Trap near Bristol is an excellent example).

What is the two star restaurant the OP has nearby? I had two star recently – couldn’t say it was that different to one star but it was pretty cool.

jonba
    Free Member

Went to the one in Newcastle. It was really nice. I wouldn’t go after a big ride if all you want is a massive plate of carbs.

I actually preferred a similarly priced non star restaurant. They seemed to be more creative and fun with their menu.

Worth it in my view. Tasting menu was £75. Spent more on less enjoyable experiences.

Cougar

Cougar you up for going to the one that serves it’s food on an IPad then?

SRSLY?

I’m not sure that’s wholly true. Mind you, I’ve only eaten in a starred restaurant once (on Skye).

Did they have plates?

pondo

Been to Purnells in Brum, a treat for Mrs Pondo’s birthday, and it was marvellous. We were well out of our social comfort zone but they couldn’t have been nicer, food was amazing – not tbe biggest meal ever, but we were both nicely full and able to enjoy the rest of the evening.

D’you know, I think we went in my R reg Citroen Dispatch van. I always was a classy feller. 🙂

jambalaya
    Free Member

Simple answer yes. Longer answer it depends on many things. Some are outstanding value offering exceptional food for the price (be that 1, 2 or 3 stars) others are over priced gimmekry (looking at you Heston).

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

If you go into a restaurant with Michelin stars then at least you have a good idea before you go of the style of food that you are going to be getting and the standard of service and the size of the bill . If you like that then all well and good , if not then there are plenty of good restaurants that are slightly lower down the pecking order that you can go to . FWIW long before this current story of a restaurant not wanting to be Michelin graded hit the news I refused to change the way I served a number of dishes which the AA inspector wanted me to do in order to get a third AA rosette . I told him that the restaurant was full nearly every night and that I cooked for my customers and any AA recognition was a bonus but not the most important thing .

jimjam
    Free Member

rone – Member

Got to be worth a shot once in your lifetime.

Depends if you’re a food person or not I suppose, or if you would get any mileage telling people about your experience. I could eat the same thing Monday to Friday and admittedly that can be boring but I don’t really mind.

If I’m eating out I want a relaxed atmosphere as well as naughty food.

bikebouy
    Free Member

We’ve got Gordon Ramsey’s place just up the river from the Appt, once it was blooming excellent, exquisite even.. but then it just plummeted downhill when a fabulous and cheap Italian pizza restaurant opened just down the road in Wapping.. everyone went there after that.. Gordon uses it for his trainee chefs now (has done for about 10yrs) and it’s still very good, for a pub.
    Locatellis in Marlybone is well worth it, simple Italian rustic food cooked to perfection in a very very relaxed atmos’ We go a couple of times a year with friends and it’s consistently gratifying.

Still sticking with Ottelinghi tho’ just too darn good for its own good..

jimdubleyou

I’ve eaten at quite a few, the Waterside Inn (Roux bros) in Bray and Vila Joya in Albufiera were stand outs, but then they should be as they have 3 and 2 stars respectively.

Worth it for a special occasion.

tonyg2003

I’ve eaten in a few and generally they have been great. MrsG and I ate in one in Florence earlier this year Le Bottega del Buon Caffe and had an amazing multi course tasting menu.

rone

Depends if you’re a food person or not I suppose, or if you would get any mileage telling people about your experience

The OP is Michelin and food curious though.

rone

Despite being a gluten I quite like the small portions and the technical details you don’t get from gastro pubs.

It makes a nice change.

Their not beyond criticism though, chances are you won’t like all 10 courses of a given tasting menu. And some of their service charges are a little rude.

sbob
    Free Member

My local starred eatery is Alimentum in Cambridge. Haven’t been for a little while but have never needed a top-up Burger King after their seven course taster (now £80), and a three course lunch can be had for £35 so not too spendy.
    I’m full blown scum and have always been made to feel welcome.
    There’s a two star in town as well (Midsummer House) but I don’t think it offers VFM in comparison.

jimjam
    Free Member

rone – Member

The OP is Michelin and food curious though.

Definitely, fair point. He did mention freshly cooked seafood on a boat too and no doubt the sense of occasion in both cases adds a lot to the food.

tonyg2003

Didn’t realise Alimentum is Michelin starred – I’ve had some great meals there in the past.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

You can get a 2 or 3 course lunch at a Michelin star restaurant close to me for £25 if you go at lunchtime. That’s what you could pay for a “posh” burger if you hit the sides hard.

It’s like trying to describe chocolate to someone who’s not eaten it before. It’s easier to go there and find out.

Hopefully you have a good time. A couple I’ve been to have been a bit of a let down. Not because the food was bad, but because I was expecting better. The first time you go to one is always pretty special. I think you’ll enjoy it.

Also, no idea how you could eat a McFlurry after all 7 or is it 8 courses at the Fat Duck.

cheers_drive

Alimentum isn’t a patch on Midsummer House. Not saying the food was bad but I’d rather pay the extra and get the truly special.
    Wife and vowed to visit one every year for our anniversary, then our daughter was born and we’ve not had a night out together in over 2 years 😥

bob_summers

There are three places with three stars in town. Sorry, but for the same price of two tasting menus at Arzak I would rather get a flight to Manchester, curry of the day in This n That, and a few beers in the Briton’s.

brant
    Free Member

L’Enclume was ace.

Had a great roll mop herring in Scarborough today though.

Quite different.

shadowrider
    Free Member

My pal owns Purnells, he is a very nice bloke. I’ve been quite a few times and the food is amazing, well worth a visit in my opinion.I’ve been to the other Michelin star places in Brum and must say they are all top quality. I’m not a food snob at all but these places do seem to take food to a different level.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Went to the one in Newcastle.

Terry Laybourne’s place, Cafe 21 or something?

Michelin stars = Art on a Plate.

I’m a greedy pig & like to feel stuffed after I’ve paid 1/2 a mortgage for some pretentious arty shite. 😆

tomhoward

I’ve eaten at a few 1 star places, both here and abroad, they were brilliant, only eaten at one 2 star, La Gavroche, and it was incredible. Michel jr was there to greet us and everything, not pretentious at all. Finished the meal thoroughly full, and suitably pissed.

3 star doesn’t really appeal, as it seems to be about giving an ‘experience’ rather giving you a good meal.

wallop

La Gavroche is the top of my list but never managed to plan far enough ahead to get a table 😆

Garry_Lager

Couple I’ve been to I’ve found the food cheap but the wine expensive, a mis-alignment that I guess balances out. Like the food is a step change above normal dining, absolute artistry that would be a bargain at double the price. A £100 bottle of wine, however, is far more of an incremental proposition. So great for teetotallers!

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Been to a few over the years. Very mixed. Some exceptional and some terrible.

Worst by far was the Yorke Arms

fourbanger
    Free Member

Some exceptional and some terrible.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Michelin Stars’ is closed to new replies.