Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Michelin Crossclimate – all season tyre, hype true?
  • mudmuncher

Wife’s car is due 4 tyres and was debating whether to try the nokian weatherproof accepting they’ll be better in the winter but worse in the summer or get another set of summer tyres.

Just seen the Michelin Crossclimates that claim to have the same stopping distance as a summer tyre in the summer but come close to winter tyre performance in the cold/snow.

Any experience. Can I have my cake and eat it?

The michelins would work out quite a lot more expensive though.

spooky_b329

I don’t think you’ll notice much drop in performance in the summer, my wife has weatherproofs and the only thing I’ve noticed is a slight increase in tyre whine, but only on very smooth roads at lower speeds in hot weather.

The downside of weatherproofs, at least last year, was they are not generally imported so I had to buy mine online and got a local garage to fit, which does mean you get stung a bit more on the fitting charges.

The weatherproofs are probably the most aggressive all-season tyre but also seems to get the best all round ratings.

If its not a particularly powerful car, take a look at the Kleber Quadraxer, another all-season and made by Michelin.

It sounds like CrossClimates are all-season with a summer bias, Weatherproofs are all-season with a winter bias.

After having various combinations of winter and all-season tyres over the last few years, I don’t think I’ll ever buy a ‘summer’ tyre again, a small trade off in the summer, for a big advantage, particularly when its slushy/icy, in the winter.

jambalaya
    Free Member

There gave been lots of threads recommending different all season tyres. I am intending to put them on my next car as and when the time comes

Fresh Goods Friday 697 - The Sprunnng! Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 697 - The Sprunn...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    CountZero

EVO magazine test here: http://www.evo.co.uk/features/15600/michelin-cross-climate-vs-winter-and-all-season-tyres
    They look very impressive, ideal for the UK I’d say.

plumslikerocks
    Free Member

Honest John (former Telegraph Motoring writer) swears by Cross Climates. After a few months on his long termer, the only criticism he can find is that they feel very pressure sensitive.

km79
    Free Member

I have had mine coming up to a year now. They’ll be my next tyres as well. Fit and forget, handled everything a Scottish autumn, winter, spring and summer has thrown at them thus far.

Waderider
    Free Member

I’ve got a set on the front of my old motor and I can confirm they are round and black, and have done the tyre thing very well to date.

chorlton
    Free Member

How are people with all season tyres finding them for wear? We had some of the cheaper Nexen N Priz 4s fitted last winter and the fronts are looking like they might just about get us to Christmas.

irc

Wear? I’ve got Goodyear Vector 4 Seasons on my Octavia. After about 8k miles the fronts are down about 2mm. Roughly from 8mm new to 6mm. So with my 10k a year mileage I’ll get 2 years out them anyway. Probably need to replace 1 pair after that. Not as long lasting as the original equipment summer Bridgestones but quieter, better in the wet all year round and far better in winter obviously.
    Well worth the slight extra cost and possibly slighly shorter life.

spooky_b329

Just read that EVO test…what are Michelin on about…’a summer tyre with winter certification’ / they ‘borrow tread structure and compound chemistry from winter tyres’ Thats an All Season tyre…

Anyway, as much as I think all-seasons and winters are under-rated and a good thing to have…that test is rubbish, dry virgin snow, I bet a normal summer tyre could keep up in those conditions. Wet snow, and hard compacted snow is the real test, and they actually admit in that article that as soon as the snow started to polish the performance between the tyres opened up.

The snow covered ramp outside was much more relevant.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Michelin Crossclimate – all season tyre, hype true?’ is closed to new replies.