Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • Michael Casey gets 6 years for killing 2 AFD athletes
  • surfer
    Free Member

Tragic loss. Incredibly difficult to sentence. Cant help but think it should have been double.

Sentencing

Pigface
    Free Member

Rubbish excuse, does seem lenient, but I am not a judge.

ads678

6 years! Should have been 60. Drink drivers should have the book thrown at them. There is no excuse!

Kahurangi

I thought killing someone on a bike these days got you a slap on the wrist because a driving ban would cause hardship and going to jail might make you lose your job?

A custodial sentence seems to be a victory for the rest of the population TBH.

DezB
    Free Member

I thought killing someone on a bike these days

They were runners. On a pedestrian crossing. Teenaged girls.
    Ridiculously lenient.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I thought killing someone on a bike these days got you a slap on the wrist

They weren’t on bikes.

molgrips
    Free Member

You lot aren’t judges, you didn’t hear the case, and you haven’t met the guy after the accident. You can’t really judge if it’s appropriate or not.

This comes up every time there’s a case like this. You need to have a bit of a think about what the criminal justice system is supposed to do and what the point of sentences is.

DezB
    Free Member

You might want to explain that to Helen Burrows too.

outofbreath
    Free Member

“You might want to explain that to Helen Burrows too.”

Do you think she’d be able to objectively consider this sentence?

theotherjonv

This was very close to home for me – friend’s daughters were / are at the same school as the girls, etc.- and for a bloke to be over the limit, speeding, and ‘distracted’ where his friend had thrown up in the passenger footwell earlier – I’m struggling to see what impact remorse or what he’s like afterwards has to the people involved.

Sometimes saying sorry isn’t good enough.

zippykona

I posted this in another thread. It’s a bit more realistic.

Bike-blocking dangerous driver gets 15-year sentence: Report

outofbreath
    Free Member

So if this guy had deliberately killed the girls you’d only want him to get 15/years?

plyphon
    Free Member

Casey was given a six-year jail sentence which means he should be released on licence after three years.

Admittedly this bit here does seem lenient.

dovebiker

He’ll get dismissed from the Army for his troubles too, but I fail to see why a substantial driving ban isn’t in order, seems the judges have too much concern for the human rights of the perp rather than victim.

outofbreath
    Free Member

I fail to see why a substantial driving ban isn’t in order

Isn’t a ban automatic for Death by Dangerous Driving?

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m struggling to see what impact remorse or what he’s like afterwards has to the people involved.

So what impact does a lengthy jail sentence have on the people involved?

surfer
    Free Member

Casey was given a six-year jail sentence which means he should be released on licence after three years.

This is standard, all sentences are halved.

You lot aren’t judges, you didn’t hear the case, and you haven’t met the guy after the accident. You can’t really judge if it’s appropriate or not.

This comes up every time there’s a case like this. You need to have a bit of a think about what the criminal justice system is supposed to do and what the point of sentences is.

Mollie you are right we dont know the detail of the case however being remorseful after the event should only carry so much weight. I would be surprised for example if the Judge had revised the sentence down based on this.

The criminal justice system is supposed to do a number of things. One of which is to sentence to deter. IMO the Judge should have sent out a clear message that although Casey never went out to kill these children his actions brought it about, he was reckless and callous and the consequences are catastrophic.

The Criminal justice system is also there to punish. The withdrawal of Caseys liberty is punishment however IMO his liberty will not be removed for long enough.

One more role of the Criminal justice system is to ensure that Justice is “seen” to be done. I think it has failed in this instance.

As a parent it is heartbreaking to see these children killed before their lives have begun.

Edit:

So what impact does a lengthy jail sentence have on the people involved?

As above,

molgrips
    Free Member

Mollie you are right we dont know the detail of the case however being remorseful after the event should only carry so much weigh

There can be more to it than remorse. If a person is completely mentally destroyed by the consequences of his actions, then what’s the point in locking him up at all?

I know I’ve been distracted whilst driving before now. I could’ve caused an accident a few times in my life. Should I be locked up now?

IMO the Judge should have sent out a clear message that although Casey never went out to kill these children his actions brought it about, he was reckless and callous and the consequences are catastrophic

Most people aren’t that keen on killing people as it is – a sentence in this case doesn’t make a difference. The reason that people don’t pay attention when driving isn’t because they don’t mind kiling people; it’s because they don’t think an accident will happen to them. It’s a question of competence, not intent.

surfer
    Free Member

If a person is completely mentally destroyed by the consequences of his actions, then what’s the point in locking him up at all?

My emphasis. What do you mean by “mentally destroyed” and how do you quantify that? I think it would have been mentioned in the report if some psychological element to sentencing then I suspect that would have been reported.

I answered the latter part of your question above.

Most people aren’t that keen on killing people as it is

Obvs but we still incarcerate people who kill without intent. When there is clearly no benefit (and as above I have illustrated why in this case I think he should be imprisoned) we dont.

outofbreath
    Free Member

I’ve read somewhere that in studies where people are given all the facts they generally agree with sentences imposed by Uk courts.

Current (I think) sentencing guidelines here:
    https://www.sentencingcouncil.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/web_causing_death_by_driving_definitive_guideline.pdf

surfer
    Free Member

@OOB maybe your right, I “sense” this is lenient in this instance but regardless I do take issue with Mollies comment:

Most people aren’t that keen on killing people as it is – a sentence in this case doesn’t make a difference

molgrips
    Free Member

What do you mean by “mentally destroyed” and how do you quantify that? I think it would have been mentioned in the report if some psychological
    element to sentencing then I suspect that would have been reported.

You have more faith in the media than I do 🙂

surfer
    Free Member

Its not about that

DezB
    Free Member

The reason that people don’t pay attention when driving isn’t because they don’t mind kiling people; it’s because they don’t think an accident will happen to them. It’s a question of competence, not intent.

Years driving ban and a few points on the license for all ‘death by dangerous driving’ offences should suffice then. (Obviously 6 months ban if it’s a cyclist killed)

molgrips
    Free Member

Long, long driving ban could be appropriate also I think.

Its not about that

Point is, we really haven’t enough information, so the whole thread is pointless. It just gets people’s outrage whipped up which, when not grounded in fact, is an ugly thing.

surfer
    Free Member

I think your irony antennae need retuning

surfer
    Free Member

Point is, we really haven’t enough information, so the whole thread is pointless. It just gets people’s outrage whipped up which, when not grounded in fact, is an ugly thing.

I think there is sufficient information from a number of “reliable” sources to make a judgement that 3yrs for 2 deaths is inappropriate. I think you could use that argument if we were discussing finer margins.

Bear in mind there is enough information for you to say this:

a sentence in this case doesn’t make a difference

theotherjonv

Justice is there to punish, to protect society, and to rehabilitate. I see what is being said about agreeing with sentencing when all facts are known, but to kill two teenage girls and remove their lives and destroy the lives of their families and loved ones, for a penalty of 3 years when it finally comes to it – doesn’t seem right at all.

And while he might not have intended to kill, he was handling a deadly weapon having consciously decided to drink, consciously decided to drive, consciously decided to speed (and it wasn’t speeding on a country road and hitting another car, it was speeding in a 30mph on a busy road through Aldershot) and consciously then got distracted by his mate’s vomit in the footwell. And yes, i say consciously because no-one else made him do those things and if there’s any element of ‘involuntary’ to the driving, speeding or distraction it’s because of his completely voluntary choice to get drunk in the first place and hence imho, irrelevant.

Until drivers are sentenced appropriately for making conscious decisions that can with reasonable foresight be expected to lead to the killing of innocent people……. until then the issue isn’t ‘I don’t think it’ll happen to me’ but ‘I don’t think it’ll happen to me and the consequences (for me) aren’t that bad either’. In the case of drink driving it needs to be ‘I don’t think it’ll happen to me BUT IF IT DOES I’M GOING TO PRISON FOR A LONG TIME irrespective of outcome’ – then it becomes a proper deterrent.

molgrips
    Free Member

I think there is sufficient information from a number of “reliable” sources to make a judgement that 3yrs for 2 deaths is inappropriate.

And yet people with much more experience, training and knowledge of the case disagree with you.

Can you all please spell out your reasoning based on the case and provide your credentials?

scotroutes

So why bother with a sentence at all? After all, it was purely “accidental” and he didn’t go out with the intention of killing someone.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

So…

Over the limit…

Jumps a red light…

Kills 2 children…

& 6 yrs is enough?? (Out in 3???)

WTAF?!

Where’s the deterrent there??

I don’t think you require an awful lot more background to realise that’s fukted up..

There can be more to it than remorse. If a person is completely mentally destroyed by the consequences of his actions, then what’s the point in locking him up at all?

Ah, so I’m supposed to feel sorry for the pissed up squaddie who ran down two young girls….right, like fuk. He made the choice to sit behind the wheel..

If you can’t do the time, fekin etc..

(You may have noticed I have little time for drivers who choose to get behind the wheel when they fukin well shouldn’t & then cause an accident…)

epicyclo

theotherjonv – Member

^ Well said.

I reckon it should be a ban for life if you kill of permanently disable someone like that.

You have demonstrated that your thinking faculties are deficient, and you can’t cure stupid.

tpbiker
    Free Member

I know I’ve been distracted whilst driving before now. I could’ve caused an accident a few times in my life. Should I be locked up now?

Were you pished at the time? If so then probably yes.

natrix
    Free Member

He has done a 6 month tour of Afghanistan though, to most aldershot judges this is like a get-out-of-jail free card…….

surfer
    Free Member

Can you all please spell out your reasoning based on the case and provide your credentials?

I’ll summarise

Over the limit…

Jumps a red light…

Kills 2 children.

Are you disputing any of that? If not then IMO that is sufficient.

Can you list your credentials given you dont think it should have been a custodial sentence? After all the Judge disagreed with you to a greater extent. In fact you appear to be the only one at that end of the spectrum.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

I saw the link to the sentencing guidelines. It’s way too much for me to read. I do wonder how many boxes were ticked though.

And the thought crosses my mind, as it does when I read of these things, just how many of those found guilty are sentenced towards the top of the range?

mefty
    Free Member

In the worst cases guidelines are 8 to 14 years I think, but he pleaded guilty so will get a deduction for that of up to a third so that would suggest they started at at least 9 years if he got for relief for guilty plea. Hopefully the criminal barrister on here will tell the real story as I am sure my analysis is way too simplistic.

pacerc100
    Free Member

Mentally destroyed. What about the families of the girls involved !. I bet those people really are mentally destroyed by the selfish actions of one individual. This should have been at least 20 years in prison. Read the BBC report of what he had drunk he wasn’t just over the limit and he would have known that but still made the choice to drive. No excuses for drink driving ever. My son trains on the same playing field so maybe I’m a bit emotive but 6 years for killing two innocent girls is just wrong. If it was an accident then I would feel for the guy having to live with that but sorry your p*ssed up and choose to drive you deserve to rot for a long time.

Edukator
    Free Member

Justice is there to punish, to protect society, and to rehabilitate.

On that basis: confined to his own home, place of community service or place of work monitored with a GPS tracker for 6 years; a lifetime driving ban; 6 years alcohol free with random testing; a six year ban from traveling in a car other than a taxi; 3000 hours of community service for athletics’ clubs/maintaining pedestrian rights of way. If the GPS tracker shows him to be traveling at more than 50km/h he must send the public transport receipt to the probation officer. An additional 3 years jail if he fails to comply with any of the conditions.

Custodial sentences are counter productive as they often punish the family of those jailed more than the criminals. In his case I believe the threat to society could be managed.

kerley
    Free Member

If he had done all those things but somehow missed the people on the crossing would it be any different?

Would he have got 6 years in that case?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Michael Casey gets 6 years for killing 2 AFD athletes’ is closed to new replies.