• This topic has 71 replies, 48 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by fossy.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)
  • Mices….
  • Merak

Things going bump in the night last night in the loft. A somewhat apprehensive investigation today confirms, they are here.
    Heebie jeebies, happy to admit being a big Jessie.
    Have set some humane traps with some boutique chocolate….dreading checking them tomorrow. 🙁

zippykona

Get some proper traps and release your inner hunter.

dovebiker

Had it a few years ago – probably field mice looking for somewhere warm in winter. We had a humane trap, let them go in the garden and they immediatel went through an air gap in the bricks having tunnelled their way through the rockwool to get to the loft! Blocked the gap and it took a few weeks to get rid. Strawberry jam or peanut butter worked best as a bait.

tjagain

No point in humane traps – what do you do with the mice you have caught? Put them outside they will either go back into someones / your house or die of cold / hunger

trail_rat
    Free Member

Humane traps. Waste of time.

You drop them far enough from the house they won’t get back they will die due to unfamiliar surrounds.

Close enough to the house they know the area thy will be back in the house before you.

Snap neck traps bated with peanut butter

Merak

Naw, canny be doing with killing them. I’ve got karma issues there.

tjagain

but what are you going to do with them once you have caught them?

neilwheel
    Free Member

House mice and field mice are not the same. If you trap and release house mice in some remote location, it will, most likely, be a slow and painful for it/them.

jonnyboi

Loads of traps, country dweller here and I caught twelve last time they made an appearance.

Add bait boxes around the outside of the house if you are feeling particularly brutal

vongassit
    Free Member

Wee, sleekit, cowran, tim’rous beastie,
    O, what a panic’s in thy breastie!
    Thou need na start awa sae hasty,
    Wi’ bickering brattle!
    I wad be laith to rin an’ chase thee,
    Wi’ murd’ring pattle!

I’m truly sorry Man’s dominion
    Has broken Nature’s social union,
    An’ justifies that ill opinion,
    Which makes thee startle,
    At me, thy poor, earth-born companion,
    An’ fellow-mortal!

I doubt na, whyles, but thou may thieve;
    What then? poor beastie, thou maun live!
    A daimen-icker in a thrave ‘S a sma’ request:
    I’ll get a blessin wi’ the lave,
    An’ never miss’t!

Thy wee-bit housie, too, in ruin!
    It’s silly wa’s the win’s are strewin!
    An’ naething, now, to big a new ane,
    O’ foggage green!
    An’ bleak December’s winds ensuin,
    Baith snell an’ keen!

Thou saw the fields laid bare an’ wast,
    An’ weary Winter comin fast,
    An’ cozie here, beneath the blast,
    Thou thought to dwell,
    Till crash! the cruel coulter past
    Out thro’ thy cell.

That wee-bit heap o’ leaves an’ stibble,
    Has cost thee monie a weary nibble!
    Now thou’s turn’d out, for a’ thy trouble,
    But house or hald.
    To thole the Winter’s sleety dribble,
    An’ cranreuch cauld!

But Mousie, thou are no thy-lane,
    In proving foresight may be vain:
    The best laid schemes o’ Mice an’ Men,
    Gang aft agley,
    An’ lea’e us nought but grief an’ pain,
    For promis’d joy!

Still, thou art blest, compar’d wi’ me!
    The present only toucheth thee:
    But Och! I backward cast my e’e,
    On prospects drear!
    An’ forward, tho’ I canna see,
    I guess an’ fear!

Merak

I understand what your saying but no mice will be malcky’d on my watch.

devash
    Free Member

Humane traps are a waste of time. Rentokill advanced traps or other similar reuseable traps baited with peanut butter and a few bait boxes in strategic locations, plus a thorough search for their entry point is the only way to deal with the issue.

They carry nasty diseases, can damage electrical wiring, and pee wherever they walk. Cute little things but not what you want in the house.

If you really reallllly can’t deal with killing them then at least get some plug in ultrasonic repellers, but check to see if your neighbours have pet hamsters or other rodents first before using.

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

Just had one in the garage, as well as raiding the birdseed sack thelittle beggar chewed through the mesh pockets on my Osprey backpack and scoffed a nutrigrain bar. His days are numbered. Have moved the sack of seed to the greenhouse and he has followed as the trap in the garage is untouched but he has managed to scoff peanut butter and chocolate off the trap without setting it off. Whacking big lump of chocolate it was too.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Yep, the little bastids have cut off the leccy to my shed!

Time for inhumane traps.

bigjim

plug in ultrasonic repellers

I have two of these in my little kitchen and I thought they were working until it got cold, then I was seeing the little buggers sitting by the washing machine right underneath the repeller, completely unphased, waiting for me to go to bed. Big hole behind the kitchen unit so I blocked it off which will hopefully work.

cranberry
    Free Member

Naw, canny be doing with killing them.

Come back to us when they have trashed stuff and you are ankle-deep in their piss and shit.

Seriously, I understand the whole humane trap thing – I did it myself.

When, finally, the little bastid had it’s neck snapped in a proper trap I might have done a little dance around its corpse.

dovebiker

Ours were field mice and we have a suitable habitat at the end of the road and about a dozen warm houses to explore explore before they get back to ours 😈

tjagain

Merak – Member

I understand what your saying but no mice will be malcky’d on my watch.

so what are you going to do with them once you have caught them?

rOcKeTdOg

You can borrow our cat, 3 live mice brought in the house in the last 5 days

Merak

I’ll be mostly following dovebikers example as I live in a similar locale.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

so what are you going to do with them once you have caught them?

I’d suggest a humane release down your local Tory MPs office….

breadcrumb

Humane traps are useless IMO.

I chased one along the workbench with a rubber mallet. Little bastard got away.

Death to all mice. Well the ones in my garage anyways.

Inbred456
    Free Member

My Aunty got some humane traps caught two and carried them to the bottom of the garden. It was middle of winter and -5°C with a foot of snow. They were still there in the morning frozen solid!

pnik

We had them, did the humane trap thing, sometimes they died in the trap, if they were there all night. Took them far enough away, although whether they made it to someone elses house I dont know, we’d be free for a while. We’ve blocked up any holes we can find, although they can get through very small holes. We’ve also got one of those plug-in things that people say don’t work, but nothing for the last 2 winters. Not sure what worked but the combination is working for me, not switching it off to find out, and I cant believe there’s not a way in I missed.

thecaptain
    Free Member

We get them in our walls but not in the house since I blocked off a couple of holes early on. Have found the weak spot and usually leave half a dozen traps outside in the general area. Just get proper traps and peanut butter as others have already said.

jambalaya
    Free Member

It’s that time of year, colder weather ….

We had a thread before. One little buggar we had used to jump over the trap, we saw him do it more than once (he would come out when it was late and quiet eg tv off). Took three months to catch / kill him. Get many proper traps, bait when wearing kitchen gloves as they can smell your scent otherwise.

mucker

Burns on STW, superb, true genius.

spectraken
    Free Member

I used a bad infestation in our house, upstairs and downstairs. The usual spring traps with peanut butter/nutella weren’t much good.

What did work was Pest Control Bait https://goo.gl/oW7Svk and glue boards https://goo.gl/DEMxxA

The Bait was worked pretty well, although mice were pretty shy in kitchen, but possibly because they had other food sources. Glue traps worked well, especially in areas they would go around the bait trays instead.

Inhumane for sure, but i was at the end of the my tether. Good luck!

beefheart
    Free Member

Make sure you leave their corpses around the perimeter of your property as a warning to any others.

vongassit
    Free Member

beefheart – Member

Make sure you leave their corpses around the perimeter of your property as a warning to any others.

Or you could just make a necklace out of their ears 😆

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

I’ll trade you your mouse for my squirrel 👿

ransos
    Free Member

To go against the collective wisdom, humane traps worked a treat when I used them. This was for field mice that had come into the house.

franksinatra

Mice are crafty little buggers

I use these in my garage

particularly brutal plastic mouse murdering traps

franksinatra

Mice are crafty little buggers

I use these in my garage too great effect

particularly brutal plastic mouse murdering traps

qwerty
    Free Member

We have some wood mice in our compost that we’re feeding. 🙂

JackHammer

Buy a snek and release it into the loft. Leave the heating on obvious to warm it up to hunting mode. Let it “UNLEASH THE FURY!”

cranberry
    Free Member

Of course, for proper mouse removal…

Merak

Update, upon checking the humane trap this morning, the mouse was deed.

I’d have been as well using a traditional mouse trap.

Much hand wringing.

I hope he was just a lone wolf, I hate mice.

perchypanther
    Free Member

I hope he was just a lone wolf

Highly unlikely. If there’s one, there’re more.

I hate mice.

You are Mr Jinks and I claim my £500 +VAT

jca

I hope he was just a lone wolf

A wolf in meeces clothing?

Having a cat doesn’t help. We only have mice when she brings them in at sets them free in the house…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘Mices….’ is closed to new replies.