• This topic has 8 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by adsh.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Mew 29er wheel set – pre built?
  • Kryton57

I want a set of XC tough trail centre/spare race / winter wheels circa £300. Is there anything better than Arch ex on hope Merlin / CRC build to meet this brief?

nickdavies

Little bit more but look at the kinesis maxlight wheelset, I think I paid about £350 comes in a little bit lighter or the same as arch ex on hopes but a bit wider.

I did have them rebuilt with brass nips though when a bit under a year old after they lunched a couple of spokes, used hard till then though.

If I was doing it again I’d look at the Germans and see what DT Swiss were putting out for that kind of money, my splines have been brilliant.

sambob
    Free Member

I was really impressed by my old Arch EX on hopes, built by Moonglu mind. Handled two years of North Wales and the Peak district surprisingly well, think I only trued them once in the time I owned them.

Kryton57

Hmmm moonglu have a deal with awful coloured hubs…

al

For that can you could get some DT 350hubs with S* DS25 rims from S*, as I did for winter wheels last winter. Very impressed tbh and I wasn’t really expecting to be.

Kryton57

Forgive me Al, but what is S*. Superstar?

granny_ring

Yes.

hatter

You can have my Mavic C29SSMAX crossmaxes that I’m selling, e-mail in profile if you’re interested.

adsh
    Free Member

On a 100mm bike I’d have thought you could manage with Crests without compromising strength for intended use unless you’re jumping or heavy.

Tough and light are DT350 (or Hope), D lights, alloy nipples and Crests. As Merlin and CRC don’t do anything more exotic than DT comps (or Revs which are a bit puny for normal use) you would have to go to JRA or Clee.

Moonglu are very good and do DT350 too.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Mew 29er wheel set – pre built?’ is closed to new replies.