Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Metric shocks
  • Onzadog
    Free Member

Have metric shocks happened? I remember last year, this was supposed to be the next best thing.

Would buying a bike with a metric shock limit your choices for upgrade?

Anyone with any knowledge or experience care to wade in?

P-Jay
    Free Member

Yes they happened.

Most bike cos that have SRAM group OE builds are using them.

Limiting? Possibly – I hear there are a few Fox metric shocks that have been quietly put out on OE builds, but I haven’t seen a upgrade Fox metric yet.

Onzadog
    Free Member

That’s my worry. I had a bike with a monarch on it but was unimpressed. I was planning on upgrading to an x2. However, that bike has now gone, so I’m looking for something else but worried that if it has a metric shock that is lack luster, I might have shot myself in the foot.

legend
    Free Member

No reason why you couldn’t get any metric shock custom tuned (plus all the usual upgrade options) at the tuning house of your choosing. That’s generally a better route than another stock shock anyway

kimbers

yup soon your your old shock will be outdated and fetching 26er prices secondhand

Onzadog
    Free Member

I was also looking at avalanche internals as they’ve been great on another bike. I’m not sure if they’ve got anything for metric shocks yet though.

benpinnick

Yeah metric shocks definitely happened. Its not ubiquitous as yet, but it will be. No chance that Fox, Cane creek et. al won’t be making all their shocks in metric sizes within the year. As mentioned Scott and Giant already run *ahem* metric Fox shocks.

poah
    Free Member

CC have metric shocks listed but not released yet

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

My ’17 carbon Patrol came with a metric shock.

If I had strava I’d have every kom this side of the Alps, all thanks to the shock*.

*May not actually be true.

konanige

Just another load of bollocks!!!!

Northwind

It’s not total bollocks- the trunnion shock thing is totally valid, means you can fit a longer shock in the same space, or fit more gubbinz in the shock. Which is why Trek have been doing it for years, without any need to invent a brand new standard. Hmm.

But though they seemed to talk mostly about trunnions initially, I see that’s largely falling by the wayside and metric shocks come in both forms. Of course, there’s absolutely no benefit to a metric standard shock. How surprising that the version that provides an advantage was trailed and marketed in order to give a positive marketing message, but the version that doesn’t seems to be becoming more accepted.

The weird thing about it is the timing- they should have waited a year or two so that all the magpies replaced their obsolete non-boost wheels, frames and forks, and then made their new bikes obsolete with a new noncompatible shock.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’m looking at a new bike but it comes with a metric shock. My recent experience with RS rear shocks has been poor so I’m a little concerned about being tied in right now.

Best thing I can say about the monarch is you know when it needs an air can service as it’s no longer spewing oil down the stanchion.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Metric shocks’ is closed to new replies.