Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Metric Fuel Economy
  • wilburt
    Free Member

Why is fuel economy in metric shown as litres per 100k and not kilometres per litre which would make working out how far you can go on a tank much easier and well just seems more sensible?

Edric64
    Free Member

I still convert litres to gallons and work out the mpg !

brokenbanjo

Probably perception.

JohnnyPanic

Edric 64 – Don’t.

Miles / Litres / 0.22 = MPG.

Sandwich

Probably down to margin of error stuff.
    Working to lots of decimal places for kilometres/litre would tax the less maths savvy.

ampthill

It helps the other way round doesn’t it, etimating how much fuel for a journey

But in the uk what we really need is miles per litre or litres per 100 miles. As those are the base units for fuel purchase and distance.

10 miles per litre is about 45mpg

eemy
    Free Member

You might be able to change the unit settings from metric to imperial – on Ford Focus can do this, but I still don’t believe the mpg figures

convert

It is daft that we still generally use mpg to talk about fuel consumption but don’t actually financially deal in gallons of fuel anymore at the pumps.

I wish the UK had gone to km on distance signs but whilst we are stuck with miles I guess mpl is the most sensible unit of measurement.

wilburt
    Free Member

Agreed miles per litre would be best for now so 50mpg is 50/.22 for MPL ( as per jp above) which is 11 miles per litre.

Thats 561 for a 51L tank and @£1.30 per litre of fuel = 8.4p per mile(in fuel).

crazy-legs

I’ve got an app called My Cars which works it all out. It’ll do whatever units you want, just tell it whether you’ve filled up completely or if it’s a partial fill, cost and price per unit. Once its got a baseline it’ll give mpg, overall cost, cost per week, per mile etc. Great app.

aracer
    Free Member

Edric 64 – Don’t.

Miles / Litres / 0.22 = MPG.

What’s wrong with working out the gallons then (litres * 22, and shift a couple of dps, which I can do in my head) before using that to work out the MPG?

Though usually nowadays I work out the mpl, which as mentioned above is what makes sense given they’re the units we actually use, and use that to get the rough MPG, knowing that 10mpl is 45.4MPG and 11mpl is 50MPG.

Thats 561 for a 51L tank and @£1.30 per litre of fuel = 8.4p per mile(in fuel).

Without even working out the answer it’s obvious that’s wrong, given that £1.10 a litre would be 10p a mile at 11mpl. I know it’s a while since my miles have cost less than 10p each.

edit: in fact it looks like you’ve inverted the calc, as that works out at 8.4 miles per pound.

wilburt
    Free Member

Your right a second attempt makes it 11.8p per mile although it being the weekend there’s little confidence thats correct either.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Metric Fuel Economy’ is closed to new replies.