• This topic has 14 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by stuey.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Meteorite Storm expected Sunday!
  • Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

So ex Hurricane Bertha is landing Sunday and the BBC are getting all excited. According to the forecast it’ll be a bit wet, a bit windy with impacts expected! I didn’t realise meteorites came from hurricanes.

With the excitement this summer squall is generating I thought the Express or Wail were doing the forecast!

molgrips
    Free Member

Thread title + username = pure genius!

footflaps

It’s not a hurricane, I just heard “Later. l like to play with things awhile…before annihilation.” on the wind….

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r346rRTFvR4[/video]

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

It’s the Perseids meteor shower innit?

slowoldgit
    Free Member

And a champion full moon, so will meteors be visible?

MussEd
    Free Member

Is this somehow linked to the lunar calender(I have no clue about space etc) cos I was away with family this weekend last last year(we depart at dawn tomorrow if you’re asking) and we witnessed the same thing around our camp fire?

fatsimonmk2
    Free Member

Gordon’s alive!!

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

And a champion full moon,

Technically, no ‘ it’s a waning gibbous moon and even though it;s a supermoon (closest to Earth), the average brightness of a Perseid meteor is -2.7 meaning that if you can see stars, there’s a a good chance of seeing meteors. The shower will last a couple of days, peaking on sunday, but the bright supermoon does mean you’d be better looking from Sunday on

scotroutes

Not the lunar calendar but all to do with our orbit around the sun and where it intercepts the path of a comet (or remains thereof). Maximum is the 12th August and it’s one of the best of the year. It helps that the nights are quite mild as it’s then a bit comfier waiting to see them.

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

Is this somehow linked to the lunar calender

Not really, we pass through the tail of a comet (Swift-Tuttle), and the meteors are debris from that. space crap, so to speak

MussEd
    Free Member

Intercepting the path of a comet??? My Mind= slightly discombobulated.

Forecast looks pretty pants on sunday evening for Glen Prosen however so we might not see much…

Northwind

We were out in the alps for the peak of the perseids in 2012- bang on cue, powercut for the entire valley, perfect dark skies, milky way glowing above us. We spent half the night tanning Stevo’s free wine and going oooooo. And then I went and looked out the other side of hte chalet and discovered it was even better. Talk about burned in the memory.

piemonster

😆

stuey
    Free Member

<Just in for the night>
    It takes a few streaks before I can believe my eyes, but I LOVE meteor showers.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Meteorite Storm expected Sunday!’ is closed to new replies.