Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Metallic creaking
  • truth1
    Free Member

Hi sorry if this has been asked before. I just wanted to see if anyone can work out what this metallic creaking I get on my bike is. It only happens when I lean over hard to the right but it sounds awful. I took it to my local bike shop and had what they call a silver service but they couldn’t work out what is causing it either. It come from around my front wheel. The wheel seems to be true and everything seems tight and in working order. The rotor doesn’t seem bent either. Any ideas?

asdfhjkl
    Free Member

QR skewer needing greased? Axle problem?

truth1
    Free Member

Hi thanks for your reply. Should these things been picked up by my local bike shop in its service? I’m not very good at fixing bikes myself. What sort of axel problems do you mean?

munkster
    Free Member

Ignoring the fact that you said it’s coming from the front wheel area have you tried putting a bit of grease on the seat rails? A few times I’ve chased a creak around (being convinced it’s coming from somewhere else) only to find it’s fixed by doing the above… Probably not but just a suggestion! 🙂

asdfhjkl
    Free Member

Probably not something they’d have checked.

QR skewers sit in the axle so if they’re dry and flex or rub against the axle, they might creak. Take the skewer out fully and apply some grease along it then reinstall.

If it’s coming from the front wheel when you lean the bike over it could also be a broken axle flexing in the hub. Figuring that out depends on the axle type. If it’s a loose ball bearing type then you could just disassemble and see if the axle comes out in one piece, or not.

Noises move, it might sound like it’s coming from the front but it could be anything really.

truth1
    Free Member

Thanks for your replies. As for the seat it does it when I’m stood up too so I think it’s not that. For the axel and skewer I’ll take it back in and suggest that to the shop

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

My road bike was making all sorts of metallic creaks I couldn’t quite trace. Then a couple of spoke nipples sheared 30 miles from home. Not a great experience. New wheels (rims were well worn, so was about time) and it’s back to creak free solid rolling riding

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Metallic creaking’ is closed to new replies.