• This topic has 24 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by murf.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • MetalIica. Good live?
  • benz
    Free Member

So…I have been offered a ticket to go and see Metallica soon.

Whilst I enjoy the music, some bands in the past have been a let-down live.

Metallica worth a decent journey to see?

DezB
    Free Member

I wouldn’t, but you can’t judge a band by how others have been, can you. That’s silly.

Northwind

God, it’s 8 years since I last saw them, doesn’t seem that long. They’ve been up and down- first time I saw them was at milton keynes bowl, it was bloody awesome. In the early 2000s they were still solid, but bloated. (like- when you put an extra load of drums and random noodling on the end of One, you don’t really know what the end of One is for any more) Rob Trujillo seemed to give them a kick up the arse, that last time- 2009- they were very good indeed.

What was nice was, they gave the feeling before “we have played this song live 1000 times, we know exactly what will happen”- professional, sure, but pretty dull. But seeing Kirk Hammett try stuff in solos and screw up- actually taking a risk instead of practicing it to death- and Kirk and James swapping parts on some songs so James played a lot more lead, was a good sign.

I’d go and see them on this tour, if it wasn’t a million quid.

stevie750

I haven’t seen Metallica in ages but they where excellent when I saw them but £100 is far too much to see any band.

DezB
    Free Member

I read as the OP been offered a free ticket, but will have to travel… £100 is taking the total piss. No band is that good, no venue is that good. Ticket prices for big acts are utterly ridiculous.

rascal
    Free Member

Back in the day they were awesome live…as were their albums.
    The albums were going south even when they made their breakthrough Black album in ’91..their live shows closely following. They have become fomulaic and lazy. They have been around a long time and are probably bored of playing the same songs time and time again. This is the first live tour I haven’t even bothered getting tickets for. Just my opinion of course 😉

stevie750

Metallica peaked with master of puppets. Some of the garage stuff was good but been generally downhill.
    Does anyone have the concept album that they did with Lou Reed.

mindmap3
    Free Member

I’ve seen them live a few times and they’ve always been very very good. I’m a massive fan (not of the junk with Lou Reed though) but £100 a ticket was taking the pee a bit.

mutley

Seen them quite a few times and still good, off to the O2 next month. Taking my little bro for his birthday so coughing up for the ticket.

Good fun live, they have learnt to take themselves a bit less seriously than the Load / St Anger years.

garage-dweller

I like them a lot.

Saw them live at Donnington in 94/95ish and thought they were awesome but I was still a teenager then.

I am going to buck the trend of bashing the new stuff a bit and say that there is a lot of good listening amongst the new and there are still some interesting lyrics and things going on there e.g. Ronnie

but I’d also agree Master of Puppets is the finest album closely followed by Ride The Lightning.

I’d go again even if it was £100.

darrell
    Free Member

okay live
    shite music since ca. 1986

Cougar

If you can ignore the “wah wah sellout” cries of the fanboys who own 14 copies of Garage Days and were into them before they were born, then they’ve always been awesome live whenever I’ve seen them live. If you’re the sort to piss and moan about Cliff Burton then your evening would be probably better spent supergluing your toes together or something because you’ve already decided you’re going to hate it.

DavidB
    Free Member

They are a live band, a bit cheesy but they love it. My wife has been dragging me to their gigs for 20 years. Not a fan but never felt robbed.

Who fancies at pint at the O2 I’ll be there on the 22nd?

redsox
    Free Member

Does anyone have the concept album that they did with Lou Reed.

Is that what killed him?

Not seen them live since the Black tour, Justice tour before that, really since then, and now with them living the clean lives, they’ve lost their edge a bit

If its a free or cheap ticket, there’s way worse to see live

stumpy01

Seen them at Donington, Earls Court and Wembley.

Been a bit disappointed each time. Dunno why, but always a bit of a let down.

Been to see ‘smaller’ bands that have been 10x better live.

igm

Never seen them. Should be at the Manchester show.

mindmap3
    Free Member

They were on to a massive no win situation; some people just want Master repeated ten times and others accept the change / progress.

Load actually has some good songs on it, Reload was so-so but did have a few turkeys on it. I didn’t even mind St Anger. The Lou Reed album was a step too far even for a fan boy.

wrightyson
    Free Member

I was a huge fan late 80s early 90s then my clubbing days took over circa 95 and I left that music behind for a while. Saw them several times early 90s they were awesome back then.

the-muffin-man

Do they still do a 3hr set?

Saw them in the 90s and after an hour I was bored – seemed like they were playing the same song over and over again.

I’m a part-time fan of them though and listen to them when I’m in the mood.

Cougar

some people just want Master repeated ten times

They’re in luck. This is on its way.

https://metallica.probitymerch.com/products/master-of-puppets-remastered-deluxe-box-set

jimjam
    Free Member

Load is their best album. hashtaguncomfortablefact.

Northwind

I liked Load too but I can see why so many older fans hated it, it’s pretty different. But take a load of stuff and throw an orchestra at it and it’s blimmin awesome

jimjam
    Free Member

Northwind – Member

I liked Load too but I can see why so many older fans hated it, it’s pretty different.

I remember the backlash when it came out and I remember wondering what the **** the problem was. It seemed like a fairly logical progression. I think honestly that backlash was the worst thing that happened to the band.

Instead of try to progress musically they tried to reinvent or get back to their earlier material (basically speaking). The result has been a complete lack of development and they’ve just stagnated. I really do like Load and a few tracks off Re-Load. If the fans hadn’t been so dense Metallica might have actually developed into something interesting.

andykirk
    Free Member

I would say yes if you like their music then they are a good live band. Like the above posts I think they went downhill from pre-Black album and have seriously sold out now, performances seem a bit formulaic and naff but still a good show. I mean Christ there are a million worse bands you could go and see. Getting drunk though usually makes almost any concert enjoyable I find.
    You could of course spend your money more wisely and go and see the Happy Mondays who are on a UK tour, that’s what I’m doing!

murf
    Free Member

I’m going to see the Mondays in December, can’t wait!

I saw Metallica live in 2009, they were brilliant. I’ve been a fan since I was 12 and have enjoyed pretty much all their albums (apart from St Anger!) The ’80s albums were definitely their best though I loved Death Magnetic.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘MetalIica. Good live?’ is closed to new replies.