Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Metal working – embossing sheet metal
  • Duane…
    Free Member

Hi all,

Random question. Need to emboss a logo (about 100x50mm) onto thin metal sheet (0.3mm stainless steel, or slightly thicker aluminium).

Is it possible to emboss with only a male die (and achieve any kind of accuracy) – if I have something like a rubber mat underneath? Force will be applied either with a big hammer or a fly press.

Thanks,
    Duane

wwaswas

Maybe try putting the die underneath and using a white rubber mallet to force the metal over the logo? You can see where you need to hit next/if it’s done and if you have a piece of wood around and level with the die it should distort the surrounding metal.

Duane…
    Free Member

The logo is really just a word (PRAKTI), so it needs to be quite detailed for the inside of the letters to be clear – don’t think hammering it from the other side will work unfortunately.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    spot
    Free Member

etch it

easily done, lots of diy tutorials around

bruneep

are you making the stoves?

http://www.praktidesign.com/

Logo just pop riveted on

Duane…
    Free Member

Yep, I work for Prakti. We currently pop rivet the name plates on, looking for low-cost alternatives 🙂

Will look into etching, thanks.

wwaswas

Is the cost of a female die that prohibitive for a production item?

trail_rat
    Free Member

i do this at work with male stamps all the time – without even putting rubber under.

I do how ever do it 1 letter at a time when putting dates and serial numbers on things.

No reason why it wouldnt work IF your logo isnt too big.

bencooper
    Free Member

With a logo that big, you’re going to need a very big press. I tried doing my headbadges on my flypress, and even with my 1″ die it just wasn’t having it – it needs about a dozen impacts in a percussion press.

For something that big, either etching or engraving is the way to go.

trail_rat
    Free Member

missed size above.

what ben said.

when im doing it im doing 10mmx10mm at a time.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

I’m sure someone with a degree in Mech Eng. will be along to help soon

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Metal working – embossing sheet metal’ is closed to new replies.