Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Metal tyre levers…?
  • pedalhead
    Free Member

I’ve got some b’stard tight road tyres on some Arch rims that are way beyond the capabilites of my plastic Park levers. Any recommendations for metal levers, particularly with a nice thin edge to get under the bead where there’s basically zero clearance. Cheers

lipseal
    Free Member

Try THIS does a good job and cheap as chips.

supertacky
    Free Member

Superstar do a crackin set of metal tyre levers for £7.

I got a set as I was in a similar position as yourself.

No problems now.

CraigW
    Free Member

I recommend this for fitting rather tight tyres: Simson tyre mate
    it lifts the tyre bead up, and into the rim, so less chance of the tube getting caught and puncturing.

Junkyard
    Free Member

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_156266_langId_-1_categoryId_228377
    £3.99 can mark black rims[ as can all metal ones] use for stans 355 and rather tight road tyres.
    I snapped my Park one putting a tyre on my Stan ….note to self dont continue with tyre insertion it will be nigh on impossible to remove without knifes 😐

ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

+1 for Halfrauds cheapo steel levers. Mine needed filing-down, though, to remove the burrs…

bassspine
    Free Member

metal tyre levers? No way. You’ll just ruin your wheels.

get some of these flat Schwalbe tyre levers. Never defeated, used daily in the workshop in the shop where I work.

pedalhead
    Free Member

Thanks guys, though having never used metal levers I am a bit concerned about mashing the rims…is it really likely? Liking the look of that Cyclo tool, although it looks a bit heavy to take on the trail! Junkyard…I’m in exactly that situation…got a tyre on the rim that I’m seriously considering taking a knife to 😯

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

these are expensive but deal very well with road tyres, they’re all i use now.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Lezyne_Alloy_Tyre_Levers/5360034768/

sockpuppet

combine something like those schwalbe levers, or the ones you already have, with a bit of washing up liquid on the bead for lubrication.

works a treat.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

PS i’ve never damaged rims even with big beast Park metal levers when faced with a really tough tyre, just don’t be really ham fisted about it!

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Soma do ones with a netal core and plastic outer.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Try these – I have had them for about 5 years and STILL havent broken them 🙂

Pedros Tyre Levers

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Metal tyre levers…?’ is closed to new replies.