Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • metal pins in metacarpal. any experience?
  • eckinspain
    Free Member

My brother in law was knocked off his bike on Friday and the car managed to run over his hand. The hospital today said he would need metal pins in it.
    Has anyone got any experience of this? How long does it take to heal properly? Any long term pain or discomfort or impaired flexibility?

eckinspain
    Free Member

bump for morning crowd?

crazybrab
    Free Member

Pins, k-wires or plates & screws?

The worst case scenario is open reduction/internal fixation with plates and screws under general anesthetic.

I’ve 3 plates over three metacarpals in one hand and would say surgical treatment is always preferable over cast immobilsation, as function/range of motion returns much sooner. I suggest you google finger stiffness/loss of motion resulting from cast immobilisation, and the benefits of surgery over casting. The NHS rarely offers surgery (cost saving) so I’d jump at the offer!

porter_jamie

i broke the small one in my left hand when i fell off a motorbike. i pretended i was a serious piano player (mostly true to be fair) and they operated and fitted k wires. took 6 months to stop hurting and only plays up in weird weather now.

Simon

I had the metacarpal in my right thumb plated and pinned after an MTB crash two years ago.

I was in a cast for 3 to 4 weeks after the operation.
    I did easy off road when the cast came off but it was 3/4 months before I could ride properly again.
    It’s pain free now but for months after the op it was very sensitive.
    Thumb is still a bit swollen and I’ve never regained full movement but it works well enough!

eckinspain
    Free Member

Thanks all.

He says they’re k-wires – are these better/worse than the other options? Do they take them out later or are they permanent?

I think it’s fingers rather than thumb (I believe thumbs are more complicated).

crazybrab
    Free Member

K-wires are the least complicated and done under local anasthetic.

A wire is inserted into the bone and is used to “pull” the two ends of the bone together. Very little risk, but as there is no internal fixation with screws, the hand will need to be immobilised in a cast and stiffness with occur.

Try to avoid getting the finger joints casted as these go stiff very quickly, and if they do need to be casted, ensure the hand is in the “neutral” position prior to casting. Above all, start moving all fingers immediately and “buddy strap” to adjacent healthy finger!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘metal pins in metacarpal. any experience?’ is closed to new replies.