Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Metal milling
  • simonbea
    Free Member

Can anyone recommend someone or somewhere to get a spacer made for a chain guide? Looked at a few sites but wondering if anyone can recommend any, below is what I’m looking for

Thanks for any suggestions

Simon

Andy-R

No light engineering/toolmaking companies round your way? Incidentally, you haven’t given a position/dia. for the hole.

simonbea
    Free Member

Yeah I’ve dropped a few emails today, no idea where something like this as a one off starts at cost wise.

Hole isn’t needed to be included, plan to drill that once it is offered up. Also realised that the site has compressed the image, as an overall it is 30x30x15mm.

porter_jamie

I could make it for 20 quid but I hope you ain’t in a hurry. Where abouts are you.
    Ps your dimensioning is making my teeth itch. Hole size?

simonbea
    Free Member

Hi Jamie, thanks for offer, what does not in a hurry translate too? As above hole isn’t needed and i’ll do this when I’ve offered it up on the bike. Which bit in particular unsettles you?!

Inbred456
    Free Member

What material do you want it made from? Any light engineering company will knock you one up if you ask nicely.

Andy-R

Hole isn’t needed to be included, plan to drill that once it is offered up. Also realised that the site has compressed the image, as an overall it is 30x30x15mm.

Not 33x30x14.4mm?

porter_jamie

You are making it hard for me to read.
    Think about how someone might make it.
    It’s always better to have the overall height, width and depth dimensioned and then each dimension in x y and z references off one ‘zero’ feature.
    On the manual I would find a lump of ally (this involves walking over to the ally shelf woth calipers and drawing to find a bit ehich is big enough. I would then square it into the overall sizes I talked about. Then I would stick it on parallels and do one rebate and then turn it over and do the other.
    You are making me hunt for the dimensons or worse making me work them out which is how mistakes are made.
    Don’t panic though when you don’t make stuff daily you can’t be expected to realise this. My Dad would laugh at my first sketches 🙂
    I could probably get it done on a couple of weeks

charliew

How important is a “sharp” corner? If it’s milled then you’ll want a minimum radius on the corners to specify what diameter cutter they use.

(Happy to be corrected, not a machinist or mechanical engineer!)

grim168
    Free Member

Square corner cutter. No rad specified.

spennyy
    Free Member

I can knock you one up this week if you like

tthew

Why metal? That looks like the ideal little job for a 3D printer.

trail_rat
    Free Member

So small it looks like a job for the hack saw tbh ?

But then maybe I’m just rough 🙂

hofnar
    Free Member

I am with trailrat here block of metal grinding wheel file and presto.

takisawa2

I’d probably be looking at about £50 from our sub con place. I’d get it done in house though, but would take longer.

bren2709

FFS the time it’s taken to reply it could have been made!
    Drawing is straight forward so cannot see what the issues are!
    You manufacture what you see on the drawing so if it calls for sharp corners you get sharp corners, not chamfered or radiused.
    Would have offered to knock one out but don’t have access to a miller at the moment.
    30mins work tops.

bren2709

Can anyone recommend someone or somewhere to get a spacer made for a chain guide? Looked at a few sites but wondering if anyone can recommend any, below is what I’m looking for

Thanks for any suggestions

Simon

Drop me an email I’ve got it sorted but need to sort few things with you first – bren2709(at)hotmail(dot)co(dot)uk

stu170
    Free Member

Buy a block of alu, some decent files and a vice and “smile and file” to your heart’s content. Give you something worth while to do of a quiet evening

peanutcracknell
    Free Member

I can sort that for you this week if you still haven’t found someone to do it for you.
    Email in profile, drop me a mail and we can firm up dimensions and I’ll get it in the post by the end of the week.

porter_jamie

there’s no such thing as a 30 minute job. guaranteed. printing out the drawing, finding the stock, putting on the vice and clocking it up, finding the right tool, making it, cleaning up again afterwards, putting everything away. its a 100 quids worth all day long

bren2709

such thing as a 30 minute job. guaranteed. printing out the drawing, finding the stock, putting on the vice and clocking it up, finding the right tool, making it, cleaning up again afterwards, putting everything away. its a 100 quids worth all day long

Your just being pedantic now, you’ll be charging your time when you go for a shit next!!

porter_jamie

a man needs to poo! my brother and i have stopped doing smaller jobs apart from for mates as its just so time consuming for so little reward – charging 100 quid for a little thing like above seems rude, but imagine if you broke a carbide cutter – you would effectively be paying to make something for someone

bren2709

Cutters and tips are classed as consumables and where I have worked have never been charged to jobs.
    Fully understand regarding time consuming but you cannot always rely on the big jobs, if these dry up that’s when you need the smaller ones.
    oh and if you wouldn’t mind Poo’ing in your own time, thank you! 😉

porter_jamie

When you have to buy the cutters and tips with you own hard earned money you might have a different opinion. I open the tips draw and it’s terrifying how much money is sitting there. Like a years worth of rent on the unit terrifying.

grim168
    Free Member

You’d be shocked at the tips we throw away. Quite often its just a bit of wear on the coating

simonbea
    Free Member

Thanks to Mr Peanutcracknell for sorting this!

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Metal milling’ is closed to new replies.