Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • metal garage roof – how to solve condensation
  • chriswilk
    Free Member

My garage has a corrugated metal roof. For the past couple of weeks it’s been snow covered and this has caused a lot of condensation to constantly drip on the bikes and everything else in the garage.

Any suggestions on how to solve this problem?

Only idea so far is to get some 6mm ply and line the roof with it.

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

String a dust sheet or two across. Won’t pole your problem but should stop the drips if you angle it down at one end.

Only sure way is to insulate it with expanding foam so that the whole sheet is covered, not just the dips on the underside. To do it properly, i’d suggest a 2 part expanding foam. Probably cost around 120 quid for what you’d need

dropoff

What FM said, get it sprayed with foam.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    chriswilk
    Free Member

think I’ll string up my large tarp for now, and do something proper in the summer.

cheers

wwaswas

put it at an angle across the roof so that the moisture runs across it rather than puddles in the middle – also be aware that you may have water dripping off the edges.

As above. Also look at something like Celotex – it comes in large sheets and is pretty good insulation – easy to handle and fix as it’s so light.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

I use foil-covered bubble insulation (like this) on my garage door. It makes a notable difference to the temp in the garage/workshop and also makes the place much brighter. Relatively inexpensive, too.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Any suggestions on what spray foam should be used?

IanMunro
    Free Member

I used cellotex panels on a metal shed room which suffered similar problems. Was a pretty quick and low mess fix.

aP
    Free Member

Ventilate it.

Haze

As above, couple of vents have reduced the damp in my garage.

Air brick is another option.

chriswilk
    Free Member

there is plenty of ventilation.
    Main door has gaps at the bottom, all around the roof there are gaps between the metal corrugations and the wood exterior.
    The problem only occurs when it’s really cold / lying snow on the roof. It’s made worse when I bring in a wet bike.

It’s a concrete panel garage, so not easy to add extra ventilation either.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘metal garage roof – how to solve condensation’ is closed to new replies.