• This topic has 17 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by bruk.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Metacam and an old lab.
  • stanfree
    Free Member

My 11 1/2 year old chocky lab has been struggling lately , he has accidents at night and his walks now understandibly slower he has been a bit unsteadyon his feet. Anyhoo we took him to the vet yesterday and thinking it was a hip dysplacia were told it was actually a spinal problem which was the cause. Now to cut a long story short after ruling out x rays and future surgery he is now on metacam for a week where by he will get a blood test to see if it is affecting his kidneys.
    Even though he is old he still wants to go out for walks and although he sleeps a lot he is always happy to see us and is still eating. I knew this time would come and it has hit the whole family like a tonne of bricks that he is in the final chapter of his life. My question is has anyone on here had good results through metacam I know it cant cure his spine but was just wondering how much of a better life it can bring an old dog. Also if I get the prescription from the vet can I buy online as the vet is really expensive. he is ensured but ill need to check our policy to see if we can claim back.

Heres him in his younger days.

sandwicheater

Can’t help you op on the metacam front but feel your pain. Our 9 year old lab x just had hr first old age lump removed and is now feeling sorry for herself in my work.

Only felt like yesterday hen e got her.

[/url]Brambles first birthday by Phil Dalton, on Flickr[/img]

[/url]Bramble grump (2) by Phil Dalton, on Flickr[/img]

milleboy
    Free Member

Mum’s dog was on Metacam for his last 3 years, didn’t see any side effects, and he was noticeably better. I’d not worry and go for it.

colournoise

One of our Springers was on Metacam for his last 9 months (inoperable bladder cancer at 13). No side effects and helped ease some of his symptoms (although the mental stubborn git he was you’d never know he was terminally ill – bouncing, wagging and charging around right to his last day).

[url=https://flic.kr/p/P9vUcD]2016 07 01 pablo[/url] by Rob P, on Flickr

Pigface
    Free Member

Got an old black lab where I live and he is on Metacam, made a huge difference with no visible side effects.

Alphabet

We’ve had old cats on metacam and it’s like they’re several years younger as they start dashing about and behaving like kittens. No side effects that we’ve encountered.

welshfarmer

No help. We can get it in 100ml bottles to inject the sheep as a NSAID. However, if you can get the prescription (make sure the vet adds repeats to it for at least 6 months) then I can highly recommend using this company. Fantastic hassle free service.

https://www.petdrugsonline.co.uk/search?searchtext=metacam

z1ppy

[url=https://flic.kr/p/9v2upE]Pensive George[/url] by Paul, on Flickr

George spent his last years on metacam without issue.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Our dog didn’t get on with it due to other meds he was on. We did give him turmeric paste with black pepper, I appeared to work incredibly well for him. We think it might actually have extended his life. Although we gave it for joint issue, there’s research to suggest it can slow the growth of tumours as well.

mattbee

Our Springer X Lab has arthritis on his hips, elbows and front paws as well as 3 knackered discs in his back. He didn’t take to it that well so he’s on Previcox instead. Along with 3 Tramadol a day it lest him haul his 9 year old carcass around as he did when he was a puppy.

fozzie
    Free Member

When my 15yr cat started to have difficulties with her rear legs, the vet prescribed metacam, after a week and a bit she went off her food I dosed her from the syringe, rather than add it to her food as my other cat shared shared the food bowls. It would seem from other websites such as ‘metacam killed my dog/cat’ that stomach ulcers are a problem, possibly from not mixing with food. I stopped the metacam and it would appear that muscle weakness was the problem. She lived another six years. Our old Lab had joint problems (no metacam), but it was kidney failure at 13 that got him.

My advice as as a dog/cat owner, NOT a Vet, is to use the metacam and keep a VERY close eye on the appetite and weight.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Just over a year ago I had her booked into the vets for that last visit.
    In the morning she woke up more alert and as lively as 17.5 year old dog will be. She’s still here but knowing one morning I’ll go downstairs to find her dead haunts me.

stanfree
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies folks , some positive posts. Only his second day on it but so far no vomiting or diahorrea . I had him down the beach today and he seemed really happy swimming for at least 30 minutes , I know this probably has nothing to do with the metacam as it will be way to early.
    Eddiebaby thats amazing your dog is 18 and I know exactly what you mean by being haunted by the end. When Charlie goes im genuinley going to make up a sore back excuse and take time of work as there is no way I could concentrate after the event. Dogs ask so little but give so much .

cloudnine
    Free Member

My old lab (13 years old) has been on metacam for about 6 years as he has very bad hip dysplasia.. He has it with his breakfast everyday. Its basically canine ibuprofen.
    Get him on a diet and get him as light as you can.. the less weight he has to carry the better. Also maybe look into Low level Laser therapy..

Way cheaper to get a prescription from your vet and buy metacam online from https://www.petdrugsonline.co.uk

dovebiker

We had our 13 year old Basset Hound on it for 2 years – he’s previously had a prolapsed disc at 6 years, and it was noticeable how he improved – dogs are very good at stoically dealing with pain and it was only apparent when he was on the drug he must have been in some discomfort before. Given that the Vet originally predicted him never recovering from his disc trouble (acupuncture and chiropractor helped immensely)

jonahtonto
    Free Member

My lab was on metacam for over 3 yrs. She had spinal problems so she was slowly becoming paralysed. Looked bad cos she would drag herself about the house but with the metcam she was happy enough. The last year, when she couldn’t walk anymore I made her a wheelchair for an old 3 wheeler pram. She loved it and did big laps of the park again. I would never have put her through the last 3 years without metacam. I used to pay for a prescription and get it online it was half the price this way

funkmasterp

Our lab ended up on metacam when he was eleven it gave him a second lease of life. Our Newfoundland has just started it and the difference is remarkable. She moves up to three times a day now! 😉 the big lazy, loveable carpet.

bruk

Like any drug it can have side effects. Most common are vomiting and diarrhoea but it can also affect the kidneys if there is damage there already. If it isn’t tolerated or working as well as you would like then there are other options too to discuss with your vet.

Most people ask ‘ can I take it myself’ when they see the improvement in their pets.

Ps the answer is no.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Metacam and an old lab.’ is closed to new replies.