Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Meta 5.5 Upgrade Suggestions…
  • crispyrice

Hi,

I have a Commencal Meta 5.5 with:
    SLX and XT 2×9 gearing
    Float R rear shock
    RS Pike 140mm front shocks.
    Hayes stroker 180 front and 160 rear brakes
    DT Swiss rims and Hope bolt through hubs, not UST
    Nobble Nic tyres

Basically I’m a bit fat and I find it hard to keep up with my chums as the pedal off into the distance on anything resembling an uphill gradient. Now I am losing weight as my first priority, and doing well at it but I would like to make some upgrades that might keep me in touch.

My thoughts are:
    Lighter forks?
    Go tubeless?
    Different frame – Carbon?

Does anyone have any suggestions on the above for suitable upgrades or if they would make a noticeable difference?

jam-bo

I would like to make some upgrades that might keep me in touch.

road bike.

crispyrice

You could have at least suggested Cyclocross.

Rorschach
    Free Member

crispyrice

Yum, nice starter….

Anyone anything helpful to add…

jam-bo

yep. you can’t buy fitness.

suck it up fatty and get training. 😉

unklehomered
    Free Member

without replacing the bike, I wouldn’t bother changing much. Easier to shed weight from you, get a few more rides in without mates, do some hill training…

RustyMac

Look at the finnishing kit too, some bog atandard kit can be a bit weighty.

You could save a fair bit in changing the fork alone, take a look at on-one and merlin for deals on Rock Shox Rev RCT3 air forks.

andypandy85
    Free Member

I too struggle like crazy on uphill stuff, hence why I’m mainly a downhiller! Obviously losing weight will be your biggest gain on them, but just getting out and riding will make a big difference too. The best way to gain cycling fitness is to get on your bike, and as suggested, throw some hills in the for fun 😉

Rorschach
    Free Member

gravity-slave
    Free Member

You could swap the Pikes for Revs and save a pound. I doubt it’ll make you much faster though. 😉

VanMan
    Free Member

As above far better/cheaper to lose weight from yourself and than the bike….I should know as a fellow less than svelte Meta 55 owner 😀 Probably only shave a kilo or so from the bike anyway, same as leaving the camelback behind

jam-bo

oh wait. can you squeeze in 650b wheels?

Rorschach
    Free Member

I like the cut of your jib 😆

VanMan
    Free Member

I should add I ended up adding weight to the bike, chunky rubber, dropper post etc…basically suffer up plummet down 😀

crispyrice

Cheers for the sensible replies 🙂 I know that the real weight loss will be from me. I was just looking for options.

If there’s not much to be gained i will just have to keep pedaling 🙂

DrP

As you just said….

I too ride a meta 5, quite similar to yours, and there’s no holding me back…

I also ride with a mate with a meta 5, and he’s bashing out KoMs all round the local hills….

I wouldn’t blame the bike….

DrP

crispyrice

I must have signed into Men’s Health by accident! 😀

mindmap3
    Free Member

I’m far from an athlete, but one of the best things I did was get a road bike. I’m getting out on the bike more and am much fitter than I used to be.

If you were to spend money on the bike, wheels, tyres and tubeless will make the most difference to how your bike feels. My SX feels much more sprightly with lighter wheels and tubeless tyres an it did before.

crispyrice

Could you compare it to say the difference between having 30psi and 50psi in the tyres or more than that?

mindmap3
    Free Member

Sorry mate, can’t really get scientific lime that…I always used to run my tubed tyres super soft too (probably around 25psi). They do make a difference though; my SX is no light weight but it feels livelier now.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Meta 5.5 Upgrade Suggestions…’ is closed to new replies.