Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Meta 5 opinions
  • jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Thinking of a 2nd hand (the previous generation) Meta 5 frame with RP3 shock for my first full susser.

Size Large for a 6 footer?

What do owners think of them?

Crag
    Free Member
    steve_b77
    Free Member

I don’t own one, but I’ve test ridden a ’08 55 XT and a ’09 55, on a good length run @ one of Llandegla demo days.

To be honest I don’t like the way the bike sits into it’s travel before you hit anything rough at all, I find you have to have the Pro pedal on to climb also.

But this is just my opinion.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    GNARGNAR
    Free Member

Hmmmm, they are “good” as an all round trail bike. Ignore people who say they are great for descending and jumping etc. Iron horse mk3 or the norco fluid would be a better bike imo.

druidh
    Free Member

Good as an all round trail bike. 😆

Some folk build them quite “light” for XC-type duties and will run at 28lbs or less. Seem to happiest with a set of Pikes and a slightly burlier build though. Great climbing – fantastic traction available, competent descending. I never faff with the suspension on mine, just leave it on Propedal at the rear, 140mm at the front and get on with it.

There have been some issues with paint quality and a few cracked frames (some of the latter caused by folk running very long forks. Never experienced either issue with mine. Warranty/backup seems to be perfect (try saying that about Iron Horse).

At 6ft, you’ll get some suggesting Medium, some Large. I’m 5’7″ and on a Medium.

druidh
    Free Member

Oh – I keep thinking about replacing mine but, TBH, I can’t really find anything wrong with it 😆

chela
    Free Member

My old man’s got one. He’s 6’2″ and the large fits spot on.

FWIW I like it. Though to me it always feels a bit more lardy than it should be, but that’s prolly cuz I mostly ride hardtails. I think it pedals ok without Pro Pedal IME, tho it always helps it feel a bit less lardy. I would say that it doesn’t feel like the most direct and sprightly 5 incher, but then that’s not its character and isn’t necessarily a bad thing.

More mundanely, I do clatter my ankle on the swingarm annoyingly often when I’m descending, but thats prolly just me squirming my feet around too much with my incredible super-rad moto style… 🙄

Crag
    Free Member

I’d like to see some of those ‘sub 28lb’ builds.

Without spending a fortune on uber light gear I reckon anything around 30lb is as good as it gets. They are a heavy bike and without anything silly its easy to creep to the 32-33lb.

chakaping
    Free Member

A guy that I ride with was selling his ’08 large frame with RP23, in great condition.

Email me if you’re interested and I could drop him a line.

retro83
    Free Member

To be honest I don’t like the way the bike sits into it’s travel before you hit anything rough at all, I find you have to have the Pro pedal on to climb also.

But this is just my opinion.

Er, sounds like the shock was too soft then?

richtea
    Free Member

There have been some issues with paint quality

some ? lol! I’m not sure mine actually has any paint left! the quality is absolutely atrocious!

anyway that aside, i think they’re brilliant bikes (IMO) and it’ll be a sad day when i come to replace my ’08 551.

Er, sounds like the shock was too soft then?

yeah sounds like it to me as well. im a skinny little thing so it doesnt move under me much but i’ve never, ever needed pro-pedal and anyone i’ve ever met with a meta has said the same thing 🙂

gamo
    Free Member

my brother is 6’3″ and rides a lge, loves his!

thomthumb
    Free Member

i have one and it is a great bike, as has been said already – loads of traction on the climbs, brilliant on the descents, no need for propedal unless on the tarmac. mine ios built up with pikes, 719’s on pro II, thompson kit, and high rollers. 33lbs.

changed out the tyres to larsen TT’s and rode the SDW on it last year (2 days)

i keep thinking i’d like to swap the frame for a hardtail but that’s mostly because i can’r keep a bike for more than 12 months!

MRanger156
    Free Member

Great all round bike. Not that light but if you want a light bike you probably wouldn’t be looking at a 5.5″ travel full suss bike anyway.

I’ve got a 2007 medium (im 5.11) and love it. With the rear shock set up well you dont need pro-pedal.

burcol
    Free Member

I had one for a few weeks,didn’t get on with it at all,felt very heavy and cramped.
    I sold it on and got myself a Nomad and i’ve been very happy with it,I’m sure there are plenty of people that love them as much as I disliked mine though.
    Mine was medium and i’m 5ft 11ins I tried a large and that was even more uncomfortable

racing_ralph
    Free Member

james – as a serial bike swapper like yourself and also a peak local like you. i have owned a cannondale prophet for 13months now – longest i have ever owned a bike! It is perfect for the peak – buy one!

GaVgAs
    Free Member

2007 meta here,I run fox 36s and ride it hard with no problems,the front mech position is not good for conventional shifters but grip shift sorts that,as it has better adjustment.

It climbs exeptionally well, and i use 2.3 tyres for reduced pedal strike and a talas fork,paint quality is poor but i am very happy overall,done nearly 2000 miles now with one change of main pivot bearings.

I havent ridden the newer versions but the 2007 ones seem to get better reviews from the ride, and handeling perspective.

I am 5″8 on a medium.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Argh, disaster bike. My bike was still in ruins after the very muddy CLIC24 so I rented at Afan…

Just didn’t connect with it at all, twitchy and nervous and seemed to deflect off things too easily. Slack seat angle and steep head angle felt wrong from the off.

Climbing was a mixed bag – sure the steep head means it tracks very straight but then the slack seat angle meant pedalling and position felt really wrong.

Had to take it back after the first lap as I couldn’t bear another on it…

djglover
    Free Member

fantastic riding bike, but if you buy second hand and this happens, as to mine, then you are doomed

cheers_drive

Gary – You didn’t like it then! The effective seat angle is pretty normal; the juction with the down tube is ahead of the bb so unless you have the seatpost right out it should feel pretty normal. Regarding it being skittish – all bikes it can be if there is too much air in the shock so as it was a demo bike I suggest it was that. After experimenting I find mine runs best for my 15st kitted up with 130-150PSI; much lower than you first think.
    Still it’s horses for courses; you obviuously love your 5 with a girder for a swing arm 😈
    You out tomorrow evening?

BigR

I have been using a 2007 for the last 2 years. It climbs ok but is fantastic for anything else. Mine came with a propedal float r and I have never felt the need for a fancier shock. Bike weighs 31lbs with nothing fancy. Raced it last couple of years in No-Fuss series and did OK. Steve B at Real Cycles was selling a couple of frames cheap with warranty. I am 6′ 2″ and use a large.

andyl46
    Free Member

I had an XL, I’m 6’5″.

Couldn’t get on with the low BB, kept clipping pedals. With the seat up high enough for my ridiculously long legs, the front was too much unweighted and it tended to wander about. Frame was a little heavy for me too, I wanted more of a difference between my trail bike and my burly G-spot which only weighed about 4-5lbs more.

Great when descending and ragging the tits off it though. Second Steve at real cycles, he rides one himself (and a supreme too) and knows a good bit about ’em.

Badgerpoo
    Free Member

Gary was running too much pressure in the shock, I did try to tell him!

My Meta was great on both climbs and downs. No need for any fancy pro-pedal as I never experienced pedal feedback or bob unless I forced it. They are small short bikes for the size which I like, but some people dont like feeling cramped. The upshot is that this makes it feel much more controllable for me, especially jumping and cornering. My only complaint was that the low BB meant frequent pedal strikes.

cheers_drive

Gary was running too much pressure in the shock, I did try to tell him!

I guess he just didn’t want to like it!
    Are you going to get another Meta when the insurance money comes through?

Back on topic: I like mine and it’s pushed my skills on no end. Granted it’s not the best for long climbs, especially fire road ones but it’s great on the way down, singletrack, and techinical climbs. It’s also a bit on the heavy side but it all depends on weather you’re happy to get to the top at your own pace a enjoy the way down (if so the Meta is ideal) or you want to race everywhere in return for less confidence on the way down.
    Having said all that I’m thinking of changing mine after 2 years, more for changes sake than anything else.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Meta 5 opinions’ is closed to new replies.