Viewing 29 posts - 81 through 109 (of 109 total)
  • Met the most despicable this week.
  • captainsasquatch
    Free Member

I don’t think either of you come out of this brilliantly. More her than you though.

I’m genuinely interested in why.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

A pair of, on the surface, middle class pillocks come do do a bit of shopping and then getting all uppity when things don’t go their way. There’s a bloody big car park 2 mins away.

You have my sympathy.

A pub/trendy bar/ restaurant type thing opened next to my flat while I lived in the home counties. The road had free parking after six, but quite a few sections of double yellows where the road narrowed, causing people to park half on the pavement. I would often get home and park in a sideroad before negotiating the Mercs and beamers (not that I wish to stereotype) parked half-cocked.

I confronted an X5 driver and his wife once, pointing out that the gap he left between his vehicle and the building adjoining the pavement was barely big enough for me, let alone someone with a pram (my downstairs neighbours had a newborn). His response was “You don’t have a pushchair”.

Got so bad one night a fire engine couldn’t get past an X3, parked half on the pavement over double yellows. Fortunately it wasn’t an emergency, but one of the firemen went into the bar/pub/restaurant thing to find the owner, only to come out two minutes later empty handed. After lots of wiggling the firetruck got through; less than a minute later the X3’s owner came out and moved it. C***.

A neighbour called the police because someone had parked where the road narrowed and opposite the entrance to the mews her garage was in, effectively blocking access by anything bigger than a Mini. She told the police she couldn’t get her Rolls Royce out, to which the police asked if she was taking the micheal. She then offered to show them – her husband had a love for classic cars.

Like you, big carpark a minutes walk away (which I’ve helpfully directed people to when they were struggling to park on the pavement). I think half the problem was also that the bar attracted permatanned inconsiderate shites – either with money or very actively seeking it – from out of town who didn’t give a flying fudge piece about the locals.

First world problems, but absolutely piss-boiling and avoidable by people being just a little considerate.

sputnik
    Free Member

“First world problems, but absolutely piss-boiling and avoidable by people being just a little considerate.”
    Like not replying to an email in a car with the engine running when you know someone is waiting for that parking space ?

sc-xc

Is logging mileage with a company car a thing? The only time I look at the mileage is when I fill up as I can’t get use the fuel card without that.

Pool cars or junior staff only.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Like not replying to an email in a car with the engine running when you know someone is waiting for that parking space ?

😆

Yes. Just like that. Bloody OP and his inconsiderate actions. If he hadn’t held up that couple by sitting in his car they could have got to the shops 30 seconds earlier!

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Like not replying to an email in a car with the engine running when you know someone is waiting for that parking space in spite of the fact that they had been told that there would be a couple of minutes of delay and were perfectly happy with this?

Looks a bit different when the argument is more complete.

Pool cars or junior staff only.

😆
    But it says [ClarksonVoice] executive[/ClarksonVoice] on my cards.

sputnik
    Free Member

Capn I’m not condoning the actions of the couple.
    Every story has two sides.

matt_outandabout

But it says [ClarksonVoice] executive[/ClarksonVoice] on my cards.

Tell me you have a Sierra Sapphire LX?

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Others have explained how irritating it can be to see someone sat in the car looking set to go and not going. Also it seems to have annoyed you enough to post on here to seek justification for your annoyance and the righteousness of your cause.

Lots of people are cocks, every day, espescially in cars. Better just to let it go and accept that. But other posters have said it better,

I’d say it is 90% on her, but in the last week I’ve been stuck by a bloke at a petrol pump doing exactly the same. Obviously your email was absolutely life-or-death and couldn’t have waited till you had helped her out by moving on sooner than planned.

Cougar

just to confirm, on my BMW (swoon) pushing the button without foot on the brake switches on the ignition, with foot on the brake it’s straight to engine start.

Just tried in mine, and it goes straight from 0-running if you press the clutch. Who knew? I’ve only had it nearly four years. (In my defence, it’s got a pointless electric seat which moves forward / back when you start / stop the car, so you can’t properly reach the clutch without shimmying forwards if the engine’s off.)

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I’ve been stuck by a bloke at a petrol pump doing exactly the same.

Yeah I’m sure some people do it precisely because they are arseholes. Specially in the case of service stations which usually means they only need to move forward to allow someone else to use the pump.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Others have explained how irritating it can be to see someone sat in the car looking set to go and not going. Also it seems to have annoyed you enough to post on here to seek justification for your annoyance and the righteousness of your cause.

I was smiling throughout, which probably did nothing to calm them down. I’m just gobsmacked at what happened and not looking for justification. The number of, and content of replies here is quite interesting. I won’t change my behaviour based on this.

I’d say it is 90% on her, but in the last week I’ve been stuck by a bloke at a petrol pump doing exactly the same. Obviously your email was absolutely life-or-death and couldn’t have waited till you had helped her out by moving on sooner than planned.

I pull out, drive around the corner, I pull in and take another parking space in order to answer the email and someone else comes along. What do I do? Move on again until the email is not answered.
    Or.
    Does she not stand in front of my car to block because she has imagined some kind of conspiracy?
    I was writing the email as she asked the initial question, so not as if I picked up the phone to spite her.
    And yes, I’m aware there are two sides which is why I’m trying to be as open and factual as possible. The way some of the responses have gone do illustrate the lengths that some people will go to to justify their position.
    Normal people will happily wait until the space is vacated. As bob summers says a quick Vas a salir? results in a yes or no.
    In normal circumstances not one eyebrow is raised, nor should it, but she wanted to prove some kind of point. Hopefully the point was that she and hubby are cocks. Otherwise I’m at a loss as to what the point was.
    Anyway, I’m off to the car to check emails, back in a while. 😉

sputnik
    Free Member

You mean you’ve not posted all this from your car ?
    😆

maxtorque

Consider these two time lines:

1) Get out of bed at 7.00am
    2) Have breakfast till 7.30am
    3) Brush teeth / do hair till 7.45am
    4) grab work stuff, walk out to car for 7.50am
    5) check emails for 10 mins in car
    6) drive off at 8.00am

OR

4) check emails on pc in lounge for 10 mins
    5) grab work stuff, walk out to car for 7.55am
    6) drive off at 8.00am

You going to have to explain to me how either scenario changes the moment in time at which your neighbour can access the space your car is parked in???

tinybits
    Free Member

(which is presumably what happens?)

Nope, mines a diesel and it happens immediately. Then there’s no where to put the bloody key. It’s actually crap. If it was auto unlocking / locking so you could keep the key in your pocket, there may be a point, but it’s not, so there isn’t.

Cougar

Incidentally, I’m reminded of an incident that happened to me a couple of weeks back.

I was driving and needed to make a phone call. So I did the sensible thing, turned down a side street, switched off the engine and got out to make the call (and stretch my legs). The street was a curved cul-de-sac (I think), and there wasn’t a single other car parked on it. I parked outside a bungalow with an empty driveway and enough road space to easily park three cars if not more.

By the time I’d got my phone out, some woman was out of the bungalow. “Are you going to be long?” she asks? Resisting the urge to reply “WTF has it got to do with you?” I figured, be nice, “no, just a couple of minutes, I’m only making a phone call.”

“Right,” she says, “only, I’m expecting visitors.” 😯

aracer
    Free Member

I’m thinking that unlike driving whilst using your mobile it’s socially acceptable to multi task and check e-mails whilst eating your breakfast, hence that one is faster and more efficient (though I note the OP says “mid morning”, so I guess he wasn’t in a rush from getting up).

Just a couple of things which are still confusing me on this thread:
    is it captainsasquatch or CharlieMungus who has the car which won’t charge the phone unless it’s running? It’s just that Charlie seemingly popped into the thread simply in order to point out that captain’s car wouldn’t charge the phone when it’s not running…
    is it not possible to check emails on captain’s phone when it’s not on charge – irrespective of technicalities of cars charging phones when the engine isn’t running I’d always thought phones were mobile devices which worked when not plugged in? It’s one of these things like checking e-mails in the house, I also charge my phone overnight, so don’t need to plug it straight into the car charger – unless of course captain was only leaving for work mid morning because he’d run down his phone battery playing Pokemon Go 😈

aracer
    Free Member

Actually there’s one more thing which is confusing me:

I was parked a couple of door down, as is normal, she wanted the space I was going to leave and was quite happy until a neighbour came out and moved his car. At this point she decided that she would block me in so hubby could park. It’s a narrow street, so I couldn’t go anywhere anyway.[/quote]

So was she actually holding you up as you claimed in the OP, or could you not have gone anywhere anyway as later clarified?

johnx2
    Free Member

OR

4) check emails on BOG for 10 mins
    5) grab work stuff, walk out to car for 7.55am
    6) drive off at 8.00am

D0NK

People getting in their cars then not moving for an age are a minor annoyance, but that’s you’re right, you can sit there and respond action your emails if you wish and daft women standing in front of your car when you do get around to moving is out of order and she probably deserves a telling off.

However starting your engine then fannying about is in itself scorn worthy, the charging thing is a red herring, if you had an important email to action you wouldn’t have been stupid enough to let the battery drain, you’d have been charging it in the house overnight or whatever. Not that i’d stand infront of your car to make the point, or let your tyres down, I’d have probably just suggested you “turn your engine off you muppet!” or similar as I passed.

Re: This isn’t about me – Highlighting someone’s (very) odd behaviour while detailing your own leaves you open to scrutiny I’m afraid.

bigjim

So OP acted like a dick and didn’t like taste of own medicine when it was served back and vents on internet forum

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Some cracking responses there, it’s been a bit of an eye opened. Favourite responses are between the invention that the battery ran out or bigjim’s just up there. A racer will need a bit more time to respond too as I’m not sure what the objective is.
    Concensus seems to be that we should ignore the actual problem but look for Awsworth in the op.
    Cheers.

jamj1974

Judging by the response to the OP, there’s a lot of perfect people responding to this thread. There is no justification in the OP’s stated behaviour for a person to stand in front of his vehicle and block his departure. The position of the ignition switch, when and how he chooses to respond to emails, whether the device was charging or not – none of it matters. If any of you would physically block somebody into a space on the road because they had not vacated a space, you need to have a quiet but stern word with yourselves.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

To the OP, I’d have just got out and done a full vehicle check as like you I’ve a mileage book etc to fill out. Full check is supposed to be done daily, oil, water bottle, every wheel nut, tyre inspection (including spare), pressures etc, full light check. Make sure interior load is strapped correctly. Oh it could take at least an hour.

“Sorry poppet cant go any quicker, its the rules see, more than my jobs worth to leave without doing all these checks”

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I’d have just got out and done a full vehicle check as like you I’ve a mileage book etc to fill out. Full check is supposed to be done daily, oil, water bottle, every wheel nut, tyre inspection (including spare), pressures etc, full light check. Make sure interior load is strapped correctly. Oh it could take at least an hour.

Although I can understand the appeal of making yourself at least an hour late just to make some petty point, why spend all that time making a prat of himself in public in front of neighbours when he can instead post anonymously on a mtb forum moaning how despicable these people were to him?

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

So was she actually holding you up as you claimed in the OP, or could you not have gone anywhere anyway as later clarified?

Indeed she was. She was stood in front of my car. The neighbour moved out & I could have followed him if it were not for this petty woman. Once her hubby had started movig the road out was blocked by him, she still stood directly in front of my car.
    Your other points aren’t worth responding to.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

The neighbour moved out & I could have followed him if it were not for this petty woman.

Why were you in such a hurry? Why couldn’t you wait until her husband had finished parking?

Patience is a virtue you know.

CountZero

If any of you would physically block somebody into a space on the road because they had not vacated a space, you need to have a quiet but stern word with yourselves.

A succinct summing up, I believe. 😀

aracer
    Free Member

It all becomes clear. If she’d not been stood there, they’d have had to wait longer to park, when you clearly weren’t in any hurry and they presumably were.

Oh and thanks for clarifying that the battery on your phone hadn’t run out, so running the engine to charge it whilst checking e-mails was unnecessary.

Viewing 29 posts - 81 through 109 (of 109 total)

The topic ‘Met the most despicable this week.’ is closed to new replies.