Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Messerschmitt ME109 spotted over Kent, Spitfire scrambled!
  • tomhoward

Don’t panic though, it took off from here…

[url=https://flic.kr/p/VKqXxg]Messerschmitts spotted over Kent, Spitfire scrambled[/url] by tom howard, on Flickr

2nd flight test apparently, only it’s second flight in the last 3 years, the first being 3 weeks ago.

Got a video of the fire up, will upload when able, doesn’t sound as nice as a Merlin IMB(British)O

Now, on to the Spitfire, which young, brave, handsome fighter ace are they going to send up to swat jerry out of the sky? Uuummmm…

[url=https://flic.kr/p/WotVgG]Me[/url] by tom howard, on Flickr

Yep 😀

well, no, not really. the ‘schmitt was a coincidence and was out and back before my turn in the back of the really rather lovely MJ627

[url=https://flic.kr/p/VKskGe]Messerschmitts spotted over Kent, Spitfire scrambled[/url] by tom howard, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/VGGC29]Messerschmitts spotted over Kent, Spitfire scrambled[/url] by tom howard, on Flickr

Went for a bit of a spin from Biggin Hill, takeoff was pretty similar to a regular airline takeoff, but after maybe fairly 30s, the pilot pulls up and WHOOSH, big G force that forces a totally involuntary grin! Out towards the Thames Estuary, over Brands Hatch, saw the motorbikeists tooling round significantly slower than i was going (between 200 and 250mph).

Then he let me have a go. I. FLEW. A. SPITFIRE. 😀

first thing that hits you is just how sensitive it is to the slightest movement of the control column, resulting in some interesting stomach feelings, especially combined with the nervousness of having never flown anything before/not wanting to kill us or the plane.

so after a few swooping turns the proper pilot took the controls back on we turned back toward Brands and as we get there the pilot asks ‘would you like to do a victory roll?’

nah your’e alright mate

Lolz, not really, nose down to pick up speed, then pull up and a full barrel roll. More enforced grins.

Back towards the airfield and it starts raining, which gives a fantastic sensation of speed, and we touch town as smoothly as any airline landing.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/VKqxhn]Messerschmitts spotted over Kent, Spitfire scrambled[/url] by tom howard, on Flickr

Amazing experience, I know its expensive (once in a lifetime) but its sooo worth it! The Biggin Hill heritage hangar is worth a look round too if you are local, and you can sit in a proper one too

Have got interior videos of the flight, but don’t have the means to upload them yet, but will do when i get home, so you can all watch my mug grin like a loon..

Brag over…

rabyoung
    Free Member

Messerschmitt Bf109

km79
    Free Member

Looks great fun, well done!

tomhoward

Nope, ME109 according to the chaps that fly it

tenfoot

Wow, what a great way to spend an afternoon. I have fond memories of displays at Biggin where the Spitfires etc would disappear down into the valley at the end of the runway, and suddenly spring back up and fly along in front of the crowd around 10 foot off the ground. They wouldn’t be allowed to do that now.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Someone please Photoshop the appropriate goggles and scarf on to that photo!

Top stuff!

rc200f8
    Free Member

Did the hanger tour and sit in a spit experience a couple of years ago when they were in the old pink hanger – wore a stupid grin for a fortnight being able to sit on a real air worthy spitfire. The 109 was there then having major maintenance carried out. We stood just outside the hanger and watched the two seater spit firing up and take the boss of jcb for a flight, watched it taxi back too, what a sound!!!!
    Would love to be able to do the flying experience in one, very envious of you.

rabyoung
    Free Member

It was commonly called the Me 109, most often by Allied aircrew and even among the German aces themselves, even though this was not the official German designation.[4] The designation “Messerschmitt Bf 109” was issued by the Ministry of Aviation (German: Reichsluftfahrtministerium) and represents the firm that originally built them, the “Bavarian Aircraft Works”, or Bayerische Flugzeugwerke (BFW) in German. The confusion arises because design work began in 1934 at the BFW firm and, as was customary, the model was designated by the prefix Bf. On July 11, 1938 the company was renamed Messerschmitt AG due to Willy Messerschmitt becoming its new owner, and the prefix Me was applied to all new models after that date, whilst existing types retained their Bf prefix

jambalaya
    Free Member

Best thread ever.

Well done you you are entitled to bragging rights in perpetuity.

I looked up the prices as soon as the business was launched. One day hopefully.

As I posted once before as a teenager I had the pleasure of doing a big Spitfire day with Bob Stamford Tuck and Douglas Barder, been a boyhood dream to fly in one ever since

Harry_the_Spider

Christ on a (27.5″, 1×11, 6″ travel, Enduro) bike!

The guy goes up in a Spitfire and gets picked up for getting the name of a plane wrong. 🙄

Well done Tom it looks like a once in a lifetime opportunity.

leffeboy

Best thread ever.

+1 Much happiness all round

plop_pants
    Free Member

I watched as a Messerschmitt was being assembled nearby at Headcorn last week. The owner didn’t want to fly it over for some reason. Not the same one I guess as you saw.
    Previous week to that I spotted a pair of wings, with the German cross on, on a trailer near Dover. Strange thing was that I could see shadows of roundels under the paint work, don’t know what that was about.

codybrennan
    Free Member

Just looked at the price… 🙂

Dear, but worth every penny.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I don’t do envy. Normally…

Nice one matey.

BTW my neighbour just sold this http://www.hurricaneheritage.com/
    Used to make a pleasant evenings viewing /listening over the fields.

hamishthecat
    Free Member

Stanford-Tuck and Bader.

MoreCashThanDash

Wow. Jealous.

Has the grin gone yet?

tomhoward

Still at 98%…

pocketrocket
    Free Member

Never have I needed a like button so much!

SaxonRider

Sorry for the North Americanism, but THAT IS AWESOME!

Well done. You have my envy! 8)

zokes
    Free Member

Nope, ME109 according to the chaps that fly it

They’d be wrong, as per rabyoung’s post above

matt_outandabout

That. Is. Ace.

What an amazing experience. Do you have any airborne pics?

sheck

I thought I saw a Spitfire yesterday around 1630, as I drove round the south of the M25, guess it could have been you, OP

Lionheart
    Free Member

Brilliant, little else to compete with a Spit, the sound of a Merlin!

theboyneeds
    Free Member

Amazing! Thanks for posting. Gonna start saving now.

jim25

Amazing!

sobriety
    Free Member

The owner didn’t want to fly it over for some reason.

Probably trying to keep the hours down on the airframe/engine.

Previous week to that I spotted a pair of wings, with the German cross on, on a trailer near Dover. Strange thing was that I could see shadows of roundels under the paint work, don’t know what that was about.

Possibly one of the Spanish Hispanio Buchons that was repainted as a Me Bf109 for use in the Dunkirk movie.

As and aside, that’s one thing that really irritates me about that film, the german planes quite cleary have the wrong engine (Buchons were 109 airframes with RR Merlin/Griffon engines, as unsurprisingly, the DB601 engines were somewhat hard to come by/get spares for after the war…) I know they made a big thing about it being ‘live’ and ‘non-cgi’ but with the movie wizardry they have now, how much effort would it have taken to put the correct engine on in post production…

Harry_the_Spider

Hispanio Buchons

Hispano. There’s no second “i” in it. 😉

You are right though. They look wrong.

Rich_s

Was the little Messerschmitt a Fokker?

tomhoward

What an amazing experience. Do you have any airborne pics?

No, though I do have forward and rear facing videos that I’ll upload when I get access to the required tech.

I thought I saw a Spitfire yesterday around 1630, as I drove round the south of the M25, guess it could have been you, OP

Not me, I was up around 10, but they run the flights all day so could have been the same plane. I guess there would have been delays with the changeable weather through the afternoon

sobriety
    Free Member

Hispano. There’s no second “i” in it.

Git 😉

tomhoward

Also got an external video of take off, but the hangar where the guests hang (heh) out is a fair way from the runway so it’s not the best, will put that up too

If you click on my pics there’s a whole album on Flickr too, will add more as I get them from other cameras

grtdkad

Well. Jell.

…what an awesome experience!

richardkennerley

Just registering my envy. Definitely a bucket list experience.

However, when the inevitable lottery win drops in, I’ll go for the whole shebang, formation flight over the cliffs plus dogfight with a 109. Think that’s about £20,000!!

tomhoward

Think that’s about £20,000!!

a snip at £15,000 for 2 Spits chasing down a ‘Schmitt. You have to make your own cannon noises though…

donald
    Free Member

I can understand a maple leaf on a Spitfire but why is there a Saltire on the Messerschmitt?

Trekster

Just along the road;

The Loch Doon Spitfire P7540

hockropper

Err I think that’s supposed to be in a Spanish Civil War livery

granny_ring

Well done OP, it’s on my list too.
    They fly over sometimes and love the sound of the engine, I’m like a kid when I hear it as I rush to try and grab a quick glimpse 🙂

tomhoward

Apologies for the delay

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeJmBQpto1E[/video]

The Highlights

0.30 engine start
    5.15 is take off
    11.00 to 17.ish me flying/mincing
    17.50, big swooping turns, Brands on the LHS, into victory roll at 19.00
    24.15 start landing
    24.45 wheels down

Also have a rear facing cam view, but figure no one wants to stare at my grinning mug for half an hour…

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

you lucky man!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Messerschmitt ME109 spotted over Kent, Spitfire scrambled!’ is closed to new replies.