• This topic has 74 replies, 59 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by IA.
Viewing 35 posts - 41 through 75 (of 75 total)
  • Messenger bags – It's been a horrible evening
  • neilnevill
    Free Member

I’ve a large base camp messenger (the original design), in red, only light use and no longer use it so would be happy to sell it. email me if you are interested

oh and its old enough to be before they seemed to get all cheap and fall apart

JoeG
    Free Member

There are a whole bunch of North Face ones on ebay..

sweaman2
    Free Member

I have a patagonia black hole and use it every day. So far so good after about a year of use.

samuri
    Free Member

Yeah, it does seem Northwave have dropped the quality control ball. I’ve had two and they’ve both lasted many, many years. My current one is approaching ten year old I reckon, has been used in all weathers most days and has only started to look a bit tatty in the last year or so.

I’m still concerned that most suggested so far are a bit small. I carry a lot of stuff. My wife struggles to pick the bag up if I leave it on the kitchen floor, for reference.

Thanks all though, very useful. Next step is meet up with Teetosugars and examine his sac and make a choice from there.

Ta.

Dunk10
    Free Member

Bailey works are really good quality. know loads of people with ones that are 10+ years old they are really stable and don’t move around like the timbuk2 and aren’t eye wateringly expensive like the mission workshop ones (plus they measure the capacity in beer cans!) http://www.baileyworks.com/

coopersport1
    Free Member

I get on well with my Overboard bag but no stabilising strap

MSP

I have a Timbuk2, it’s a bit crap really. While the construction appears bombproof, it doesn’t cover the gap properly at the corners and therefore can let water in, the quick buckle is too close to the actual bag, making it a bit of a faff to use, and there is nowhere to fasten the stabilising strap when not using it.

For the money paid, it is pretty badly thought out.

atlaz
    Free Member

I have a Chrome one. Comfortable on the bike, fits my stuff for work including clothes if I ride in and will do a weekend of clothes if I just want to use it to go away. It’s not light and it’s not cheap but it feels bulletproof and having had a couple of other bags, it’s the best one I’ve had for on the bike.

theflatboy
    Free Member

If I were you, I’d be buying neilnevieleneivieienvieneiel’s red bag – exactly what you want and persumably at a bargain price.

drlex
    Free Member

I have an Eastpak one, the Kruizer, but it’s compact and bijou – no way that it’ll fit all your clobber. Upside is comfort, reflective strips and easily adjustable buckle; downside is a waist strap that is very short & thin.

brakes
    Free Member

I have a Timbuk2, it’s a bit crap really….

I think you’re being a bit harsh there. The faults you’ve found are pretty minimal and it’s about 2/3rds of the price of the well thought out ones.
    There is an expensive version ($200) of the Timbuk2 called the especial.

shermer75
    Free Member

Samuri- what is about the North Face bags that you don’t like? I’m genuinely curious, not trying to make a point. Have they gone up in price? Or have they changed the design?

theflatboy
    Free Member

They have changed the design (and also up in price, though I bought mine about 10 years ago so that’s hardly surprising). The old ones are sealed indestructible fabric with a few zip and velcro pockets added around the flap. The new ones are all fancy pants American student campusy books and fripperies type efforts. I haven’t seen a new one in the flesh, but can see from the pictures online that they don’t look quite as robust.

prawny

I’ve got a Timbuk2 that I’ve had for 2 or 3 years, it’s as good as new, totally waterproof and fit’s loads in (mine’s a medium)

I’d definitely buy another, I got mine cheap in a slightly iffy colour but I’d be happy to pay the full whack for one now I’ve seen how good they are.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/haglofs-courier-15-bag-66210161

Haglofs, works for me, has losts of pockets and I seem to be able tstuff loads of other crap in it too. I usually end up forgetting abotu tall the stuff in it till i realise how heavy it’s gotten!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Another Timbuk2 fanboi here.

Mine’s been all over the place, both as on the bike luggage and carry on for flights. Faultless, IMHO.

grievoustim
    Free Member

My chrome is indestructible, completely waterproof and holds loads

Crumpler and timbuk2 are like toy bags in comparison

Don’t have experience of any other brands

grievoustim
    Free Member

MSP – Member
    I have a Timbuk2, it’s a bit crap really. While the construction appears bombproof, it doesn’t cover the gap properly at the corners and therefore can let water in, the quick buckle is too close to the actual bag, making it a bit of a faff to use, and there is nowhere to fasten the stabilising strap when not using it.
    POSTED 1 HOUR AGO # REPORT-POST

Agreed, my timbuk2 to is one of the tiny ones, so maybe not a fair comparison, but the gaps at the top, and flimsy buckles are just rubbish compared to a chrome

kiwijohn

Just replaced my 15 year old Cactus Climbing Subductor with a custom Timbuk2 in waxed canvas.
    Plenty of pockets, but they tend to collapse the front when the bag is unloaded. I also have the Snoop camera insert, which is a superb addition, if you’re into that sort of thing.

one_bad_mofo

A bit late to this I know but I can’t praise my Bagaboo highly enough. I think I’ve had it about five years now, and it gets used daily but refuses to show any signs of wear.

Nick

Not fan of my Timbuk2, as has been stated the corner protrude beyond the flap so rain can get in.

There is only padding on the inside of the laptop compartment (only the outside of the bag between your laptop and your back) meaning that the laptop can take a beating when maneuvering or putting down the bag.

The pocket arrangement is just insane, pockets on top of pockets on top of pockets, you need to be fully OCD to get into any kind or habit when using them, and it all becomes a bit of a blob of stuff.

And there is no grab handle, which is a pain in the arse when loading it into overhead lockers or just lifting it around.

ebygomm
    Free Member

I have an Eastpak one, the Kruizer, but it’s compact and bijou – no way that it’ll fit all your clobber.

They come in 3 different sizes, I’ve used the large one when going grocery shopping. It’s huge

pjt201
    Free Member

Another vote for mission workshop here. Get a shed and I’ll be amazed if you ever fill it.

crankboy
    Free Member

I have a Chrome messenger bag , be sure to get the size you need . Mine is fine for day to day use but won’t hold a big grocery shop . When I realised this I thought never mind i’ll just get a bigger one when this one wears out . That was well over 10 years ago and it is still going strong despite virtually daily use.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Another vote for mission workshop here. Get a shed and I’ll be amazed if you ever fill it.

Yup, Love mine..

Awesome bit of Kit IMHO.

ninfan
    Free Member

My youngest daughter has my old timbuk2 as her school bag – bought in 2002

I’m currently rocking a bugaboo – bloody wonderful

my eldest daughter got a custom bugaboo off me for her sixteenth birthday, for her to use at college!

have heard good stuff about this one:

http://www.bigxtop.com/category/messenger-bags

Bargain at that price too!

Dolcered

I use a timbuk 2 for my commute. Have 4 of them in total, I “needed” co-ordinating colours 🙂
    even survived a big slide on my back after a slight accident the other week,virtually unscathed. Never had anything get wet either.

I picked the whole lot up from ebay for much cheapness.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Lomo Watersports
    TBH, i’ve never used one but I have used their drybags and holdalls for years. one in particular has been kicked, dropped, soaked and generally abused and is still good.
    Also checks trhe “completely not cool” box

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

I was just about to post the Lomo one but BigButSlimmer beat me to it. My TNF one has done sterling service in the 8 years I’ve had it but is starting to look a bit tatty so may replace it with one of these.

IA

Similar problem, I need to carry a dell M4700 (a man’s laptop), plus maybe some clothes for an overnight trip.

It all goes into my large timbuk2 d-lux laptop messenger:

http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/products/d-lux-laptop-messenger-bondage-bag-sleeve/2114750

the zip along the top is genius, allows you to produce your laptop at a meeting without exposing all concerned to yesterdays underwear & your sandwiches rattling round the main part of the bag.

brakes
    Free Member

produce your laptop at a meeting without exposing all concerned to yesterdays underwear

what if they want to see your undercrackers? what if it ‘seals the deal’? if you know what I mean. nudge, nudge.

IA

what if they want to see your undercrackers? what if it ‘seals the deal’? if you know what I mean. nudge, nudge.

In such situations I can open the bag’s flap as per a normal messenger.

Of course when to open the flap and when to reach for the zip is a tricky call, I imagine I’d be taught such things if I had a MBA.

veedubba

I’ve had 3 Timbuk2 bags and 1 Bagaboo. All have had loads of pockets, cross straps, strap pads and a lot of use.

I’ve got a Deedog (medium) from 1996 that’s still going strong. It’s been a school bag, uni bag, commuting bag, weekend away bag and has been hand luggage too. I’ve abused it massively, used it on and off the bike regularly and it’s only now showing signs of age with the liner cracking and the Velcro starting to come unstitched (which Timbuk2 have sent me some more of, for free). I’d like to retire it but Can’t stop using it!

I used to have an XL Timbuk2 that I got custom made, which was a travel bag and served as a courier bag for 12 months. I could fit all sorts in it, including a motorcycle helmet, a couple of suits, lots of packages, most of an A3 portfolio and lots of other stuff I’ve forgotten. I only sold it because it was too massive and I wasn’t using it.

I have a couple of years old small deluxe Timbuk2 which is big enough to fit a 13″ laptop in the decidated sleeve, plus enough stuff for a day out, or a weekend away if you don’t take lots of clothes. It looks like new.

And finally, I have a large Bagaboo which was a custom order. It’s of heavier duty construction than the Timbuk2 bags and was a similar price to my XL Timbuk2. The strap buckle’s not as easy to use but it’s a great bag that I tend to use as a travel bag since it’s a bit big for my day to day stuff.

I don’t have any experience of other brands but I’d recommend Timbuk2 and Bagaboo both for quality and usability, as well as how good their customer service is.

samuri
    Free Member

If I were you, I’d be buying neilnevieleneivieienvieneiel’s red bag – exactly what you want and persumably at a bargain price.

I would do, but my wife wants to buy me a christmas present and has decided it’s a new courier bag. Which is a bit mean I thought. I don’t buy her a new mop for christmas. (She runs a cleaning business)

So I’ll consider that offer (and the subsequent conversation with the wife) but in the meantime I’m liking the way the conversation is now heading.

IA

I’m liking the way the conversation is now heading.

Underwear, and (in)appropriate display thereof?

Viewing 35 posts - 41 through 75 (of 75 total)

The topic ‘Messenger bags – It's been a horrible evening’ is closed to new replies.