Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Messed up a wheel build – advice pls…
  • vincienup
    Free Member

I’ve clearly become confused and my rear now has extreme deviation with two points approximately where I would like them drive side and all other points off in the wrong direction. Deviation is about a rim width either side of centre.

Really, my questions are: is it going to be easier to start again at this point? Closely followed by “when it’s becoming quite difficult to turn the spoke wrench should I assume I’ve gone too far?” Natural caution makes me think I probably have…

bails

when it’s becoming quite difficult to turn the spoke wrench should I assume I’ve gone too far

Yes. Although your ‘quite difficult’ might be my ‘just tightening up a bit’ so it could still be fine.

Best bet is to wind them all out to the same point and retension from there.

vincienup
    Free Member

I did wonder. As a guide my spokey spoke wrench feels like it might not survive being turned much further…

dirtydog
    Free Member

Back em all off and start again, wind nipples on evenly by counting the number of turns, its going to be difficult getting the final tension correct without a tension/deflection meter, you may have already over tightened them.

Maybe a job for LBS.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Lubed nipples? I’m never shy with the tension

Keef
    Free Member

yes,always lube yer nips,and just as importantly,the,er holes,in yer,er,rim…

vincienup
    Free Member

Pretty much what I figured.

Cheers, guys!

dirtydog
    Free Member

A Nipple Driver can save you a lot of work.

Wheelbuilding Tip #15 – Spin Those Nipples

100mphplus
    Free Member

I made a nipple driver from an old flat screwdriver and a broom handle! – file down end as per article above,(the ‘point’ needs to be ~ 3mm longer than flats), put 2 90deg bends in it so it will crank, drill a hole slightly bigger than the screwdriver shaft down the ctr of circular piece of wood, slide shaft into handle – one nipple driver 😀
    Makes wheels build so quick.

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Have you got the wheel building guide from wheelpro? Written by Roger Musson.Its very good and explains everything you need to know including how to make a spoke driver, wheel jig etc. Worth the £9 download to save a wrecked wheel.

http://www.wheelpro.co.uk/wheelbuilding/book.php

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Messed up a wheel build – advice pls…’ is closed to new replies.