• This topic has 6 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by Rio.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Mesh pc woe's
  • Gee-Jay
    Free Member

My pc has blown its motherboard. I am happy enough swapping components but dont really know whats good, bad & why.

The old motherboard was an AMD Athlon dual core 64 x 2 4800… what do I want to swap it to? Am I better swapping to another AMD as it should be a straightish swap?

Cheap is good, I suspect buying a motherboard bundle is the way to go.

Cheers

cranberry
    Free Member

unless you are going to replace like with like using a 2nd hand motherboard, you will probably have to replace motherboard, memory, processor and graphics card.

scuzz
    Free Member

Are you totally sure it’s the motherboard?
    First off, the AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800 is your Processor, which sits in the motherboard via a socket, called either 939 or AM2 (or maybe even AM2+). This dictates what motherboard you need.
    When was the computer new?

Cougar

Are you totally sure it’s the motherboard?

This. How have you diagnosed a faulty mobo?

elzorillo
    Free Member

As someone else said.. Thats an old system and if you need a new board, you’ll also need cpu.. memory etc.. then the windows wont work legally as the hardware manifest will be different..

You can buy a new tower for around £200 infinately better than the one you have, with a legitimate license and no hassle.

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

I had a couple of blue screens & then the c drive dropped out so I figured it was that. I had 4 hard drives in it anyway so not really an issue reinstalled os on a different one & started again. A couple of days later everything just stopped, and the internal speaker made a nasty siren like sound.

I took the sides off & tried to re-boot, all lights are on, drives sound as though they are starting up but nothing more happens, inc the fan on the cpu which appears to have blown.

I tried putting a new fan on incase I had tripped an overheat switch but it will not start at all – once again drives sound as though they are spinning up ok.

Powerpack appears to be fine as all the little led’s etc are ok so I have a box with an ok powerpack, decent video card that appears to be fine & 3 or maybe 4 good 500gb drives in it so would rather replace the motherboard than buy a new machine

Rio

Motherboards don’t generally just “blow”. My money would be on the power supply having some kind of problem, which may or may not have damaged your motherboard and may or may not damage any replacement motherboard.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Mesh pc woe's’ is closed to new replies.