Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Merlin wheel builds
  • solman
    Free Member

Anyone ever had any problems with Merlin wheels before?

I bought a set of wheels, hope pro2, stans flow from them about 6 months ago. The front has already buckled noticeably.

My riding isn’t “rad” at all. 2 wheels on the ground most of the time!

rocketman
    Free Member

My 20mm XT/XM719/db front wheel completely tacoed during an innocuous washout it was 8-shaped.

Spoke tension regulary checked they were pingy tight. I realise spoked wheels don’t have much lateral stiffness but it was like the hub had gone sideways through the wheel just tangled mass of spokes & rim.

wwaswas

about 6 months ago. The front has already buckled noticeably.

just get it trued at your lbs and carry on riding.

I have a 10 year old Hope XC/Merlin wheel that’s still goign strong – trued it once after about a year and not touched it since bar bi-annual bearing changes.

solman
    Free Member

just get it trued at your lbs and carry on riding

its at the LBS now 🙂

just querying as I would have thought the hope/flow combination would be very strong? Or does it need a once over after the first build?

wwaswas

6 months is quite a long time – sounds more liek ‘wear and tear’ than any buid defficincies.

Wheels don’t need truing up after a few weeks if built right.

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Have Mavic xm317 with SLX hubs and its been fine for over 12 months. Will use them again.

trailmoggy
    Free Member

Merlin wheels are about the best you can get

philfive
    Free Member

Rick at ATR Cycles makes very good wheels.

PiknMix
    Free Member

My xt’s laced to some generic mavic xc rim have been brilliant, need their first true after about 18 months of fairly hard riding.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Merlin wheel builds’ is closed to new replies.