Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Merlin S2200 or Triban 3
  • bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Looking at one of these as a entry into road bikes. Don’t want to spend much more as I plan to upgrade in the future if I like it.
    Also any tips as a first timer for road bikes?

retro83
    Free Member

Looks like the S2200 has a double, Triban has a triple.

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Trojan 3 has carbon fork too. But is not in stock at any store. Merlin is just down the road.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Reason why is that peope have realised what a total bargain it is.

antigee

this thread might be of interest – starts off about triban 5 but heads to sub £500 – not the thread was actually looking for – thought there was also a recent one about a new sub £500 Boardman and alternatives

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/btwin-triban-3-vs-boardman-sport-giant-defy-et-al

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

So is the Merlin not a good buy then?

antigee

the triban 3 is exceptional value, a carbon fork typically only appears around the £700 price point and does make the ride feel better

assuming the fit feels good – the merlin is ok value rather than exceptional and a good place to start – if merlin is local to you and can try for fit then go for and get out and find out if like and what you want from a bike

antigee

[panic]has doubts about advice[/panic}

or move budget up and buy a bike that would make a solid winter trainer if really get into it – the extra cost would be covered by getting a few years use out of it albeit as a second bike, rather than upgrade after a year and get next to nothing for a 2nd hand entry bike –

if lancs way then Ribble would possibly make sense and are very very well thought of

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sed/road-track-bike/ribble-7005-sportive-shimano-equipped?part=SE13RIBSPORT7005SHIM&sub=conf_SERA

hopes someone else comes along soon

kitebikeski
    Free Member

I know the Triban gets rave reviews but I was shocked how heavy it felt in the shop.
    Interested too as looking for entry level road bike for mrs kite’s big birthday pressie

hp_source

I have the equivalent of a Triban 5 (just a year or so older), from the pics it’s the same frame, only I’ve got campag gears on it… for what I use it for (summer rides, charity stuff, the odd commute) it’s been spot on, not really changed much (saddle, pads, bar tape).

It got me up Tourmalet and did a few hundred miles round France the other year too… for the £450 I paid for it at the time, it’s been a bargain.

retro83
    Free Member

kitebikeski – Member

I know the Triban gets rave reviews but I was shocked how heavy it felt in the shop.
    Interested too as looking for entry level road bike for mrs kite’s big birthday pressie

Suppose that depends on your viewpoint, I was shocked how light it was 😆

FWIW, loving mine. Only changed tyres and saddle, and I’m happy with it.

FuzzyWuzzy

The Mekk Pinerolo AL @ Wiggle are a decent buy to, got a good review in Cycling Plus, although it’s more Triban 5 money (for the Sora). I was tempted just for a turbo bike at that price…

kingboonen
    Free Member

Not sure if I’m too late, literally just registered to answer this question.

As you are close by and at the current price get the Merlin. Sora derailleurs and a better chain ring, I’m not sure how much difference the carbon fork will really make. I also think it’s a better frame you’re more likely to upgrade later on.

I’ve just ordered a Malt 2 Mountain bike from them. Apart from the great price I’d also complement their service, excellent so far and if you look around the web you’ll see the same from many people. Not sure how good it will be in decathlon. I get the feeling if you were out of warranty with Merlin they’d help you to sort it at a fair price, with decathlon, if you’re out of warranty you’re out of luck.

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Still toying with the idea yet. Have been reading cycling plus while recovering from a knee injury. I like the ideaof a road bike but just ddon’t want a huge outlay for if I don’t like it.

annebr
    Free Member

There are 2 Tribans on eBay now for more than £200.

For a £300 new price that’s pretty impressive. If you don’t like it you could sell for little loss IMO.

kingboonen
    Free Member

IF you’re not sure you need to think how much you would really use it. I’ve been a road cycling fan over 15 years, and there is nothing I’d love more than getting on a bike and trying some of the great routes In Europe (alpe, arenberg, muur etc.). However, road cycling in the UK can be dangerous, and on your own it is hard work. It’s also costly, neither of those bikes will last you much if you really get into it. I chose a mountain bike because I know I’ll use it. My daughter is 17 months but she’ll have a bike in a few years and a mountain bike is perfect for where I’d take her. Plus my wife doesn’t want a car to turnme into paté.

Basically, the reality will be different to the dream. I’d see if you can hire a bike/borrow one from a mate first if you really aren’t sure.

andeh

I have a Triban 3, bought as a toe-dipping exercise. I quite enjoy exploring on it now.

I guess a road rider might think it heavy (the wheels being the worst culpret) but going from a mountain bike it’s like gliding on air. When the wheels pack in, I’ll get some lighter replacements.

It’s not completely perfect, BUT IT’S £300! Bargain for a beginner bike.

kingboonen – it does seems like since I bought a road bike, everyone is trying to kill me 😯

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Merlin S2200 or Triban 3’ is closed to new replies.