Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Merlin Cycles – Stopping selling commencals
  • spock
    Free Member

Anyone else heard about merlin stopping selling commencals? apparently becasue they werent official dealers, just buying the frames and putting their own stuff on them so they could have low prices, official commencal dealers weren't very happy apparently, so they cant sell them now.

grumm
    Free Member

Not heard about that but I have heard lots of grumbling about how they were ruining the brand for anyone else by selling so cheap.

jam-bo

my local shop dropped commencal because they couldnt afford to compete with merlin and real cycles.

Kuco

I thought it was because they kept breaking 😉

gamo
    Free Member

def stopping stocking them, told my brother that it was due to breakages and poor(slow)warranty backup!they refunded my brother after breaking two
    meta 5's.

kamina
    Free Member

Not heard about that but I have heard lots of grumbling about how they were ruining the brand for anyone else by selling so cheap.

Not "quite" everyone else, I'm sure the customers did not mind…

druidh
    Free Member

kamina – Member

> Not heard about that but I have heard lots of grumbling about how they > were ruining the brand for anyone else by selling so cheap.

Unless, of course, you'd bought one at nearer RRP and then found the resale value crashed because some dealer was shagging them out?

Junkyard
    Free Member

The rumour is correct but as to why I am less sure ..dealers complianing, frames kept breaking probbaly a bit of both.
    They are negotiating with other suppliers but I have not asked for a few months who..did mention some interesting names.

showerman
    Free Member

yep local shop stopped selling them as they need to make a profit on selling stuff to keep open, its alright buying things at rock bottom (i do to)but one day are local shop will not be there which is why now i always ask for the best deal and go with that unless it is way off the mark then even i have to go to c.reaction

Junkyard
    Free Member

Merlin are my LBS 😆

djglover
    Free Member

Commencal are shonky, they ride very nice but I'd not buy another even if CRC were selling them off in some kid of flood sale.

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

Unless, of course, you'd bought one at nearer RRP and then found the resale value crashed because some dealer was shagging them out?

Please tell me people aren't considering resale values when they're buying bikes?

sheffield43
    Free Member

Amazing how a brand's reputation can plumet over a couple of years. When I bought my Meta 5 a couple of years ago they were raved about by all and sundry but nowadays I'd be nervous of getting one. My LBS has dropped Commencal also due to the Merlin effect ironically (could be the same shop as previous posters I suppose) Still rate mine though.

kamina
    Free Member

onion – Premier Member
    kamina – Member
    > Not heard about that but I have heard lots of grumbling about how they > were ruining the brand for anyone else by selling so cheap.

I'm quite used to buying stuff and finding it sold for 50% less after a while. That's life, and if there's somebody to be pissed off to it's everybody else then Merlin (somebody is eating up the margins in everyone elses sales)?

juan
    Free Member

Funny stuff is that here, i don't see as many problems on commencal bikes and when problem there is it's deal with much efficiency (altough not in the fairest way for the LBS I do admit).

Do people now you need a fair amount of seat post in the seat tube not just the usual 'min' insert?

hilldodger
    Free Member

Do people now you need a fair amount of seat post in the seat tube not just the usual 'min' insert?

'Fashion' now seems to be a frame a size too small, (for 'chuckability') with half a metre of post waving in the air 🙄

druidh
    Free Member

HeathenWoods – Member

Please tell me people aren't considering resale values when they're buying bikes?

I wouldn't. Every time I buy a bike, I tend to prevaricate to make sure I've bought "the right on". However, some do.

hora
    Free Member

I remember there was a meta5 on a recent ride and I must admit I kept unconsciously glancing at the frame throughout the ride then thinking ('has it snapped yet'?) 😕

druidh
    Free Member

Didn't we work out that Cotics have a higher failure rate than Commencals?

juan
    Free Member

Didn't we work out that Cotics have a higher failure rate than Commencals?

Yup well IIRC.

DickBarton

'Fashion' now seems to be a frame a size too small, (for 'chuckability') with half a metre of post waving in the air

I've been doing that since 1997 – does that make me a fashion leader? I hope not as it's due to my lanky build and not because it is more chuckable – I prefer remaining in contact with my bike so chucking it isn't an option for me!

hora
    Free Member

Dickbarton. My bike feels absolutely spot-on but looking at binners pic of me it looks tiny compared!

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=670495805#/photo.php?pid=3646828&id=712612749

zangolin
    Free Member

DickBarton – Member

'Fashion' now seems to be a frame a size too small, (for 'chuckability') with half a metre of post waving in the air

I've been doing that since 1997 – does that make me a fashion leader? I hope not as it's due to my lanky build and not because it is more chuckable – I prefer remaining in contact with my bike so chucking it isn't an option for me!

I was doing it 20 years before that in late 70s with my long seatposted, 24" wheeled, "cow-horn handlebared", 5-speed, "scrambler". Mind you I probably only had 1" of post left in the frame! Being only 12 I didn't really know any better.

retro83
    Free Member

Shame really, i fancied a 2010 meta 5 frame only but 1200 is too much. Mind you, don't seem to be many (any?) name brand full sus available frame only for under a grand

zangolin
    Free Member

retro83 – Member
    Shame really, i fancied a 2010 meta 5 frame only but 1200 is too much. Mind you, don't seem to be many (any?) name brand full sus available frame only for under a grand

Giant Trance X frame – £990

hora
    Free Member

Wow, that is a cracking deal (pardon the pun)

retro83
    Free Member

Thanks, thats not bad, but not quite the 600 that merlin were punting metas out for! 🙁
    Btw how come that isn't violating the dw link patent?

hora
    Free Member

retro83, if you look hard enough you'll find stunningly great deals not readily advertised on bikeshop websites. A mate walked into cyclesurgery and spotted a Blur4x frame that had been hung on their wall for over a year. It is now in my possession 8)

Phone round a few of the big listed dealers and ask them if they have any ex-demo etc etc knocking about.

jackthedog
    Free Member

Btw how come that isn't violating the dw link patent?

Would you like to take on the legal team of a company the size of Giant? 😀

hora
    Free Member

Or it could be licenced out a la Specialized FSR?

zangolin
    Free Member

hora – Member
    Or it could be licenced out a la Specialized FSR?

AFAIK it's similar but different. Defo not licensed from Specialized. I think the linkages rotate in the opposite direction to Specialized + other VPP designs?

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Merlin Cycles – Stopping selling commencals’ is closed to new replies.