Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Merlin Cycles – any good at wheel building?
  • zelak999
    Free Member

As per title, any experience with Merlins handbuilt wheel sets?

wwaswas

never heard a bad word about them.

I had a pair of hope/mavic’s off them that lasted 7 years without a spoke key touching them (I sold them so they’re probably still going strong)

RustySpanner

Wife’s are nine years old, mine seven – never touched apart from bearings.
    Hope/Mavic.

dirtydog
    Free Member

never heard a bad word about them.

Had a couple of pairs over the years, build my own now, couldn’t see the point of having to retension theirs, and that was before they’d been used, finger tight nipples don’t cut it.

Crag
    Free Member

Not had any recently but wheel building is where they built their reputation.

All the ones I’ve had have been very good. In fact, I’ve still got a 717 on an XT hub sat in the garage from 11 years ago that’s straight and true.

alanf
    Free Member

I’m still using a set of Hope xc/Mavic 317s from 2002.
    They’ve been through various bikes had a few spokes replaced due to crashing and other than that have been great and still performing on juniors bike.

mike_p
    Free Member

Had a few wheels from them, all of which were fine. The customer service on the other hand, on the one occasion when all was not well… non-existent (literally). So I also build my own now.

iain1775
    Free Member

I still have a set of Shimano LX / Mavic wheels they built in 1995

johni
    Free Member

No problems with the ones I’ve had.

hopkinsgm

Been a few years since I last bought a custom wheel from them, but all the ones that I’ve had have been good solid wheels that have required minimal attention over years of (ab)use

iain1775
    Free Member

If your in the north west then I hear Dave Hinde also builds a good wheel 😈

zelak999
    Free Member

If your in the north west then I hear Dave Hinde also builds a good wheel

Yes i’ve heard he’s got a reputation…….

hopkinsgm

a reputation

That’s putting it mildly…

Fantombiker

Very good. Mavic/hope hubs mtb superb wheels…..

zelak999
    Free Member

Its taking ages to get a quote out of them!!!!

Spin
    Free Member

I’ve had a few sets and they’ve been great.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

I’ve had my best set of wheels from them and my worst set of wheels from them. Make of that what you will.

doubledunter
    Free Member

Ive just sold a set of 26inch flows on hopes, 3 years old and still ran true and as sweet as the day I bought them, just bought a set of arch on hopes last week from them, hopefully these will be the same 😀

zelak999
    Free Member

Well there seems to be far more positives than negatives.

cannondaleking
    Free Member

Had a pair when I was younger 14 or so xt m737 on mavic 517 rims that lasted about 3 years (all weather training killed them).

My brother got a set to wind me up December last year hope stans crest 26″ and I had to rebuild them not good so back fire on him really lol as I made him wait.

Northwind

It’s a while ago now but they sent a mate a set that were out of true and slightly out of dish, spoke tension wasn’t awful but it wasn’t good. When he queried it they more or less went, you’re wrong, we’re the experts, goodbye.

Mine were fine though.

myopic
    Free Member

2 perfect sets for me. One Mavic 317 Rims on shimano XT hubs (4-5 years old) and the other set Mavic 719 on Hope hubs (5-6 years old). Both sets still running sweet and true several sets of bearings later. Not had any wheels off them since then, but always found their customer service to be great.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Merlin Cycles – any good at wheel building?’ is closed to new replies.