Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Merlin Cycles
  • StuMcGroo
    Free Member

Just built my first bike, initially I planned to source all the bits second hand but after days of watching Ebay auctions only to see stuff go for silly money along with equally silly postage charges I started looking around on-line.

Enter Merlin Cycles, ordered everything brand new last Saturday night, Sunday morning and Monday morning (after an email reply at 0900) and the whole lot was delivered for FREE on Tuesday morning.

I reckon it's cost me £20 more than I would have had to pay for s/h parts, not to mention a lot less hassle and a feeling that christmas had come early when I was opening all the stuff!

So a big thank you to Merlin for top drawer service and competitive pricing 🙂

cp

Merlin are currently quickest/most reliable, if not the hugest range.

I really rate them.

ononeorange

Yup. Tyres ordered yesterday at 13.10, sitting in our kitchen this morning.

I know the feeling of patiently waiting for the "right" ebay items to come round for days, only to see the price go through the roof in the last 10 seconds or so, meaning another 9 day or whatever wait. So frustrating! I'm surprised that you reckon (even with Merlin) the prices were so close new, but it does have the advantage that if something is broken, you have decent comeback.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

I've not bought anything SH on ebay for a while, the prices just seem to be silly on there at the moment. For the bike I'm just buying new at the moment really for the reasons that Stu mentions.

wors

I called into the shop earlier, never been in before. The warehouse looks like the closing scene out of raiders of the lost ark!

mcboo
    Free Member

+1

Don't know why but I always check with Merlin before I buy elsewhere, it's not about price either, I just kind of like dealing with them. Never let me down.

jp-t853

Maerlin are good. I only use buy it now on ebay as the bidding thing is like a death of a thousand cuts particularly on cycling gear.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

The warehouse looks like the closing scene out of raiders of the lost ark!

Its full of Nazis?

mboy
    Free Member

Yup, Merlin Cycles are very good.

More importantly though Stu, what you got??? 😛

richmtb

Merlin are ace. They know what the are competitive on – MTB drivetrain, wheels, brakes and forks and they pretty much stick to it. Service is great and if you have to phone them they are always easy to get a hold of.

m_t_b
    Free Member

"Service is great and if you have to phone them they are always easy to get a hold of."

Very true they have helped me out no end. My top 2 are Merlin and UK Bike Store I find them to be similar companies to deal with.

StuMcGroo
    Free Member

ononeorange – I'm surprised that you reckon (even with Merlin) the prices were so close new

i think the trick is not to narrow your options down. i wanted good quality but was happy to compromise and go with special offers. therefore complete slx 10 speed groupset (shifters, front and rear mech, bb, crank, cassette, chain, inner and outer cables) for £269.95. buying individually on ebay, with postage, you're not going to be far off that.

mboy – what you got???

i got this, you'll need to scroll down a bit 😆

mboy
    Free Member

this

Hahahahahahahaha

BRILLIANT!

My sides are splitting… 😉

Welcome to the fold anyway… Though can pretty much guarantee you'll be putting some suspension forks on it fairly soon!

So we going 29er-ing sometime soon then fella? And when you sticking an Alfine hub on it? 😛

steveh

Yup I think they're great too, they even answer the phone as well. I'll always use them in preference to CRC now.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Still gobsmacked at getting an xc717 rim built (very well) onto an XT hub with decent spokes for £90 from them – amazing! It was really well boxed too.

My first port of call now.

I popped into my previously okayish LBS earlier to check out their range of lights and was deeply underwhelmed by their range and service. Despite being a very regular customer in the past (bought three bikes, loads of parts) I was treated as a minor annoyance for wanting a bit of info on the cr4p range they stock.

I shall be buying on-line.

scruzer
    Free Member

Yep and great wheel builds too

Coleman
    Free Member

Yep, Merlin are cool, but so are CRC, my local bike shop Sammies, and even J E James (Chesterfield shop not t'internet -thanks Dean).
    Mind you I am a serial bike bits shopaholic!

davy-g
    Free Member

A+ here for Merlin from me… their turnaround and support are first class..

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Merlin Cycles’ is closed to new replies.