Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Merkur razor question
  • pedlad

After reading previous threads on here I took the plunge and got a merkur futur de razor.

There’s very little in the way of instructions with the razor so can someone advise what the extremes of the 1-6 adjustment are? Rather not just experiment on my face!

Cheers

chewkw
    Free Member

If you have never use DE razor before start with 2 to see how you get on with it then adjust accordingly as you go along.

Shave slowly with no pressure on the razor.

Woody
    Free Member

General rule is start off on the lowest setting and go higher as you get used to it or feel you need to.
    It’s a case of experimenting but dOnt worry too much and get a decent soap and brush if you haven’t already.

pedlad

thanks.

I got a nice brush and soap as a xmas present with the razor from my parents (my dad thinks I’m mad going back to technology his generation used then shunned!).

My perspective is that the mach 3 / fusion stuff is all now marketing led and probably doesn’t give as good a shave as a good DE approach. It’s just the market i.e. us men, generally have no experience of anything but their products with which to compare. Also the cost of the blades for fusion really cheeses me off (and I get a staff discount from my place of work!)

Just had a go with setting 1, and the included merkur blade and it went ok. No blood and pretty close on the cheek/chin but less so on the neck. Noted the other threads don’t rate the merkur blades but do the feathers/gillete 7 o’clock and others so just ordered a selection pack.

Technique plus experimentation with blades and gap setting needed I think to get the best out of it but I’m pretty impressed with the first effort.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Feathers rock. 🙂

chewkw
    Free Member

These are good DE razor blades …

grantway
    Free Member
    chewkw
    Free Member

grantway – Member

Try This Immac Hair Removal

Tried that but the smell put me off … LOL!

Oh ya … when the hairs grow back you get ingrown hairs.

winston_dog
    Free Member

Merkur razors are excellent but the blades are absolute rubbish.
    Astra are the best blades, followed by Feathers, IMO.

oddjob
    Free Member

I like feathers too

I think a mach3 Ives a better shave but a DE causes a lot less irritation and fewer ingrowing hairs IME

colournoise

Also got a Merkur (38c) and the rest of the ‘kit’ (including a load of blades) as a present this Christmas, so this thread has saved me digging up some of the older ones or asking again myself.

slainte 🙂 rob

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

I favour Gillette 7 O’clock blades, but whatever blades you end up liking most, you can usually pick up over a years supply on eBay for buttons

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Shave after a sauna*. best shave ever without the need for foam, gel or soap.

*best done by a naked blonde girl

saladdodger
    Free Member

seconded 7o’clock sharp for me to

Clobber
    Free Member

I prefer the feathers to the 7o’clocks but the 7o’clocks seem to last a bit longer….

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Merkur razor question’ is closed to new replies.