Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • Merino baselayers
  • redwoods
    Free Member

I’ve been wearing some Smartwool ultralight merino baselayers year round and really rate them (although as already mentioned they do tear like tissue paper, and a long-sleeved one got turned into a short sleeved one after a brush with a tree at Afan).

They’ve washed well, are a good fit, never get sweaty and are soft and non-itchy against the skin. I’ve bought a few more from Cotswold Outdoor who are having a bit of a sale on Smartwool at the moment.

SimonR

Really rate the Rab Meco stuff – mixture of merino and bamboo. Seems to wick and dry as well as a synthetic but without the smell. Also dry noticeably quicker than a pure Merino. Much nicer feel to them too (IMO). Got a combo of a short sleeved one, long sleeved and long-lseeved with a zip and then mix and match to suit.

fatmax

I use both, polyprop in summer, wool when it’s cooler/wetter.
    I’ve got short and longsleeved Howies NBL and they have been superb. Used every day for commuting, working outside etc and they have been brilliant. Bought about 5-6 years ago, so not sure on current quality or the alternatives that folk mention.
    I used a long sleeve NBL under my waterproof jacket (which leaks) at this years 3 peaks cyclo cross race. I was soaked to the skin for hours, but it still kept me warm as long as I kept moving, and I reckon I would have really suffered in a polyprop in those conditions.
    FTM

motozulu
    Free Member

Got an endura baa baa merino longsleeve to go under my waterproof jacket. It is brilliant at regulating heat (hot or cold) and even when wet under the jacket (sweat) the warmth is brilliant. I’ve worn it without the jacket too and fell off – it did’nt tear so can’t be that fragile? all in all I’m a fan. 🙂

2tyred

where from ? I have an old NBL and on lookout for a new one

Howies site, using code CLOCKS til midnight Sunday.

druidh
    Free Member

Code TICKTOCK is advertised on the Howies home page

mmannerr

martinxyz – Member
    I love merino at work.. or just messing about. On the bike it’s rapidly dropped to my least fav bit of kit ever. Icebreakers in different types,lidl’s crevit ss, M&s ls.. I get wet in them with ease no matter which combo of other layers I use.

Couldn’t agree more and I have had couple of other merino brands too. I have never gone for a proper ride and come back happy wearing merino gear except for socks maybe.

Craft Pro series, Loeffler or similar good quality synthetic layers for sports and merino for commuting and general outdoors messing about.

robbonzo
    Free Member

I love my Arcteryx Phase baselayer, just ordered another one in fact. On sale for £27.
    It is a synthetic layer but super comfortable to wear, and wicks brilliantly. I have the Phase SL (superlight) which I think is best for riding as I always wear a jersey or jacket over it. They do thicker versions if that’s your bag.

iainc

2tyred – Member

where from ? I have an old NBL and on lookout for a new one

Posted 2 hours ago # Report-Postdruidh – Member

2tyred » where from ? I have an old NBL and on lookout for a new one

Code TICKTOCK is advertised on the Howies home page

many thanks

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Merino baselayers’ is closed to new replies.