Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Merino baselayers for the tall and skinny
  • simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

195cm, 80kg. Howies stuff used to fit really well but tried to order a new NBL a couple of months back and the fit is now all to cock. body big, shoulders narrow, sleeves stupidly short.

Tried on Icebreaker the other day and lovely quality, good body fit and arms just about long enough but stupidly short in the body.

Where should I look now?

LoCo
    Free Member

Finesterre

Bez

Hm, I was going to say my Icebreaker ones (simple round-neck type things) fit me really well (M in short sleeve and L in long sleeve). They’re actually nice and long in the body on me and stay reliably tucked into waist tights. Bought them in NZ in 2006, though… maybe they’ve changed the design since then?

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Does it need to be long for a base layer? Surely it’s gonna be under a jersey or jacket?

ton

rab

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Does it need to be long for a base layer? Surely it’s gonna be under a jersey or jacket?

I wear them under jumpers with jeans and walking as well – always better to be longer.

Finnesterre was next on my list. Haven’t seen the RAB ones.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I wear them under jumpers with jeans and walking as well – always better to be longer.

Finnesterre was next on my list. Haven’t seen the RAB ones.

bigjim

Same problem here, I have a HH one but it sits around my belly button pretty much. I should tie a knot in it.

giantonagiant

6ft 7ins and about 90kg.

I swear by Icebreaker stuff. What I have learned though, is that they have different fits ‘Bodyfit’ is the snuggest on me and plenty long enough in arms and body.

I tried a Rab Coconut / Merino one recently, good length in sleeves and arms, but not nearly snug enough in the body. If fact it was ***kin massive, even in a large.

Gotama
    Free Member

I find arcteryx fits me well in their various baselayers including the merino flavours.

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

Smartwool. My lge base is plenty long enough, in body and arms.

turbo1397
    Free Member

Helly hanson merino mix. 6ft 4″ and the xl is perfect..:)

larrythelathe
    Free Member

I second the HH ones they had a offer on as well

ashfanman
    Free Member

Thirded. I sound a similar size/shape to you and find that the HH Lifa Warm Ice Crew fits perfectly in Large. Amazon had them on offer for £25 a while ago, which was a ridiculous bargain, but they’re still good value at £35 IMO.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Lifa warm merino mix are my favourite warm base layer but only good for the coldest days so looking for thinner pure merino for the rest of the season.

ashfanman
    Free Member

Lifa warm merino mix are my favourite warm base layer but only good for the coldest days so looking for thinner pure merino for the rest of the season.

Ah, okay. I wear my Howies Vail merino t-shirt during the summer – picked up three for £20 each in a sample sale a few years back. Really like them. That said, the way things are looking at the moment, you’ll probably be fine wearing the HH Warm for most of the year… 🙁

IA

Howies have changed the NBL? Gits! Just thinking about ordering new ones as the elbows are wearing through 🙁

(6’4″)

sambob
    Free Member

Like my Icebreaker, 6’2″ 75kg.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Merino baselayers for the tall and skinny’ is closed to new replies.