Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Merida Marathon – Selkirk 2009
  • Xan
    Free Member

I have just finished compleing the form and signed the cheque for my first ever marathon. Doing the above event the first weekend in August. For anyone that has done this event or has memories of their first marathnon, what should I expect??? (apart from sore muscles I eould guess)

what should I be taking with me?

cynic-al
    Free Member

It’s a long and hard ride, weather could be anything, that’s about it.

Preparing by just getting fit and doing a ride of simlar duration would be a good idea.

chunkypaul
    Free Member

thoroughly enjoyed last years event; i had been building up the marathon fitness last year and wanted to do the 100km but alas i was too slow and missed the cut off point and had to settle with the 75km’er… though at the time wasn’t that bothered…

good atmosphere, cracking descents, some sections of the innerleithen trail were included in previous selkirk, long climbs and varied conditions – it rained quite a bit i remember last year 😉 and on the last descent (which seeming to go on forever) watch out for photographers lurking near deep water crossings – they are deeper than you think!

get some long rides in!

Xan
    Free Member

Training plan at moment consists of

Monday – 10 mile road/canal path run
    Tuesday – Day off
    Wednesday – Ride at night with local bike club (not started this yet but think it is about 15-20 miles on/off road)
    Thursday – 10 mile road/canal path run
    Friday – Carron valley – 2 laps
    Saturday/Sunday – 1 lap of one of the 7 stanes trail centres on red/black trails.

Will try and increase Monday/Thursday ride miles, but time is a factor as I do this before work and can be a bit lazy in the mornings. I’ll try and get this to 25 miles before the actual event and up the Carron Valley laps to 3 laps (15 miles).

Just hoping this is enough. also watching Diet and doing other exercise in the house to get me fitter.

nodrog2
    Free Member

Expect to stand and queue for about 20 mins at the first section of singletrack unless you make a decent fast(ish) start from the front(ish).

Nickquinn293
    Free Member

Hi – 2009 will be my sixth year of doing this event. It’s great but the weather can really make or break it. Last 2 years have been wet. Lots of good singletrack incorporated for such a long course. It’s always a big turn out and there are always issues with bottlenecks at certain points near the start of the day (eg top of first big climb). Spreads out after that. My best advice is to get a long road cycle in once a week to help your body cope with the endurance. Well, that worked for me anyway.

Thoroughly recommendable event.

ScotlandTheScared

I never bothered training for selkirk (or any other race/event!). Having done Selkirk a number of times I reckon it is a brilliant course – superb views and riding. 2 tips for you:

1) Get somewhere near the front over the road section and first fireroad climb because if you end up near the back after that you end up in a big queue to get up the first big climb and then in a queue to get down the descent. I basically go as fast as I can for the first bit and then ease off after the first climb.

2) Eat food BEFORE you think you need it. That way you keep your energy levels topped up.

Have fun – probably see you there – a bunch of folk from my club will be going (Newcastle MTB)…

coopersport1
    Free Member

I’ve not ridden Selkirk but if it’s anything like the 1st one at Builth Wells expect lots of ups!
    Training wise don’t worry to much on the distance you cover, just get time in the saddle, if your new to marathons and expect to do the 100km course you need to be prepared for 6+hrs in the saddle. Food and fluids at every opportunity, I rode the ELBNO and then the 65km marathon last time and because it was hotter than expected didn’t get enough fluids in early enough, so after 3hrs I started cramping not good!

Enjoy the atmosphere, don’t get sucked in to riding faster than you comfortable with too early, it’s not a race, and be prepared for a great day out!

I’ll be there hopefully last big ride before I hit the TransWales!

Cooroo
    Free Member

Done quite a few Meridas, Selkirk 2007 (weather put us off in 2008!). It was significantly tougher than the Welsh or Lake ones I’ve done. Fantastic course though. Keep eating – I hit a mental block and the middle third was grim.

Oh, I only do 50k as I’m not fit and hardly train at all!

Xan
    Free Member

Silly question butcan I take a caravan for camping or is it roughing it in a tent only. Just thinking of the comforts of a warm van and a shower after the event lol. I know I’m a big girl but why rough it when you can have creature comforts haha.

Nickquinn293
    Free Member

All sorts of things pitched up at Selkirk Rugby club, but I would contact mtb-marathon website to be on the safe side.

I_did_dab
    Free Member

It’s a lovely course. You’ll need to prepare for a) lots of climbs, mostly smooth, some steep and b) lots of downs, some technical and the odd bit of black graded XC trailcenter stuff and c) a fair bit of standing around waiting or queueing. Also make sure your bike is in good condition and comfy – 4-7 hours on a bike that doesn’t fit will be painful.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Long, hard and busy. It is a fantastic course just not with 7 million other people. I did the first one, didn’t like it, never been back.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Merida Marathon – Selkirk 2009’ is closed to new replies.