Viewing 31 posts - 121 through 151 (of 151 total)
  • Merida Brass Monkeys
  • Gee-Jay
    Free Member

Peterpoddy +1 (other than the living in Farnborough bit, I'm in Fleeeeeet)

Ti29er
    Free Member

I appreciate this.
    Yesterday was a mere 4hrs+, so it was always going to be ridden at a quicker pace than a 12 or 24hr ride.
    We did Bonty Pairs in 2009, came 10th I think, plus pairs in the Set2Rise but I managed to feeding / energy / rest / effort balance quite effectively.

So for the event in May, for which I have 100+ days in which still to train, I am in a far better place this time this year than I was last year, so the Brass Monkey was no more than good training, seeing how the bike behaved, reminding myself about cramp (!) and feeding in particular. Plus I must sort out my front mech' as having no steep, granny-ring hills locally it's something I was unaware of.

njee20
    Free Member

I tried Elete water in High 5 yesterday for the first time. Whilst I wasn't trying particularly hard, I suspect I would've cramped without any supplement, I always used to cramp like clockwork while racing.

I'd recommend trying that, just add a few drops (literally) to whatever you drink, doesn't affect the taste, so you don't have to worry about a different taste.

Ti29er
    Free Member

The High5 or the Elete – which I'm not familiar with.
    Cramp's a sod – plenty of people here report cramping up.
    On Meridas, I chew salt sachets from McD's – seems to work, if a little difficult to manage!

+1 H4H contribution too.

njee20
    Free Member

Sorry, the Elete water.

You can add it to anything you want, from water to squash or your choice of energy drink (I find High 5 most palatable) to provide electrolytes.

Clicky

atlaz
    Free Member

PP – Swinley is fine for a quick blast but I think the course yesterday, once I've got my bearings will be good for a bit more of a workout and longer rides (I'm not into sessioning so much). I noticed a lot of built trails cutting across the stuff we were riding that should be worth an explore.

On the subject of cramp, I'm going to take a bottle for whenever I race next as I have a can of powdered supplement for electrolyte replacement I used for one of those "standing around in a hot field for hours in summer" type sports.

Ti29er
    Free Member

Ta.
    I'll try it; ordered it just now – they do like their web pages in the transaction don't they!
    Quite a claim

Eliminates cramp . Enhances energy.

njee20
    Free Member

I'm wary of any 'isotonic' product that claims to provide electrolytes, as they just don't work for me. Tried High 5, Torq, Maxim and Power Bar, none have had any effect on cramp, Zym or Nuun effervescent tabs are good, but then you don't get any carbohydrates so need to up your intake of gels/bars, or this Elete water seems good.

JamesP
    Free Member

The Elete stuff is good you can't taste it at all. High 5 source is nice but very sticky. By day 3 or the Tour of Wessex last year I could barely get my bottle out of the cage – stuck fast with High 5.

Speaking of getting fuelling wrong. I rode La Marmotte last year and in my infinite wisdom used High 5 Energy Source Extreme (i.e. with caffeine) and Torq Guarana gels. 8hrs 43 mins from the start I crossed the line having consumed 10 torq gels and 8 bottles of High 5. The problem was I was so pumped full of caffeine I couldn't think straight or sit still. It took me 30 mins to translate the fact that D'Or meant I'd got a gold standard time.

I think the trick with cafeine is to use it sparingly. The Torq gels are brilliant but only every couple of hours – not every gel.

JamesP
    Free Member

Btw, for 12 and 24 hour races you should consider Hammer Nutrition HEED. Very light on the palate and easy to stomache. Just started to become available over here now – its a US product. Its going to be my drink of choice for Mayhem and 24:12.

njee20
    Free Member

Whilst I find High 5 very easy to drink, but couldn't comprehend drinking SIS, which is truly revolting IMO, so basically you just need to try lots of different drinks to see what you like!

Ti29er
    Free Member

Thanks.
    I have the Zimm and now the one njee mentioned.
    What I found at Bonty was the sweat 'n' sour chicken with rice from the canteen went down a treat!
    Whislt my oppo' was puking up Smash (never again he swears!) I was feeling great at 3am. My 2x dogs liked the Smash however!
    As you say, go easy on the caffine gels. The SIS ones are vile but are over and done with in 10 seconds.
    Torq stuff generally seems very good.
    Cheers for the advice from the front.

PS – have you used this stuff, which was being handed out at the Summer Polaris (7hrs on the Saturday, 5hrs on the Sunday over the Peaks)?

"CNP's Pro Energy Max Gel has been developed in conjunction with British Cycling and the Sky Pro Cycling Team and is used by their riders.
    Pro Energy Max Gel can be used by cyclists of any level to give a boost during their ride."

JamesP
    Free Member

Not seen it. There seens to plenty of new entrants to the energy foods market. Personally I am not sure about Pro Slam – wtf 😉

dobo
    Free Member

excellent course, only rode one complete lap though as i was cursed with punctures… i had 3, 1 in the front side wall which sealed but required several stops, then got double whammy on the rear 2 miles in on the second lap, again in the sidewall, not a snake bite though, so called it a day and walked back.
    I deliberately did not walk through the finish line when i came back as i took a short cut or 2 but they must have spotted me and recorded my time for the 2nd lap hehe thanks 🙂 must have walked 2 miles atleast..
    very frustrating though as i felt pretty good after 1st lap as i didnt go out to fast due to congestion on the course.

thanks to those that offered me a tube and a chat, and to thoose that told me to mtfu and get back on my bike lol

nicks
    Free Member

great course, really good day out riding!

6 laps, 7 energy gels, 3 mule bars and 2.5 bottles of electrolyte

thanks to Si and the army team !!

my dads pictures here

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23318875@N02/collections/72157606984867287/

Ti29er
    Free Member

It was interesting doing that event, just to witness what Steve Heading can actually do!
    It's all well racing 'round and 'round a loop, but add in map reading across the Paek District and time / distance management, and then see how many of the points he visited in the same time frame. Simply awesome!

They were one of the sponsors and having chatted to them and received some of the products, it seemed pretty good and effective. On the last day, I was about 25 seconds inside the 5hr cut-off time. Boy! Did I have to run-for-home in that last hour, as hard an hour as I've ever had on a bike! I still makes me smile.

njee20
    Free Member

Huh?

chakaping
    Free Member

nicks – your dad's photos are excellent

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

but I think the course yesterday, once I've got my bearings will be good for a bit more of a workout and longer rides

Oh yes. That's the biggest hill in these parts! 🙂

Anyone else want a photo?
    Email me your race number (in profile) and I'll have a look see if I've got you. £2 a pic, all money to Help for Heros. 😀

chakaping
    Free Member

Did anybody else see the poor lonely Eggbeater pedal that had obviously fallen off of somebody's bike on the heath bit around the 5 or 6 mile mark?

Somebody must have had one sore leg yesterday, if they went on and finished without it.

Ti29er
    Free Member

Yes.
    It was one of the cheap ones.
    You can manage on the spindle, not ideal.
    The same happened to me at the Montane Kilder 100, 37 miles into the course, but that was not a technical as Sunday's ride.

JamesP
    Free Member

Happened to me at the Bordon Enduro. Nut on spindle worked its way off. Lost cage part of pedal in the mud, had to ride the second half of the lap with just the spidle on the drive side. Horrible.

To make matters worse it was a 3ti eggbeater 🙁

DezB
    Free Member

Found some more pics (Mike, I think) @ 1st gear cycles http://www.1stgearcycles.com/gallery.vc

.. and nicks' dad's ones feature mr goat (just about) on his one wheeler 🙂

chakaping
    Free Member

Nobody managed to take my picture.

I'm starting to wonder if it was all a strange dream.

blue_mountain_goat
    Free Member

.. and nicks' dad's ones feature mr goat (just about) on his one wheeler

mmmmm… this ones better! 😀
    http://joolzedymond.com/photocart/index.php?do=photocart&viewImage=75976

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Nobody managed to take my picture.

I'm starting to wonder if it was all a strange dream.

Have you asked me? If not, what was your race number please?

Also, have a look in my HONESTY BOX. If you take one from here please bung me £2 on Paypal – It's all for Help for Heros. 🙂

chakaping
    Free Member

You checked yesterday thanks Pete.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

One last bump just in case anybody else would like to pay me £2 for a pic of themselves racing, all money going to Help for Heros.

Please email me on peterpoddy@googlemail.com with your race number, and I'll see if I have a shot of you. 🙂

Also, I've made £22 so far.

Not bad considering it was only a suggestion from Joolze that I should do this.

Thanks everyone!:D

S_Works
    Free Member

One more of Mr Goat.

Chakaping, what number were you?

blue_mountain_goat
    Free Member

ah….. Very Nice. 😆

S_Works
    Free Member

Happy now!

Viewing 31 posts - 121 through 151 (of 151 total)

The topic ‘Merida Brass Monkeys’ is closed to new replies.