Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • mercury – anyone care?
  • isto
    Free Member

Whats the general feeling about the Mercury Music Award these days? I have lost some interest over the years. Don’t think this is related to my old age (relatively y’know) as I still seek out new music, but more-so the albums that get nominated these days. That said there are always two or three that I like beforehand and a couple that I get to know after watching the show.

This year my standouts would be Aphex Twin, Jamie XX and Wolf Alice. But also think I should give Ghostpoet and Gaz a listen. Anyone any interest this year?

doris5000

anytime anyone says the Mercury prize has gone downhill i just point them to the 1994 contest….

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercury_Prize

footflaps

Didn’t know it was still going?

Maybe Enya will finally get the recognition she deserves?

P-Jay
    Free Member

Not me, it’s one of those ‘NME-ist’ things IMHO. A bit of a love-in for music hipsters who lose interest in anything once it becomes popular and the Band / Singer “sells out”.

Perhaps that’s harsh – but they’re certainly the sort of organisation that refuses to accept popularity is any measure of quality – when it’s probably the best measure of them all – if lots of people like something, it must be good, however much it doesn’t suit your particular taste.

They’ve picked some great albums over the years, but usually they choose the fringe outsider who screams nonsense into the mic whilst he mates headbutt their Nan’s cookertop.

maccruiskeen

but they’re certainly the sort of organisation that refuses to accept popularity is any measure of quality

That was sort of the point – the Brits already existed – popularity prizes for people who’d already won prizes for popularity. The Mercury has different criteria – prestige, perhaps, more than celebration – and it plays a different role. By the time an act / song / album get recognised by the Brits it already done its work, its already been commercially successful. The Mercury’s are more about turning critical success into commercial success, so nominees will tend to see sales as a result of the nomination rather than a nomination as a result of the sales.

isto
    Free Member

Totally agree with Maccruiskeen it is one award that is not driven by popularity.

A bit of a love-in for music hipsters who lose interest in anything once it becomes popular and the Band / Singer “sells out”.

Don’t think we can say this just because some of the nominees are slightly left-field. TBH I would say true music hipsters (I **** hate that catchall phrase) wouldn’t go anywhere near the Mercury as it is too commercial.

Does anyone know if Aphex Twin is performing live?

donks
    Free Member

Well as much as I don’t really care for award ceremonies I’m glad that slaves and wolf Alice are in with a shout.
    Slaves have played at our little venue a few times over the last few years as have wolf Alice and the gigs have been amazing each time.

CountZero

P-Jay – Member
    Not me, it’s one of those ‘NME-ist’ things IMHO. A bit of a love-in for music hipsters who lose interest in anything once it becomes popular and the Band / Singer “sells out”.

Perhaps that’s harsh – but they’re certainly the sort of organisation that refuses to accept popularity is any measure of quality – when it’s probably the best measure of them all – if lots of people like something, it must be good, however much it doesn’t suit your particular taste.

They’ve picked some great albums over the years, but usually they choose the fringe outsider who screams nonsense into the mic whilst he mates headbutt their Nan’s cookertop. 🙄

nealglover
    Free Member

anytime anyone says the Mercury prize has gone downhill i just point them to the 1994 contest….
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercury_Prize

But not straight to it though, that would be too easy….

Scroll

Scroll

Scroll…….

slackalice
    Free Member

Are their ego’s ever fulfilled?

Music, film, theatre, performing arts…. What is it with their obsession with annual awards? It’s as though public adulation and financial gain are clearly not enough and a load of peer recognition is deemed necessary to bolster themselves and possibly prevent them from complete self-doubt and obscurity.

Tsk, I dunno.

edhornby

I know the bassist of gogo penguin, they have had a real career boost from their nomination last year, and the fact that it pitches all genres together is a good thing, especially for non-“pop” acts

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘mercury – anyone care?’ is closed to new replies.