Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Mercedes vito strut top bearing removal help please,
  • GaVgAs
    Free Member

I have a broken front coil spring 2007 merc vito, Its tricky getting into the strut top bearing and i cant quite see how to remove the top nut while holding the centre rod, Is there a way of holding it in a way simelar to a antiroll bar link, ie a couple of flats for a spanner, or Torx Allen fixing on the top?

replies much appreciated

trail_rat
    Free Member

Not vito specific but

Is there not a hex or torx in the top of the damper rod ? Sometimes under a plastic/rubber press on cap.

Likely will need a deep offset ring spanner or pass through socket though to make use of it.

I often find these to be the randomly sized 7mm hexs on a number of vehicles.

Edit , curiousity had me google.

http://www.mercedes.gen.in/WP35/mercedes-vito-w639-front-road-spring-replacement/

Seems piss poor visibility is your issue. Some good tips on that page – sparkplug socket with flats on in lieu of spanner or pass through socket is a good un !

mick_r

Again not Vito specific, but working in an automotive structural test lab….

If things are tight or corroded, holding with the hex (or torx) key hole can splay the top of the damper stem when you try and fail to undo the nut – making it almost impossible to then get the nut off once it is loose (as the top of the thread has got “fatter”). Especially relevant as I presume you are wanting to reuse the damper.

In those cases, we’ve had much more success in first loosening the nut with an impact gun (no allen key – just shock the nut). Then hex key and spanner to wind the nut off once initially loosened.

Is it MacPherson strut? Should you not be removing the whole strut (top bearing, damper and spring) and then stripping the damper out on the bench once spring compressed?

Waderider
    Free Member

Also concerned that you are using spring compressors before attempting to loosen damper shaft nut.

trail_rat
    Free Member

I always give em a crack on the vehicle to ensure they are moving free while held by the vehicle to get good purchase on em, saves me carrying em in to the vice. How ever as a above. Compressors on before undoing the top nut or it will get very pai ful very quickly,

Good point on the windy gun – i started doing the same once i got plumbed for air. Its a revelation 🙂

GaVgAs
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies, The strut is still in, both lower pinch bolts are slackend off and ready to remove, the front wiper scuttle, wipers and various bits are also off, however access to the nut and rod is difficult, I have sussed the socket spanner size i need but the damper rod is the next issue, To be fair it was dark last night and i am working outside with hand tools, Ill see if i can borrow a cordless impact gun (i have no air) from the local garage this morning, spinning it off sounds worth a try.

It is a mc phearson strutt and it will be stripped out on the bench,with a spring compressor

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Mercedes vito strut top bearing removal help please,’ is closed to new replies.