Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Mercedes owners – 7g-tronic gear box
  • dirkpitt74

Any one out there got a Mercedes with the 7g-tronic box?

I have a hankering for an E250 AMG Estate but they all seem to come with that gear box.

Is it an old skool automatic slush box or is it an electronic controlled manual like the Audi DSG?

Also anyone had any problems with them?

Mintyjim

I’ve owned a few and they’ve been great! It should have had a dealer service around 40k miles.

It is a torque convertor, slush box but I noticed very little difference with the dual clutch 7 speed on my 2012 3.0tdi Audi.

It’ll last forever, although someone will probably say they’re crap but they’re not. I’ve had 4.

I’ve serviced a couple myself and that’s been pretty easy.

tonyg2003

I’ve had two. The E250 will probably be a 7g-tronic plus which is a little smoother than the early ones. It’s a proper slush box but with modern lock up in most gears. They work very nicely. Multiple modes, paddles and parking hold function.

They have a very good reputation for relibility.

Bianchi-Boy
    Free Member

I absolutely loved my 350 SLK with 7g and paddles. I sold it as I needed the money to finance a house in France. The house is bought and if the SLK became available I would buy it back in a heartbeat.

fd3chris
    Free Member

I have been looking at getting a merc with this gearbox and all I ever read about are the valve bodies going wrong ending in a large bill. Google it as it’s all over the forums and seems common. Also it depends on what year your going for. Earlier ones, say 2006 are worse than later 2010 etc.

Gowrie
    Free Member

I’ve had 3 over the years in 3 different cars. Silky smooth, responsive, no trouble over around 150k miles. One had a little clunk if it changed gear at around 15mph but otherwise you never knew it was there. Superb.

dirkpitt74

Thanks chaps.

Will go and drive one I think.

Looking at 4-5 years old around 50-70k.

When does the box need servicing?

Gowrie
    Free Member

Oil change every 50k is about it AFAIK. I bought all of mine from 25-50k and ran them to 90 to 110k and never touched them.

tonyg2003

The 40k gearbox oil service was an optional extra if I remember correctly. So you may want to check the service records to see if was done (I did but I guess quite a lot of people don’t) or get it done if you are going to keep the car for a good milesage.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

We had an 06 320CLK with one.
    It went bang at around 65/70K & cost 2k to fix.
    We were probably unlucky but It’s put me off Mercs for life.
    HTH.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Mercedes owners – 7g-tronic gear box’ is closed to new replies.