• This topic has 22 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by andyl.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Mercedes CW04
  • Kryton57

Estate 200d,220d, 250d… Good car, bad car?

aP
    Free Member

What model do you really mean?

Kryton57

2011 onwards C class estate. The model year that includes the mirror indicators and 7″ Nav screen.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    aP
    Free Member

W205 is good, BMW owners will tell you that the dynamics aren’t as awesome as their’s whilst completely missing the point.
    Buy a petrol now.

bensales
    Free Member

W/S205 was 2014 onwards. W/S204 was 2011 onwards.

bikebouy
    Free Member

One of these?

I had one for three days whilst choosing my next car (I didn’t buy it, it was close though)

Nice car, plenty of space, didn’t like the big alloys but that’s just me.

Or this?

These are very very popular at my sailing club, for good reason.

davosaurusrex

Can we all club together and buy Kryton a car for Christmas please? Think of it as STW’s Live Aid.

andyl
    Free Member

Go for the facelift (black one above) or the even newer one (the blue one above) if you can. The older version that that model with the smaller LCD is a bit dated.

The facelift and new model are holding their value very well.

If you go for a diesel then the C250 would be the pick of the bunch for me if you can find one due to the 204hp and 500Nm torque, but I refused to test drive the V6 as I didn’t want to be tempted and everyone says it is the engine to have.

On the 4 pot diesels look out for a water leak from the fuel filter housing though – £15 part but labour can be an hour or two so an easy fix really (had mine done).

Sat nav: look for the COMAND system as that is the better sat nav. Might be worth checking for the model year switch as on the e-class it went from NTG4 to 4.5 late 2011. I’m not convinced the newer version is much better but I know some C-class versions ddnt have full post code entry which is a pain (e-class did). As far as in car sat nav goes I find it excellent. I am just waiting for the 2018 map pack to come out as the current version is 2016 so a bit out of date.

jonnyboi

Took a wild guess on the OP.

Nailed it.

Kryton57

Thanks andyl

The black one is precisely the variant I was looking at.

Gary_C

Is Hora using a new login?

Yak

Having driven both a recent c200d and a 318d, the 3series pees all over the c200d. The c200d info dial thing is awful too. It also had 2 recalls and a blown turbo before 17k miles. I would avoid it. Tbh I would avoid both and get a civic tourer.

Mintyjim

Having owned several BMW 335d’s, 330i’s, 2 C350’s and now a facelift C220 125 Edition, aka like the black one above, the Mercedes is as good a handling car as you could hope for- coming from a distinctly average driver.
    All cars have horror stories. Yawn.

The Merc has a great electric lift boot, brilliant sat nav and better seats for my back.
    Yes the V6 is the best but I honestly don’t miss it for 95% of my driving. Get an automatic what ever you decide!

Oh and get the 125 edition because it has the awesome xenon moving and auto lights as standard but even the standard lights pee all over the horrific BMW standard lights!

They’re good value, but the rear seats aren’t too generous, was in the back of a newish Mazda 6 estate taxi last week and there was loads more room! I’d happily have one of those.

The Merc is easy to service at home if you’re that way inclined too.

bensales
    Free Member

“Brilliant sat nav”? I had the top end COMAND system in my 2014 W205 220d and it couldn’t recognise large motorway junctions as islands! Always told you to keep left and then take the 2nd left (or similar). Bloody useless in London when I needed to be many lanes to the right to get the correct exit. Live traffic was always wrong as well. Ended up using a TomTom all the time. Mercedes even used TomTom live traffic!

Also you’d think Mercedes would be able to put the steering wheel central to the driver’s seat. And build a seat that didn’t have plastic reinforcement in the base that dug into your hips.

Or even provide a footrest that someone with size 11 feet can get their foot on. Fancy speaker for the Burmester sound system as above the footrest, and covered in a protective cage.

Slow, agricultural engine. Gearbox was good, I’ll give it that. Not enough room in the back for a 3 and 7 year olds in car seats unless you fancied the back of your seat getting kicked in.

Hateful car. Couldn’t wait to give it back to the lease company. It’s only saving grace was it was pretty.

Mintyjim

I guess it goes to show how different we all are! Bit more expensive lesson than the wrong bike 🙂

bensales
    Free Member

It was a very expensive lesson! Always test drive the spec you’re going to buy! I test drove a car that didn’t have the same stereo or seats.

The other thing I hate was the outright lies on fuel consumption. I’ve never had a car that I couldn’t hit at least the combined mpg figure on, yet on the Merc I couldn’t come close. So it messed up my budgeting, and the BIK was horrendous too.

Mintyjim

But it was pretty!!

andyl
    Free Member

The other thing I hate was the outright lies on fuel consumption

All manufacturers lie. You need to take about 10mpg off the official figure.

The official figure for the E250 cdi is 61.4 but I think that is the normal version not the AMG spec one with it’s mpg dropping 17, 18 or 19″ alloys (i’ve got the 18″ with 265 wide tyres 😯 ). On a trip from the Wirral down to Bristol with the whole of the M56 as stop start and then doing 70-75 the rest of the way down the M6 I was on exactly 61.4. If you are “making progress” then expect that to drop to 50-55mpg on a long run. Still not bad and I think the sport is supposed to be 58 due to the wheels and tyres.

My daily commute is 21 miles there, 35 miles back (town in the morning, motorway in the evening) and I can hit 50mpg, just on a mixed trip of A roads, city, m32 and ring road in the morning. It is more likely it will do 44-48 and never lower than 40 when I leave late and spend 70-90 minutes doing the 21 miles due to traffic.

I would expect the slightly lighter C class with narrower tyres to get a few mpg more. That is with the 7G+ auto box (e-class has the same column mount shifter as Tesla).

One gripe I do have is even in manual mode the box barely lets you actually choose a gear as the software generally overrides but then again I hate trying to drive manual without a manual clutch. I am sure I could get incredible mpg on a manual but that is not what a merc is about. The paddle shifts are standard (only seemed to come on BMWs with the extra sport gearbox pack) and I tend to use them to shift up a little earlier than the gearbox as I can read the road ahead and shift down instead of using the kick down or the sport button.

The real killer on mpg is as soon as you go over 70 in any car the drag square rules really kills your mpg and at 80 on french motorways I would be 5-10mpg lower than driving at the uk speed limit. Sitting at a constant 50 I have had an average 74mpg (not instant mpg) but I was getting a good slipstreams off trucks and large caravans.

andyl
    Free Member

and the BIK was horrendous too.

Well it would be on a premium brand.

If you want low BIK go for a no-frills model from a cheaper brand or electric if you can.

andyl
    Free Member
    prawny

I had a look at the black era one when we bought the 3 series, didn’t like it. And cupholders were an option, wtf!

The blue one is much nicer, but I still don’t like the interior as much as the E class or BMWs. Servicing is allegedly more expensive too.

burko73

Andyl

You should be able to do an oil change at home on that without any ramps at least….

andyl
    Free Member

not to drain it but you will need a step ladder to get over the engine to change the filter and top it back up!

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Mercedes CW04’ is closed to new replies.