Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Merc C class estate & Volvo V70
  • dalesjoe
    Free Member

So I’ve decided to finally get a volvo v70. However, while waiting for the model I want to come up on autotrader I made the mistake of looking at the mercs. While I know the e class is a better match size wise to the V70 there are only 2 in my bracket compared to a huge number of c class estates (30 odd, so much more choice).

So, does anyone drive a c class estate? I’d be keen to know how you find them space wise (1 or 2 bikes in the boot) and also running costs/reliability. I’m looking at 2012 models.

Cheers!

bensales
    Free Member

Good info to be found here: http://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204-83/

I’ve got a new model estate, so won’t comment on reliability or running costs but sizes are pretty much the same.

Boot is a reasonable size. Will take two bikes, but at least one wheel needs to come off, both if a big full bouncer. I use a roof rack which is easier with rails as standard. Rear seat space isn’t the best for adults, especially if the driver is over 6 foot like me. You won’t get bikes in without putting the rear seats down.

If it really is a V70 sized car you need, hold out for an E-class, or look at the 5 series tourer. Should be loads of them around. In hindsight, I should have got an E-class.

andyl
    Free Member

Look for a slightly older E class, current shape came in about 2010, to offset the cost a bit. Or look at a Skoda Superb, pretty much next down in size compared to the E class. V70 must be similar though. 5 series is the car to go for if you enjoy spirited driving.

C class is in the A4, 3 series class which are all way behind the Skodas and Fords of that class for boot size.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    dalesjoe
    Free Member

Great info cheers. As for NEEDING a v70 size were talking first world problems here! I know the V70 & e class would easily be big enough but sounds like I’d still manage to get away with the c class size. I’m over 6 ft too so space in the back seats is important. I had a sit in an A6 a while back. Was surprised how little leg room was left for the passenger once I’d set up the drivers seat. Having said that the boot was vast!

andyl
    Free Member

I personally think the A6 is not that great. As you said the rear leg rooms is not fantastic and while the boot may be long (it’s a very long car) the sloping boot is a PITA. The near vertical boot is what makes V70s so useful.

dalesjoe
    Free Member

I’ve also know of quite a few people who have has some serious issues with the audi’s. So as I’m buying second hand 3/4 yr old I really don’t want to risk getting into any if that! One guy I knew needed a new clutch at 2.5k. Luckily it was under warranty, not something I’m likely to have buying second hand. The other the paint started peeling off the bonnet at 3 yrs old. Hence going to stick to volvo/merc. Am sure they are very nice to drive though.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

The near vertical boot is what makes V70s so useful.

Swedish Bricks FTW!

geologist
    Free Member

DO NOT GET A 2012 C Class Merc!

I have a 2013 as a company car and for a bike owner its pants! My main gripe is that the parcel shelf attaches to the back seats. This means that when the back seats are down and you have a bike in the back, you cant put the parcel shelf over to cover up quick glances from passers by. A major oversight by Merc I think. The boot is also mega small for an estate. My old golf estate had a much bigger boot.
    The fabric/faux leather plastic that is on the inside of the doors is flimsy and just my elbow resting on it for miles has put rips in it.

I could go all day ranting about how I dont like it. Im counting down the days untill I can swp it for a Passat.

It is very fuel efficient, but thats the only plus point.

johndoh
    Free Member

I have an A6 (current shape) and at the weekend I was comparing the boot size to my mate’s Mondeo Estate – I reckon there was very little in it (possibly the Mondeo slightly bigger) but the more vertical boot on the Mondeo clearly makes it a better load carrier than the A6.

matt_outandabout

This means that when the back seats are down and you have a bike in the back, you cant put the parcel shelf over to cover up quick glances from passers by.

I carry a couple of plastic tarps for this.

dalesjoe
    Free Member

Great thanks for that geologist. I’ve had a look at a golf estate and decided it’s too small. So that probably rules out the c class then.

geoffj

I’m looking at year old models. A 320d touring lis looking favourite at the moment, but I do keep being drawn to the V70 too. I think it’s just too big and not quite as good on fuel as the BMW though for me.
    *clicks back to auto trader *

geetee1972
    Free Member

A V70 makes a useful second hand purchase as their residuals aren’t great. I picked up a three year old 2.5T with 22k miles and a top spec for £15k when new it was in the region of £38k! They are bullet proof but then they are pretty old now. Consequently their running costs are higher (their engines are nothing like as fuel effecient as the equivalent in a BMW or Audi) and their service costs are not cheap (but perhaps not that expensive compared to equivalents from Germany).

Honestly I love mine but then I bought it intending to keep it for maybe six or seven years. Four years in I think that’s realistic. They are supremely comfortable and of course, best in class safety wise.

There’s supposed to be a completely new version coming out soon though. Buying second hand negates that to some degree though.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

I looked at C class and 3 series estates and discounted both… too small.

So it came down to a shortlist of 5 series, E class, V70, mondeo, superb.
    Mondeo was the first to come up at a good price/spec so went with that but would have been equally happy with any off that list as a bike lugger.

bensales
    Free Member

Oh yes, don’t rule out a Mondeo mk4 estate. They’re vast.

geoffj

Oh yes, don’t rule out a Mondeo mk4 estate. They’re vast.

But bloody ugly IMHO
    I do like the later version with the Aston grill though

andermt
    Free Member

I’ve been running a C-Class estate for 2 years now and very happy with it.

I only ever put 1 bike in the boot at a time, I use a tow bar mounted rack for any more. It does swallow it okay, and that is usually a 21″ FS framed 29er (although front wheel does need to come off).

Yes the boot cover is attached to the seats so goes down with them, but as it has privacy glass anyway and if the seats are down then anyone can look in the rear passenger windows as that area wouldn’t be covered up anyway I don’t see the issue?

I agree on the rear legroom, it’s a bit tight behind me (I’m 6’4″) but it is possible to get an adult in there for long journeys, my daughter has done it.

The interior is pretty good, mine has full leather, and despite the 50k miles there are no issues.

Overall it’s not perfect, no car is, but we are very happy with it. Yes an E-Class would have had more space inside, but it also has more space outside and we didn’t want a huge car.

tonyg2003

I’ve got a 2013 eclass estate and had a 2008 before that. Both very big and both have been extremely reliable. Each would easily take a 29er in with the wheels attached and seats down and neither have the parcel shelf attached to the rear seats. You can probably tell that I like them.

Although you may get a newer / lower mileage V70 for the same money.

singletrackmind

2003 V70 takes my Trek Superfly 29er wheels on , with the seats folded of course , and swallows my road bike easily.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I can tell you how many sails and windsurf boards go in the back of a XC70 if you like.. 😉

renton
    Free Member

Mondeo is far from ugly………….

I looked at a v70 before the mondeo and found the ride a bit wallowy to be honest. Also they dont have as much rear leg room as a mondeo.

Nice motors though.

The mondeo will swallow my long travel 29er full suss with the wheels on no worries. Ive yet to try with wheels off.

singletrackmind

3 boards , 5 sails , 2 booms, 4 masts , 2 wetsuits and a kit bag full of fins , extensions, wax , string etc.
    The way the front seat folds onto the dash makes loading tons of junk relatively easy , and you can still see out the side window

robgclarkson
    Free Member

got an ’08 c220 estate it’s now got 110,000 miles on the clock and i’ve had from having 40,000 miles on it

faults:
    sat nav screen – £300
    dpf sensor – £250

that’s it.

we went a way camping last weekend and it was full of sand and grass and the general detritus associated with children and camping, and i’ve given it a full interior valet, and it’s come up like a new penny. i think i’m going to put moon and back mileage on it, i like it that much.

it’s comfortable, quiet, economical, fun when you need it to be, relaxed…. for what i’d need to spend to better it there’s just no point.

oh, i never put bikes inside the car, i have a tow bar fitted so they go on there….

geoffj

Mondeo is far from ugly………….

It’s all relative. The new ones look lovely. That one up there just looks old fashioned IMHO

himupstairs

are the pictures of the mondeo taken from a bad parking forum?

dalesjoe
    Free Member

That mondeo looks v.nice. Had a focus in the past which never skipped a beat. Great cars fords but fancy a change this time.

Don’t envy you windsurfing habbit/hobby. I used to do quite a bit but gave it up, good god it’s expensive. Esp when uou can’t even go out as the winds too light/sttong/wrong direction etc etc!

The mercs look lovely but I recon unless it’s an e class I’d better stick with the V70 as the main concern is being able to use the boot for bikes instead of the rack/bars. Just looking at the two on your rack there it looks like it would be a tight fit with them in the back.

E class seem to be rare in my price range though so most likely the volvo or a Passat if one just happened to come up.

renton
    Free Member

Are the pictures of the mondeo taken from a bad parking forum?

Nope if you look at the path there is at least a cars width for pedestrians and pushchairs to get through.

renton
    Free Member

I do like the shape and angles of that merc up there ^^^^ though.

surfer
    Free Member

Ive got a 2011 C class estate sport. Best car I have had by a long way. Always fancied a Merc and got this for 5k off the list as it had 4k on the clock.
    7 speed automatic with flappy paddles etc. Goes great and is smoother than a very smooth thing with smooth bits on 🙂
    I can get very low 40’s on a run but average about 37 so not the most economical car. Done 85k now and nothing other than servicing. I would have another tomorrow.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Merc C class estate & Volvo V70’ is closed to new replies.