Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • Mentally ill folk on the street
  • choron
    Free Member

Just wondering if anybody else has had this experience recently. Around where I live and work (central london) I’ve seen quite a few people recently, looking dishevelled and ranting and shouting at nobody in particular.

Maybe I’ve just been ‘lucky’, or have the cuts started to hit mental health services? Be interested to hear others experiences.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Care in the community, just the standard for ‘safe’ slip a little as purses tighten

Three_Fish
    Free Member

I watched a bloke outside Kings Cross trying to break into his own shoes with a coat hanger.

peterfile
    Free Member

I’ve noticed a huge increase actually. But I’ve just moved back to Glasgow.

maccruiskeen

Around where I live and work (central london) I’ve seen quite a few people recently, looking dishevelled and ranting and shouting at nobody in particular.

Thats Elfinsafety, you should have bought him a pint

EDIT: Actually…. I was in London last week so it might have been me.

joolsburger
    Free Member

There was a woman who regularly danced in her bra and knickers at a set of lights on Trinity Road in Tooting. Care in the community see, or it’s unoffical title of 000k the mentally ill.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

I used to see her! Not so much in the bra and knickers, used to see her dressed, and her friend the rocking woman who used to sit on the bench and rock

bol

I think it is highly unlikely that any mental health trust has reduced their intervention criteria based on the cuts to NHS budgets. Just because someone is acting unusually doesn’t mean that they are a danger to others or themselves – or necessarily ill. Not does it mean they may not be in contact with services.

meehaja
    Free Member

Shutting down day centres, transport to day centres, residential homes, homeless shelters, community care projects and funding to mental health charities.

Welcome to the big society.

yossarian
    Free Member

I walked past a bloke in a suite who was shouting no, No, NO!!!!!

It turned out that he was a yes man on holiday so that was ok.

qwerty
    Free Member

It’s mad innit

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

So should people with enduring Mental Health issues be kept out of our sight?

Lots of people have Mental Health issues where treatment is ineffective, or unacceptable to them, or they successfully evade services.

I’d say I’d see just as many obviously… eccentric… people are obvious on the street in Paris or Rome.

joolsburger
    Free Member

That’s her I rember her rocking mate too. My friend had a flat near there and she was often in her underwear in the summer. It’s depressing but mental illness healthcare is shockingly bad in this country, some great people doing their best but woefully underfunded.

richc
    Free Member

Shutting down day centres, transport to day centres, residential homes, homeless shelters, community care projects and funding to mental health charities.

This is why.

Funding to the NHS hasn’t been directly cut, however the funding to the daycare centers which took the load off the NHS has been removed hence they are shutting down, and the disabled, handicapped are back on the streets, where some tories seem to believe they belong.

Big society in action

glenh
    Free Member

^ this.

Nhs cuts by the back door, for those who can’t fight back.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

That’s her I rember her rocking mate too. My friend had a flat near there and she was often in her underwear in the summer. It’s depressing but mental illness healthcare is shockingly bad in this country, some great people doing their best but woefully underfunded

Wasn’t in Trinity Crescent was he? Moira or Du Cane courts?

tang
    Free Member

Was my line of work. Plenty cuts and pressure on services even 3 years ago. Must be worse by now.

samuri
    Free Member

I’ve seen quite a few people recently, looking dishevelled and ranting and shouting at nobody in particular.

London, yes, that’s it.

Try going to Switzerland. Now they let their crazy people roam the streets like they *want* it to be crazy town.

meehaja
    Free Member

Also in fairness, people yelling at themselves, biting their own feet and taking their clothes off at the traffic lights are quite memorable. Kind of like spotting stereotypical singletrackers, once you start looking out for them they are everywhere!

The real worry is that something like 1 in 8 people are suffering from mental health problems and this is becoming a real epidemic, yet treatment and support is often first cut. How many people did you walk past today who suffer crippling depression, anxieties or are single speeders?

footflaps

I think most people who end up on the street have mental health problems, as that makes the difference between being able to cope with adversity. I did read somewhere that ‘anti-social behaviour problems’ was a key trait of most homeless people – the inability to maintain relationships with colleagues, friends, family, authority meant they missed out on support.

choron
    Free Member

Was wondering as I have had about half a dozen experiences in the past week of people who were on the borderline of ‘eccentric’ and ‘quite aggressive’, and yesterday a guy on tottenham court road threatened to cave my head in (and then various others walking past – no provocation).

Spin
    Free Member

I think that on the basis of all the anecdotal evidence above we can safely assume that this is a massive nationwide problem.

I’m off to write to my MP.

kevj
    Free Member

I once saw a chap sitting in the pub having a beer and was accompanied by a little Churchill insurance nodding dog. We sat and watched him ask the dog a question, then tap the dogs head so it would nod or shake its head. He then agreed with the dog and carried on with the conversation.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Just wondering if anybody else has had this experience recently. Around where I live and work (central london) I’ve seen quite a few people recently, looking dishevelled and ranting and shouting at nobody in particular.

That just sounds more like a pisshead than anything else?

globalti
    Free Member

We used to have a schizophrenic living in our street who took the odd fish from the local reservoir. Lancashire Fly Fishing Association tried five times to sue him and on the sixth occasion they succeeded. The end result was that he has ended up in a secure “home” in Blackpool drugged up to the eyeballs and becoming physically unwell. I expect he will die soon, thus society deals with the few who don’t quite fit.

wingnuts

^^^
    I bet that kind of conversation was really satisfying compared to most of the ones I have at work.

BoardinBob

Glasgow has a disproportionate number of mentally ill people walking the streets.

wingnuts

Abit late I was referring to Kevj

project
    Free Member

bol – Member
    Just because someone is acting unusually doesn’t mean that they are a danger to others or themselves – or necessarily ill.

Posted 1 hour ago # Report-Post

Just that they cant log onto a bike forum,or drive a company car.

GJP
    Free Member

There are probably more mentally ill people who will be logged into STW tonight than you will meet on the streets either this week or next or the one after that. What’s your problem?

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

“The real worry is that something like 1 in 8 people are suffering from mental health problems”
    It’s actually more like 1 in 4. Havent noticed the effects of any cuts on the unit I work on at the moment (acute male psychiatry), but this time last year I was made redundant due to the rehab unit I was charge nurse on being ‘decommisioned’. Christ, I despise this arseing government.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Around where I live and work (central london) I’ve seen quite a few people recently, looking dishevelled and ranting and shouting at nobody in particular.

Thats Elfinsafety, you should have bought him a pint

😆

It’s not funny really though.

maccruiskeen

No – he still owes you a pint

maccruiskeen

“The real worry is that something like 1 in 8 people are suffering from mental health problems”
    It’s actually more like 1 in 4.

are these 1 in 4s and 1 in 8s people who are suffering from mental health problems right now? Or the proportion of us who will suffer from problems at some time?

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

1 in 4 will suffer from some form of mental illness at some time.

project
    Free Member

I worked in mental health for 6 very happy years, and we used to say not all the mad ones where on the wards, just visit any supermarket in the rush hour, or drive ona road, there are a lot of undiagnosed mentally ill out there, some are dangerous, and some are just funny and harmless, treat everyone with respect who seems not quite right, because one day it may be you.

We had ex psychie nurses,steelworkers, policemen, DR,s, teachers , senior accountants and lots more, but one thing they had in common, they needed help and a shoulder to cry on, a safe haven from their sometimes minor demons or very serious personality disorders.

bigthunder
    Free Member

These nut jobs being on the loose are a pain in the arse. Ive had two violent run ins with them(one recently one years ago) and something needs doing about it.

bol

Are you trying your hand at trolling bigthunder?

choron
    Free Member

Feel like I should clarify a couple of things:

I’m definitely not saying that mentally ill people should all be locked up. I just find it depressing that people in need of help might be let down because of cuts and them generally having much of a voice (compared to students, the armed forces, other parts of the NHS etc).

Also the guy that threatened me was definitely not a pisshead. Drunks are slow and glazed while this guy had an intensity that I have only seen before in people having a psychotic episode (not that I’m an expert).

More than anything I was wondering if anybody else had noticed an uptick in this kind of thing. Although the plural of anecdote is not evidence, a quick poll can be illuminating. I’m all for respecting everybody (rare around here, I know), but inevitably some people need care for their own and others’ safety.

bigthunder
    Free Member

Nope not trolling. Was waiting for a bus that ill people used to use(went past the hospital on way to my mums) when I was about 14 and a loony asked me an incomprehensible question. He then got annoyed that I didnt understand him and set about me in a violent fashion. Did what I could but I was cornered and got a right shoeing. He was roughly 40 and big. These do gooder types have had their day and it doesnt work – these violent people should be locked up. Had a similar experience 2/3 years ago(another bus) and ended up fighting with another nut job. These people are just a pain. Not just mentally ill – some neds should just be binned as well. Put them into mine clearing duties(neds not nutters).

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Mentally ill folk on the street’ is closed to new replies.