Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Men's Winter road bike with mudguards – what tyre size?
  • cinnamon_girl

Any advice would be much appreciated.

My son is looking at getting a good value Winter road bike that will take mudguards and I’ve suggested that he should use minimum 25mm tyre width for shonky roads.

From memory Ribble have been mentioned a good few times, is there anyone else to be considered?

Many thanks. 🙂

mooman
    Free Member

I use a Ragley CragVale. But the Ribble winter/Audax is very similar and very popular as a winter hack.

Even though the frame has lugs to bolt on winter guards, I have found SKS Raceblades better.

Should have added. I use 23mm tyres.

cinnamon_girl

Thanks mooman, shall take a look.

jet26
    Free Member

Be selling one very soon with full guards but it’s a 60cm frame. Jet.

cinnamon_girl

jet26 – what height are you?

jet26
    Free Member

6’4. It would probably do 6’1 ish and up. With a longer stem could prob to 6’5 ish too.

I can get measurements of frame if you want – it’s a Borghini frame with full guards, 105 and open pro handbuilts on novatec hubs.

Jet

cinnamon_girl

Thanks jet, will pass details to him.

MoreCashThanDash

The blue Ribble winter frames are supposed to officially only take 23mm tyres, 25 is doable with mudguards but tight depending on real tyres width. Think their steel or carbon one is the one officially designed to take 25mm tyres and guards.

I suspect that the alu Giant Defy with their own special guards may be a very good option, often come up on ebay.

trail_rat
    Free Member

raceblade – better for who the rider or those you ride with ?? – if you find them better than full guards – you bought crap full guards or fitted them terribly – perhaps upside down ?

raceblades and crud guards to be banned from all winter club rides if i have my way – hateful pieces of crap.

jet26
    Free Member

With guards adjusted properly have managed to get 28mm tyres and guards on mine if it helps.

jet

ransos
    Free Member

raceblades and crud guards to be banned from all winter club rides if i have my way – hateful pieces of crap.

+1. I’ve lost count of the number of times we’ve had to stop while someone fixes the damn things. Proper SKS guards last years last years and years if fitted properly.

mooman
    Free Member

I had crud road race guards that rattled & rubbed after a few miles .. Crap IMO.
    I had Sks bolted on full guards that were great, but the plate that fixed onto rear brake was forever snapping .. Nightmare having to take guard off and carry it back home.

The zip tied on race blades are much better. Stay in position all ride.
    Yes – they do flick a bit of water at rider behind if they too close, but safer to give bigger gaps on wet roads anyways with puddles and generally reduced braking distances.
    I fitted a length of mudguard onto the front race blade to extend guard to within about 2- 3″ of the road. No more wet shoes.

TiRed

28C will fit under Raceblade Longs (the guards don’t pass under the brakes). I’d struggle with 25C and proper SKS P35s under a true road bike fork with normal calipers (long drop are fine). If you are riding with normal Raceblades, protect your frame (see fork damage thread earlier).

I have found Raceblade Longs to be very reliable indeed.

cinnamon_girl

Interesting stuff about mudguards!

I’ve suggested to my son that he considers a cx bike for Winter – not yet had a reaction to that!!

cinnamon_girl

Serious question:

What’s the ideal Winter tyre size and appropriate budget Winter bike?

jet26
    Free Member

At least 25c if not 28c.

Ribble winter bike hard to beat if on a budget.

I will def by selling mine too. If it’s any help.

mooman
    Free Member

I use 23mm tyres. Been good enough for me.
    They will slide on ice or wet slippery surfaces .. so will 25 or 28mm tyres for that matter. Bit baffled why they would need to be 25 atleast .. then again, 25 is fashionable on here at moment ..

If he intends riding off road too. Then a cx is perfect.
    If he only wants it for the road .. then a road set up would be best.

As for budget. Thats really up to you and what you want to spend.
    Most get a bike that they accept will get filthy and may have to endure the odd winter fall. So they will not want to spend as much as their summer good bike.

TheSanityAssassin

Kinesis Racelite in the touring version. Bombproof, reliable and don’t cost the Earth.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Men's Winter road bike with mudguards – what tyre size?’ is closed to new replies.