Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Meniscus repair – outcomes?
  • wanmankylung
    Free Member

It’s looking ever more likely that I’ll be getting some surgery to repair my meniscus. Anyone who has had it done – how long did it take you to get back to doing sports to a decent level and was it worth getting it done?

teenrat

Had mine done in October last year. It was a partial meniscus removal and tidy up. I was walking on it later the same day and after about 5 weeks, i was back to riding again. Ive had no pain since so it was definately worth getting done

woody21
    Free Member

I had mine done in December 2013, same as teenrat. Walking same day, driving after two weeks and on the bike at around five weeks. Still get the odd twinge, but the knee does seem a lot freer.

kimbers

I did mine playing rugby when I was 14

Took a year before it was back to normal after keyhole and a few years before the twinges went

Greybeard
    Free Member

It depends how much damage there is to fix. Mine was a “meniscal debridement” – basically scraping the scuffed surface smooth again so that it worked smoothly and didn’t hurt. Walked out of the hospital and was back to feeling normal in 2-3 weeks. I didn’t ride bikes much then, but I was back to canoe/kayak fairly soon and 4 months later did a 14 day trip kneeling in the canoe.

Make sure you do the physio afterwards, particularly the one where you have to flex your ankle to pull your toes upwards.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Make sure you do the physio afterwards, particularly the one where you have to flex your ankle to pull your toes upwards.

Nah – physio doesnt work, it’s a waste of time. It’s all about walking grannies and rubbing muscles. Charlatans all of them. 😉

ekul
    Free Member

I was back training for rugby after 6 weeks and playing after 8. Ruptured my ACL now though 😥

kjrogers

if it’s a meniscal repair then your looking at 6 weeks non weight bearing and potentially another 6 weeks partial weight bearing before being able to start using the leg anything like normally. Thats the protocol for our surgeons at the moment.

gazman428
    Free Member

I was walking the same day, weeks efore I could do any excersice without discomfort.
    fine now except in really bad weather

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

I had a partial menisectomy on 21/12/13 and managed 3 mile road ride on the 12/01/14 looking back through Strava. And then a 10 mile off road ride end of February.
    I had a discoid meniscus tear. Which meant my meniscus was D shaped with a tear rather than the normal C shape.

Had surgery at 1600 back on the ward at 1830 discharged home at 2100. Was told full weight bearing from discharge but was given crutches just in case. Needed them 4 days post op for three days as it was getting quite swollen.

Over twelve months later my knee feels great. Although I think my other ones on the way out now.

Well worth it.

maddyutah

I got a tidy up and removal of a floating bit ,very happy with result.Get it done,I no longer have my daily knee lock lottery when out for a walk

onehundredthidiot

how long did it take you to get back to doing sports to a decent level

It’s minor surgery not a miracle. 🙂

jambalaya
    Free Member

My surgeon told me there is no such thing as meniscus repair, they just cut away damaged stuff to stop the pain. As a result I did not have surgery two years ago but probably going to have it this summer as knee has not recovered properly.

mduncombe
    Free Member

I am in a similar situation with the MRI showing a medial meniscal, posterior horn tear and patella chondral damage. The consultant talked about surgery (debride) and I asked about recovery time and he said it varies between individuals but suggested the following

two days bed rest
    two weeks of limited activity (no driving etc)
    up to six weeks of taking it easy, so easy short rides, physio. strengthening
    then its down to how much pain you can tolerate but it may take up to a year for the pain to go

I think the key here is everybody is different, depending on the nature of the original injury, age fitness etc

5 months since the original injury and I am still working with the physio after having had one relapse after I thought I had got on top of it with strengthening exercises.

woody21
    Free Member

Despite having had the Op in December 2013, my knee seems to be playing up. It feels like it is swollen at the back of my knee and on occasion it locks up. Has anyone else had problems after the operation?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Meniscus repair – outcomes?’ is closed to new replies.