Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Mendips – riding buddies?
  • ssmith1979
    Free Member

So I’ve always found it much easier to motivate myself to go riding with other rather than riding on my own.

With the onset of family and work it has proven much more difficult to get out over recent years – even with the Mendips just on my doorstep.

So is there anyone out there who either rides on Mendip regularly and doesn’t mind someone tagging along – or who wants to ride on Mendip more regularly with someone else!

Initially I’m thinking 60-90min shortish rides on weekday evenings starting around 7pm, possibly extending in to something earlyish on either a Sat/Sun morning as family commitments allow. Riding from bottom of Rowberrow – or could meet somewhere on way up? Pace will be slowish – definitively not a XC racer!

Just an idea for anyone who fancies it. Or maybe see you up there…

email in profile.

Simon.

ifra
    Free Member

Simon,

I ride with the shipham mtb group every Thursday all year round from the swan at 7.45pm, new riders always welcome. There is another group that leaves at 7.45 in shipham both groups finish in swan for food and beer around ten, the group that goes from shipham centre is a bit more gentle paced. There is also a group that go from the crown, I believe it is called the mad cows.
    The shipham mtb also has a sat morn ride

ceepers

Ah ifra I believe we might have a mutual friend.

My mate Richs often leads the gentler paced Thursday evening ride. They are a fun group and a good social in the pub afterwards by all accounts!

ifra
    Free Member

Ceepers,

Yes I know Rich, the social side of it is very good and both groups get on very well, their numbers have increased hugely over the course of this year. The xmas social will be a good one with about 50 attending 😀

ssmith1979
    Free Member

Thank you – sounds like this might work well for me, although Thursdays before Christmas are a bit stacked.

Ceepers – could you maybe pass my email on to your mate Rich and ask him to drop me a line – I’ll pop along first chance I get. Thanks.

nemesis
    Free Member

+1 for Shipham mtb – very firendly lot that I’ve joined in the last few months (the ‘faster’ ride but it’s not really fast)

ceepers

my pleasure OP, consider it done!

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Shipham MTB are by far the most friendly, inclusive and largest of the groups that ride Mendip. Ask to join their Facebook page.

andyl
    Free Member

I am getting unfit and fat, lacking in any motivation (blame work stress) and becoming more of a mincer than ever…apart from that making me sound like someone you really don’t want to ride with I wouldn’t say no to some daylight riding at a weekend.

I was always lead to believe the Shipham group was full of XC whippets that would crush my spirit as they rode up the steep stuff without changing out of big ring…is that not the case?

ifra
    Free Member

Andyl,

The sat morning ride is also a slower paced ride, so you will be fine, there are a few whippets in group but they dont do saturdays and wont be out to play until spring, even the thursday night rides are not overly fast as nemesis says. You will have to turn up for a ride before they let you on the group page now due to unwelcome interest in bikes etc. 10 am from swan in rowberrow if interested

konanige

Andyl, ssmith1979,
    small group from Porkies mountain bike club (pace clue in title) headed out for couple hours on Quantocks tomorrow morning meeting morrisons carpark w-s-m about 9am, nice leisurely pace followed by fast food at Joes burger waggon!!

ssmith1979
    Free Member

Konanige,

Sorry – just seen this – bit late now! But thanks anyway. Quantocks would have been good last weekend…

S.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Mendips – riding buddies?’ is closed to new replies.