Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • MEN Arena eating establishments
  • samuri
    Free Member

We’re going to the MEN arena next week in the evening and we’re looking for somewhere nice to eat within walking distance.

The modern looks OK in Urbis, has anyone eaten there? Any good?

Any other recommendations, any nationality considered.

thanks

ourmaninthenorth

It’s in central Manchester, so lots of choice.

Expensive: Stock – about a 10 minute walk.

Cheap: This and That – cheap and tacky, but ace food. About 4 mins walk. Careful, though, you might find binners and/or hora in there….

terrahawk
    Free Member

I don’t think This and That will be open in the evening, if it is though it is brilliant.

joe1983
    Free Member

Try one of the Chop Houses, Mr Thomas’s on Cross street is a pub / restaurant serving the best traditional food. Think black pudding, amazing homemade steak and kidney pudding etc plus good beers

nbt

THe CHop houses are good, Stock is nice, Chaophraya above one of the chope houses is ace if you like Thai

matthewjb
    Free Member

There’s a Wagamama just round the corner if you like that sort of thing.

And Tampopo opposite which serves similar thai style food.

Pizza Express next door? 🙂

sonik
    Free Member

yeah—deffinately go for thomas’s chop house. unrivaled

xherbivorex
    Free Member

chaophraya is the best thai place in the city, without a doubt.

and according to manchesterconfidential.co.uk, this n that is open til 6.30pm mon-thurs, then 8pm friday and saturday…

MartynS

San Carlo. Great Italian next to Kendels
    Cafe Istanbul. on Bridge street (I think)
    Bit futher away, Live bait on Albert Square. Good sea food
    I personally would avoid anything in the printworks..

easygirl

fantastic indian is east z east, 5 mins walk max

easygirl

fantastic indian is east z east, 5 mins walk max

easygirl

so good i posted it twice !!

samuri
    Free Member

thanks all. east z east is a bit far unless we get the tram back to victoria, ditto the chop houses, wife’s not mad keen on Thai although I quite like it. We’ve eaten at San Carlo a couple of times before.

I think we’ll try east z east and get the tram back.

Ta.

binners

I’ve not been to the Modern but I’ve heard its distictly average.

Your best bet is the Northern Quarter if you’re that end of town. Nothing too posh but the foods good in Trof or Odd. Or there’s a new place called Dough that looks nice.

dooosuk
    Free Member

Samuri – Are you aware there’s two East Z Easts? One is easily within walking distance. It’s also the newer, bigger, better one of the two.

Harry_the_Spider

The Armenian place (can’t remember its name) in a basement off Albert Square is good too.

samuri
    Free Member

aaah, found it now, yep, that looks excellent (east z east), I thought five minutes walking from the other one was a bit ambitious. that’ll do for me then.

thanks.

davey_clayton
    Free Member

I got food poisoning from the place on the ground floor in Urbis, so sadly I can’t recommend it. The food was nice, like, just a bit too poisonous.

montylikesbeer

Try Dimitris at the end of deansgate, great food and atmos

Dimitris manchester

Coyote
    Free Member

Jon, Cafe Istanbul on Bridge Street is deffo worth a look. Been a while since I was in there but the food was pretty damn good. Walking distance? Well to a bloke that tried to cycle Hornsea to Southport in a day, I’m sure strolling from Bridge St to MEN shouldn’t be too much of a challenge. What you watching?

Wozza
    Free Member

East z east isn’t a patch on chaophaya, the food and service are incredible

ourmaninthenorth

The Armenian place (can’t remember its name) in a basement off Albert Square is good too

Armenia Taverna, I think. Years since I’ve been there. Lots of meat.

Café Istanbul is ace – also lots of meat.

Chaophraya is excellent. Only been once. would deffo recommend it.

San Carlo is going distinctly downhill these days. Food not great; service getting more slapdash.

Pau Brasil – essentially a Brazilian churrascaria – so, more meat.

Gaucho Grill – even more meat!

tommytowtruck

Cafe Istanbul is really good – lovely food and excellent service.

samuri
    Free Member

Well to a bloke that tried to cycle Hornsea to Southport in a day, I’m sure strolling from Bridge St to MEN shouldn’t be too much of a challenge.

No problem for me but I had a wife in high heels with me. 😉

What you watching?

Rachel Stephens.

Celebrity Strictly come dancing it was. One of the wife’s birthday presents from me. Rachel and That Kristina woman made the horror of being trapped amongst thousands of boogying middle aged women quite acceptable.

The pregnant woman next to me dropped her coke on the floor half way through. After the splash, I looked at her in horror for a few seconds before she explained that she had dropped her drink.

Many thanks for the East Z East recommendation. Food was absolutely superb, probably the best indian food I’ve ever had. We had to sit near to a loud mouthed Manc but that wasn’t the restaurant’s fault I guess.

gator
    Free Member

http://www.caferouge.co.uk

Nice place – good food

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘MEN Arena eating establishments’ is closed to new replies.