Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Memory Map question
  • ormondroyd
    Free Member

I used to use Anquet maps, and had a whole bunch of my local trails set up as individual segments. When I created a route I’d just add each segment in turn from the predefined ones… dead easy.

I can’t figure out how to do this on Memory Map… am I missing something obvious or do I have to draw out my whole route from scratch each time I create a new variant?

Greybeard
    Free Member

It’s not easy, or if it is I haven’t found it. There are two workarounds I use. One is to convert the route to a track, which I can then split and join as required, then convert back. The second is to use GPSBabel (free download) to convert the route from .mmo to .gpx – and then since GPX is in XML format I can open it in Notepad and cut and paste. Then convert back to mmo and (if necessary) tidy it up by automatically renumbering the waypoints.

You could ask on http://www.memory-map.co.uk/supportforum/viewforum.php?

Junkyard
    Free Member

left click on the highlighted track> right clicking >operations> split track
    start a new track from the split and then same again left click operations>join track to make them one at the end

Bit of a pain to do tbh till you get used to

you can save the original track, do the split and delete the bit you dont want as well so it is easier to get them to join later
    Easy enough once you are used to it.

ormondroyd
    Free Member

Ye gods.

Greybeard
    Free Member

From Junkyard’s post I’m guessing there’s been an enhancement in the latest version – my version 5.1.3 only has the option to split tracks, not routes.

Junkyard
    Free Member

i edited out all reference to route as i was wrong – you can only =do it with tracks…i nearly got away with my error damn you 😀

ormondroyd
    Free Member

Okay, I’ve been giving that a go. Erm. Anyone want to buy a copy of Memory Map with a bunch of Chilterns map? It’s a horrible way to work with a big mesh of bridleways.

ormondroyd
    Free Member

I wanted to map a straight-line out-and-back section from my house to the trails. I guess I’ve got to draw that bit in each direction?

Greybeard
    Free Member

You’re right, it is pretty bad. If you’ve bought the latest version of MM, I don’t think the licence is transferable, ie, you can’t sell it to anyone else. It has “DRM-style” encryption. Which is also bad – I suspect it’s all driven by OS trying to protect their copyright, but if you own it you should be able to sell it.

Greybeard
    Free Member

To map the out-and-back you might be able to save it, re-import it with a different name, reverse it and then plot the trail so that it joins up.

ormondroyd
    Free Member

I’ve emailed asking for a refund. I can’t see this working for me at all.

Junkyard
    Free Member

yes you need to do it twice from my quick play it wont treat it as returning to the start point from what I can tell.

but zoom in and use the same points from what i can tell.
    If you have gps you can ride the route and then import it from the GPS that is what I did

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Memory Map question’ is closed to new replies.