Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Memory foam mattresses – yes or no?
  • DT78
    Free Member

Just back from a week away. Apartment had a memory foam mattress, not used these before.

Initially super comfortable, but by the end of the week had my back clicking and cracking. Not sure if that was lack of exercise and carrying heavy bags or the actual mattress.

Anyone use these long term? I was definitely sleeping heavier than usual.

fivespot
    Free Member

Can’t remember 😀

joepose
    Free Member

Had one for years and sweared by it…… until we got a decent sprung mattress. Foam don’t do it for me sorry.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Yep used one for years but have to use a side sleeper pillow to prevent back aches! If your backs suffering and you sleep on your side try one of them first and see if it eases. You will also have noticed that they are much warmer than a standard mattress but that’s also nice in winter getting into a cold bed it’s warm within seconds.
    I wouldn’t go back to a standard mattress now, having had memory foam….but others will say otherwise.

takisawa2

Had one but didn’t get on with it.
    Replaced with a posh sprung one, with a memory foam bit at the top.
    It’s ace.

I laid down on a Tempura one once, & nearly fell straigh asleep as it was so nice. Pricey though.

andyl
    Free Member

not for me.

DT78
    Free Member

How on earth did you know that link existed??!

angeldust
    Free Member

Big no from me. In fact anyone I know that has bought one, hasn’t liked them.

matt_outandabout

Hmmm, we have both in one.
    We have a sprung mattress that has a thinish layer of foam on top. Most comfy mattress ever, even compared to our last one which was a decent John Lewis sprung job.

hairyscary

Way too hot for me, but i do have a Neanderthal physique.

fasthaggis

No,granite with a fine layer of baby Robin feathers.

marky29er
    Free Member

Couple of years, I liked it, shortly moving back into my own place and will buy another. Cheap ones are carp though.

trail_rat
    Free Member

A yes from me

But as said cheap ones are shit.

Mines wasnt even astronomic, was the firmest in the shop…….like a firm matress i do.

Think ours was 900 quid. Mrs t-r flipped out at me when we got out the shop…life too short for shit sleep, shit bikes and shit tools.

jonnouk
    Free Member

How on earth did you know that link existed??!

I don’t remember where I saw that, I knew I had seen it some time ago. Maybe reddit.

chewkw
    Free Member

I wouldn’t go with the entire mattress made from memory form as I have a feeling I would sink into it while I sleep, so I opted for the top layer memory form only. Keep me warm in a cold night. 😆

IMO if you have a hard sprung mattress (I prefer this due to lower back pain) then the top layer memory form is good.

😀

myti
    Free Member

Love mine would never go back to sprung and only a couple of hundred quid!

P20

Ours is springs (3000 of them apparently) with memory foam top. Very comfortable, but I can find it a bit too warm at times.

wiggles
    Free Member

I love mine, was free because my brother was getting rid after a week of using it as he hated it. So it obviously varies, I’m twice as heavy as him which might have something to do with it…

uponthedowns
    Free Member

We’ve used a Tempur mattress for the last 8 years. I’d only change it for another Tempur mattress or a very top end conventional mattress.

globalti
    Free Member

The foam costs very little to manufacture compared to a proper pocket sprung mattress so they are a gigantic rip-off. They are too hot and you sink in, which makes turning over difficult. Horrible, horrible, horrible.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

We had too, hated it. Way too hot for me and constant back pain. Switched to a pocket sprung Hypnos one now, would never go back.

z1ppy

Love ours & will replace it with the same when the time comes, had it a 3/4 years now, again a tempur branded one. No issues with overheating but you do sink in a bit as it mould to your shape, which if you hurting (back issues) can be awkward to move/turn or get out without the ‘bounce’ of a sprung matteress, overall this is a minor issue compared to the comfort & for us less overall aggravated back issues. No idea why wiggles brother didn’t return his matteress as ours came with a 40 day satisfaction/return option, obviously wiggles ain’t complaining though

unovolo
    Free Member

Have had one for several years and much prefer it to a regular mattress.
    My mother has bought one recently after using our bed looking after the kids whilst we were away,said she had never slept better.

She bought a Silentnight one which came out well in some Which reviews.

julianwilson
    Free Member

We have a cheapish memory foam one (silentnight? Its got a hippo in pyjamas on the label anyway, and yes made me wonder about the markup on the ones that cost four times as much) and massive improvment in aches/ stiffness for me in the mornings. I suppose you get used to your bed whatever it is and sleep best in what you are used to (after spending a year in a shack in africa on her gap yah, my cousin coudn’t sleep on any mattress at all!) but i never feel like i sleep as well on sprung mattresses now, the odd hotel with a memory foam mattress or topper (and the guest room at my dads) are much better. But yes perhaps thats what i am now used to.
    Downsides as above, very very heavy and hot in the summer. And our kids can’t bounce on it quite like i used to on my mum and dad’s bed 😀

RustyNissanPrairie

Boring fact but I commissioned the foam making part of Tempur plant in Tennessee. I used to have the formulations and chemical lists for their foams and some serious NDA’s as well!
    Local hotel that Tempur used for guests and that I pretty much lived in had Tempur mattresses flown in from Europe. Hated the mattresses at first but got used to it. As above-very warm, and difficult to turn over on once you’ve sunk into it.

We have a memory foam topper on a pocket sprung decent mattress and its the best of both worlds.

If you’re buying one then Tempur are still the best ones, Vita Foam, Recticels and Carpenters visco foams are very close, anything else is crap.

croen
    Free Member

Memory foam in action?

Basil

Latex for me,jolly good for me and according to jonnouk’s link good for her.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Just bought the cheapest ikea £80 mattress as it was the firmest I could find, every other mattress I could lay on in a shop was way to soft, do they make firm/hard ones any more? Nearly bought a futon as I always sleep well on those.
    The memory foam ones are far too soft for me.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Just got rid of our thankfully (expensive but bloody awful thing). Had two weeks proper sleep on a proposer mattress. Bliss.

donald
    Free Member

I hated ours. Far too hot and gave me back ache.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Memory foam mattresses – yes or no?’ is closed to new replies.