Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Memory Foam Mattresses?
  • Eddie_fb
    Free Member

Morning all,

My wife is complaining of pain in her lower back when waking, so we're looking for a new mattress. We have a cheap foam, memory-alike mattress at the moment, but are thinking of spending a fair bit more.
    Anybody got any recommendations? Tempur mattresses seem quite highly regarded, but start at £1100 (Kingsize but you could buy a bike for that!) I'll spend that sort of amount if I have to, but don't want to waste it if they're rubbish? Or, are there any other types I should look at?
    What about lifespan, our cheap one was fine at the beginning, but 2.5 years later, it's got dips in it, and we'd hope for some more years than that!
    Cheers, Eddie

Hairychested
    Free Member

Pilates, yoga, gym. Improve her core muscles and flexibility, much better bet than £1100 for a mattress IMHO. We bought ours at IKEA (or was it Argos?) and it's fine. The remaining cash can be used towards a bike for her.

spooky_b329

We swapped ours for a harder ortheopeadic mattress…I find any other mattress too soft now and get back ache. Its nothing special, just firmer.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Eddie_fb
    Free Member

Hairychested – she's already got three bikes, so don't give ideas of any more!

The pain definitely seems related to the mattress though, she's fine for the rest of the day? We have had our first baby at Christmas, so maybe her back has changed/got weaker since then?

iamtheresurrection

We've got a tight pocket spring RelyOn with a thin layer of memory foam on top, it's softer than I thought would be comfy (I've always gone for super firm mattresses), but it's the best nights sleep I've ever had.

I've got a friend who works in a furniture shop who said that Tempur mattresses might kill your sex life! Apparently, you miss a bit of spring underneath and don't realise how much until it's gone… He's had more than one comment made by unhappy customers.

fbk
    Free Member

Waiting for an expensive mattress to arrive as we speak – went for a "sleep to live" one in the end after testing various different ones out. I'm not sure how much if it is marketting bollocks but it comes with all sorts of guarantees, you can have each half made to a different firmness and it was very comfy for the 20 minutes we lay on it for in the shop 🙂 . And we got a pretty good discount!
    We've both got dodgy backs and, considering you spend around a third of your life lying on the thing, I reckon it's worth spending a bit more on one. Could save you a lot in Physio/chyropracter's fees 😉

Eddie_fb
    Free Member

iamtheresurrection – you must have misread my post – I'm married, so I don't have a sex life?

DaveGr
    Free Member

Coupld of years ago bought one direct from manufacturer off the internet – can't remember the site – but it was a LOT less than you'd pay in the shops – like 40% of the price. They are noticably different to other mattresses and took a bit of getting used to. Still unsure if they would really be that much better than a top end non foam one. I looked at the Which report when I bought it.

Compared to non foam – as they support you it's not as easy to move around, you get hotter so can sweat a bit more in the summer. I've heard it said your "performance" can be impaired but personally can't comment about that 🙁

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

We've just gone through the same process with my back. Took an eternity to get going in the morning, and only realised it was the bed when we went on holiday. Memory Foam was discounted quite early on. Not sure why but SWMBO has done a lot of reading up on it. We finished up in quite a good bed shop, and didn't look at the budget end. Sales girl was quite open about it, and would sell us one but was quite critical of the lower end products. "Remember you spend 30% of your time in your bed – get a good one".

We finished up with a Hypnos bed, Cost about £1200 for a Kingsize. But it's good. Instead of waking up at 3AM and lying there I now sleep right through and need the alarm to wake me.

Should get 10 years out of it, so works out quite cheap in the long run.

P.S. H M Queen sleeps on a Hypnos!!!

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I have a Hypnos king size. It's a box-spring type, so the body is properly supported at shoulders and hips. This means that when lying on one side, the spine is not bent out of horizontal along it's length.

Ongoing, I would recommend a physio if the problem persists, then perhaps you can resume that interesting position she let you use on the wedding night and you can get back to, um, er…

😯

JohnClimber
    Free Member

You can pick up a memory foam matress topper for around £80, we love it so much we take it on holiday.

Money well spent…….

ButtonMoon

We have a Tempur, have had it for approx 5years. Gives a great nights sleep, especially when used with the Tempur pillow.

My wife also used to suffer with back issues. They still re-surface every once in a while, even though she does everything possible to help it (pilates/chyropracter/gym etc).

To summerise I would say, they are nice and comfortable/supportive, good quality that hopefully won't collapse like sprung mattresses. But they are a personal preference that cannot perform miracles.

You pays yer money…

oh the nocturnal subject. No problems due to the mattress 😉

petrieboy

pocket sprung with memory foam on top – best of both worlds. as i understood it the full memory foam stops you from moving abound in the night which i would find a bit restrictive. have others found this to be the case??

Sidney
    Free Member

I've also got a pocket-sprung memory foam topped Relyon mattress and I think it's great. Got it for £530 king size.

I twist and turn a lot in my sleep and use to wake my girl up but with the pocket springs this doesn't happen anymore. My sleep feels more refeshing on it but i was surprised at the additional warmth. It is about twice the thickness of our old one though.

julianwilson
    Free Member

Silentnight memory foam one here. It was £250ish from TJ Hughes about 6 months ago and has been fine so far. Very different from a sprung mattress but I really like it. The kids can still bounce on it albeit in a rather 'damped' way!

And no change either negative or positive in our, errr, 'performance'.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

We've had a Tempur mattress and pillows for the last 3 years as my misses has a bad back and neck. We both find it very comfortable and wouldn't use anything else now. I can certainly move around on it no problem.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

" Mr Woppit – Member
    I have a Hypnos king size. It's a box-spring type, s"

Sorry, I meant "pocket-spring". Dunno why I always get that wrong…

😳

steve_b77
    Free Member

We've got a Silentnight Miracoil Memory 3 (I think) and it's hella comfortable, don't half sleep well on it.

On t'other bed in the guest room there's a latex foam topped pocket sprung matress that's also incredibly comfy, got it for £250 (down from £600) as I haggled with the guy in the bed shop when we bought a bed 🙂

Surfr
    Free Member

Tempur 20cm here. payed about 1100 as you say. Its worth every penny though. Suffered from lower back pains and they have virtually gone now.

fontmoss
    Free Member

friend swears by her latex bed, she was put off the memory foam as it seemed to sap all the energy when she tried out sex moves in the shop, the latex one did the opp.

ahem

waynekerr
    Free Member

Had a Snug Supreme 2000 for three years & have to say we have never slept so good as we do now, I reckon Carlsberg must have made them.
    Free pillows too.

lister

MrsLister and me both have bad backs (mine due to spina bifida) and spent years on hard 'ortheopeadic' mattresses that didn't seem to do any good.

On a whim went into a Bensons for Beds in January and got speaking to a saleswoman who really seemed to know her onions (and mattresses)

We spent £600 on a reylon memory foam mattress that seemed SO soft compared to anything we'd slept on…

10 months later I've only been to the chiropractor twice this year (instead of my usual monthly visit) and we are both sleeping SO much better and deeper.

Try it, I really really think it has dramatically changed how I sleep and cope with a bad back.

iamtheresurrection

Eddie_fb – Member
    iamtheresurrection – you must have misread my post – I'm married, so I don't have a sex life?

No, I did notice that. But given my wife was next to me as I typed it I kept that thought to myself… 😉

Relyon pocket spring with foam layer looks well supported (sic) on here – worth a shot?

firestarter
    Free Member

just been looking round on net for toppers . christ so many options 2cm 4cm 7cm 50/75/80 density aaahhh what to go for ? just gonna give the memory foam topper a try on our new coil matteress as our lass still getting bad back. any ideas . ta

coffeeking
    Free Member

Got to try them out, I tried out loads before I got my old one (spring with mem foam). Did wonders for me, before then I'd had a normal spring one and hated it, and had used firm beds but after a few days got backache from them. No idea why they call them [firm beds] orthopedic as these days it's considered to be one of the worst options IIRC. Foam does make you stay somewhat still, but I never notice it – I tend to just wake up where I went to sleep, and have slept far better, except in summer when its really hot as the foam keeps you even hotter.

I'm now on a very soft springy one and having all sorts of back problems from it, but its rented accom and not sure I'd get any better if I moaned.

lodious
    Free Member

Costco do great toppers. Dreams do really bad ones.

traildog
    Free Member

I got one and it just made me boiling hot. I usually get quite cold during the night, but with the foam mattress I was over heating and couldn't get a decent nights sleep at all.
    I ended up spending a fortune on a normal pocket sprung mattress of high quality and it's more comfortable and no where near as hot.

firestarter
    Free Member

cheers chaps

i get hot normally and dont move but our lass is always cold and moving so she'd prob like one lol

i saw a memory foam topper in costco yesterday cant remember the make they only had one at around 140 with vat

might take a trip down this eve and have a look

ta

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Memory Foam Mattresses?’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts