Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Memories of childhood holidays?
  • benz
    Free Member

Don’t ask me why….but one of the abiding memories of childhood holidays for me….

Lancaster (Forton I think) motorway services ‘tower’.

Being of a certain age and stereotypical family classification, our hols invariably involved going on caravan holidays within the UK.

Toss up between the tower there and the Post Office Tower…..both are architectural memories from those family holidays. As are the services bridges.

Possibly incluenced by watching Gerry Anderson stuff on TV as a kid.

gusamc
    Free Member

Triumph Herald convertibles, blue and orange ridge tent with wooden poles, Exchange & Mart US army down sleeping bags (feathers every where) and camp beds, primus stoves and tilleys, midges, midges, midges, cheeky camping all over Scotland, esp on the old road ‘loops’ that were just beginning to be improved, ending up with friends in Huna, fishing off the pier, outside shunky, fish auctions at Scrabster, building dams across streams on every beach I went to, hunting buckie groaties at John O’Groats …. glorious times

donsimon
    Free Member

Cycling around Harlech with my cousin, him on a 3 speed road bike, me on his sister’s Raleigh Shopper.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    SST
    Free Member

We used to drive to Spain for 2 weeks at Estartit, or Italy for 2 weeks at Lake Garda.

4 adults, me and my sister all in a Vauxhall Victor with a double length roof rack 🙂

Fantastic holidays. Happy days indeed.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

we were poor but happy. trips to south coast beaches. home made pasties. sand in everthing. fella chatting up my sister. sun burn

oddjob
    Free Member

I’m spending a fortune this summer to take my kids to Cornwall for a holiday based on childhood memories. It’s a bloomin long drive from Denmark 🙂

Rubber_Buccaneer

Mum, Dad, my sister & me cycling across the south of Ireland to Kilarney. Our collection of bikes included a Raleigh 20 shopper and a Chopper. Luggage was in rucksacks. We had no idea what we were doing, I think social services should have had a word with my parents but it was my (bad) idea.

I remember pain, a farting horse cart ride in the rain, pain, an american looking at an independence memorial and loudly saying “I didn’t know you had it yet”, more pain, etc.

cynic-al
    Free Member

1 week in a holiday cottage in Magilligan (sp) shared with cousins.

Cold sea is what I remember…

McHamish
    Free Member

I found a dead fish under our caravan in Port Soy, Mum wouldn’t cook it for me.

I also remember being sent off for “un bloc d’glace” at Euro Camp, I took my Action Man Tank with me (obviously) but got caught short half way to the shop. Left my tank in the hedge and poo’d myself a little bit while running to the toilets.

Happy memories.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Bridge End Farm at the North end of Thirlmere. Sliding down the grassy hill on a sheet of cardboard, catching titchy fish in St Johns Beck, going up Helvellyn when I was about 7 (I’m talking 1963 here)
    Happy camping days with Mum & Dad, now sadly gone.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Most memorable was a mendering camping trip to Orkney with a bell tent and primus stove in a Rover P5. My mum and Dad were Queen’s Guides and Scouts so expert campers. They had us making all manner of camping gadgets from sticks and string.

The trip highlights were watching the car being lifted into the hold of the ferry in a cargo net, and bacon rolls from the ferry kitchen which was next to the open door to the polished and painted engine room.

druidh
    Free Member

Camping in the Scottish Highlands.
    My folks, my older brother and myself with a collie – all in a Morris Traveller.
    The A9.
    The campsite at Strathpeffer that is now a housing estate.
    “Wild” camping at these out-of-the-way bits of land my Dad knew. I (much, much) later found out that they were regular campsites for the tinkers/travellers.

Sorry – I seem to have something in my eye…

druidh
    Free Member

mcm – loving the photo.
    I remember my first visit to Skye when the Mallaig-Armadale ferry had this wee loading elevator. Bloody scary balancing on that on a fully-laden motorbike!

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Sorry – I seem to have something in my eye…

Me too Druidh. 😥

MussEd
    Free Member

Welsh Rain. English Rain. But mostly Scottish Rain. In a Saab, to the sound of Johhny Cash, Elvis and The Dubliners. Breathing in cigarette smoke nd arguing with my two sisters. Good times….

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Druidh, they use to load animals in cargo nets, I’m struggling to find an image.

Before the outer isles ro-ro ferries came into service, fishing boats transported cars.

The Glenelg ferry was another favourite.

Sonor
    Free Member

Playing on the beach at Charmouth and climbing Golden cap, playing in the river Char. Also staying on a farm in Langton Herring close to Chesil Beach, going into Weymouth and playing the Star Wars arcade game(late 70’s)

And also driven about in a Vauxhall Victor Estate.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Memories of childhood holidays?’ is closed to new replies.