Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Mellow gravel rides around Lochgilphead
  • troberts1994
    Free Member

I’m up in Lochgilphead for work on Friday and was thinking about taking the SSCX bike up for a mess around on the Saturday. Can anyone recommend some mellow “gravel” rides in the area?

Cheers

somafunk

Head along the very scenic Crinan canal path from Ardrishaig to Crinan, have a pint/bar lunch in the Crinan Hotel or a scone/coffee in the cafe, have a pooter about the place if the weather is nice, perhaps go down to the old Crinan Harbour and head back the way you came.

Roughly a 25mile day out if you start in Lochgilphead and ride to Ardrishaig to join the canal.

Crinan Canal here

I used to stay in Ardrishaig and also in Crinan (kilmahumaig barn) also Achnamara and Castle Sween as a kid, brilliant place to grow up.

househusband

We had a holiday in the Crinan Canal a couple of years ago and really liked the area; a great place to grow up as somafunk says – can see why so many folk retire and move there.

So, so much forestry track…just look at OS map and explore!

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

Mind and pay a visit to the island at achnamara (can be easily reached at low tide).

I haven’t checked out somafunks route (above), but I recall when I got to Crinan, there was a path up the hillside that eventually led to tavyallich.
    Quite steep but the views across to Jura, etc were excellent.

Don’t know what the tides are like, but surely a boat trip to corryvreckan?

troberts1994
    Free Member

All cracking ideas, cheers guys! I work in forestry so know some of the tracks in the area although I’ve never been far along the canal so I’ll check it out. But yeah, I’ll get an OS map and go get lost!

niall1
    Free Member

There’s a nice track along the north side of Loch Caolisport which links a 35mile loop of Knapdale. Head along the canal and over the pass to Achnamara and keep going past Castle Sween to Kilmory. The tarmac ends but the 4 miles of track is doable on a road bike with care, and comes out at Ellary onto the road back up to Lochgilphead. If you don’t fancy the main road there is a track in the forest above which is marked as a Sustrans route. Cracking views.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Mellow gravel rides around Lochgilphead’ is closed to new replies.