Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Megavalanche with the family.
  • samcamsdad

Mega entries open tomorrow and its something I’ve wanted to do for a while now. Has anyone done a mega week, and taken the family with them?
    is there much to do for my wife and three kids out there, while I’m riding most the day? Don’t want to drag them all the way down there, and have nothing to do all week.
    I could do it by myself but its along time away from home.
    Anyone any experience or done something similar?

Cheers

bobbyspangles

depends on how interested they are on being in the mountains?

lucien

Non biking activity is vast and varied, depending on budget and what you want to do. Many of the big resorts offer walking, limited skiing, via Ferrata, paragliding, go ape type stuff, indoor / outdoor swimming pools, quad biking, canyoning, climbing, scrambling. There are a few nicer hotels around, although Alpe d’huez is a bit high rise apartment blocks so might be worth staying lower down if family after other stuff. Couple of decent ish campsites in the valley and a bit more going on. All activities would be impossible to do without a car as they are spread about a bit.

samcamsdad

We will going over in the van, so no problems getting around when were there, i can use lifts and pedal, so they can get about.
    No problem being in the mountains, just like where we live, but a bit bigger!

deadkenny
    Free Member

There’s a kids event in the Mega I think? Enter them in that 😀

mtbtomo
    Free Member

How old are your kids and whether your other half is fairly active?

We’ve been there with kids but they were 4 and 2 at the time so there wasn’t much for them at that age (the attendants on the lift stations were even dubious about them going up to altitude). There is swimming pool in AdH and swimming pool at the bottom of the mountain in Bourg d’Oisans. There are ice caves which are worth a look at Les Deux Alpes.

There’s still snow up high at Les Deux Alpes – so there’s still skiing going on.

There is a go-ape style place in the valley (shut out of season). We found some Via Ferrata but health and safety somewhat laid back – basically “here are your harnesses, pay when you get back, see you later”….and the cables on the rock faces weren’t that taught, so you’d likely need a rope to recover yourself if you fell and ended up dangling on your harness.

The Megavalanche race(s) themselves are worth a watch and all the riders come through AdH on the main run.

However, its probably more fun doing the Mega with other riding friends tho, cos there’s a lot of queueing to get to the top of the mountain, and I dare say it could seem a lonely place if you’re on your own and at all intimidated by the thought of the mass start and the rest of the race 😉

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Megavalanche with the family.’ is closed to new replies.